“Quality....30 years ago”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Quality....30 years ago”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

we stood here for one night to go play at Treetops.

Was remarkably outdated(which isn't the worst thing because looks aren't everything in a cheap hotel) but the bed felt like it was 30 years old. Super stiff, slept horribly because of it.

Ironically, the guy running the front desk's main comment to us was how comfortable the beds were. In hindsight, i am wondering if he was being sarcastic.

I would stay somewhere else if we head back up there. The free breakfast sent you next door for scrambled eggs, 1 piece of toast, and 1 piece of sausage with some hash browns straight from the freezer bag. Would of been better off not eating.

I hate to leave poor reviews, but this stay was awful.

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ryan G
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry your recent stay did not met your expectations. We use guest feedback to make us aware of ways we can improve. We are an older property but we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and staff service. We are constantly making improvements and upgrades.

We have recently gone through a change with the ownership of the restaurant that provides our breakfast. We have been receiving many compliments about the service and food quality.

We hope that if you are in the area again you would give us another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Checked in, took the person at the desk at least a full minute to look up and say "do you have a reservation"? Not "how is your day", "sorry for your wait", "I'll be right with you"...not even a smile. Told me to go in an outer door that they knew didn't work most of the time. The doorframe around this door had big chunks of concrete missing. And that was on the inside! Didn't work for me either. The room smelled really bad. Beds were horrible. This hotel is old, old, old and is in serious need of a complete. Along with the staff. My wife and I travel extensively and have stayed in many quality inns. This is by far the worst one ever and we would never stay here again or recommend that you do.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Etimblin
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We are an older property but we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and staff service We are constantly making improvements and upgrades. We are currently in the process of improving the exterior and interior of the building. If you are ever in the area again, I hope you may try us again. We would love to show you some of the improvements we are working on.

Travelers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

Scotts, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an older hotel which is in good shape. The pool area is very nice, the hot tub was a bit too hot, but pool was good. I did not care for the breakfast. There was nothing healthy to be had. Scrambled eggs, ham, potatoes, biscuits and gravy. The orange juice tasted like tang. No fruit, no toast, no oatmeal, not even cold cereal. They really need to have the "typical" choice hotels breakfast. The breakfast is held in an adjacent bar/restaurant.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. We are an older property and try our best to make sure our guest enjoy them selves. We apologize that breakfast did not meet your expectations. The attached restaurant is independently owned, and I will make sure to share your comments with them. We hope to see you again on a future visit.
Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My advice is to look at your room before committing to it. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything positive to say. The free breakfast was served in steamers that have not been properly cleaned. Our room was dingy. We had a pipe running through our room that was noisy every time the toilet above our room was flushed. This really needs a major overhaul. The hotel is not up to the normal Quality Inn standard

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out of you busy schedule to write a review of our property. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations.The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. We are an older property that strives to maintain and improve to the best of our ability.
The restaurant that is attached is independently owned. I will make sure to address your problems with that owner, so that in the future these issues will not happen again.
Parkhill, Ont
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We decided to stop in a new place on our way up north, and selected the Quality Inn at Gaylord, Michigan. It was an older looking building but it was clean and looked like some up-grading had been done. The room was spacious and looked out into the pool area. We went out to sit and enjoy the late afternoon but we were disappointed. They had a patio that was not in the best of repair but maybe part of the future plan to up-grade. There were benches along the sides of the patio but no chairs. Luckily we had chairs in our car. In the evening we went down to the lobby and enjoyed a coffee and sat on a nice sofa and watched TV for a few minutes. I was slightly disappointed when two girls decided to do housecleaning and one turned on the vacuum cleaning and proceeded to clean around our feet. This was at about 8 PM in the evening. The breakfast was real good, served in their restaurant. You had a choice of 4 different plates. I went for the French toast and my husband had pancakes. They were real tasty. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The only night complaint we had was there was a fitness room beside where we stayed and something made loud thumps that continued on for about 1/2 hour -- and this was after midnight. But all in all we enjoyed our over-night stay and likely will go back when driving up through the district.

Room Tip: ask not to be beside the fitness room. I am sure that is where the noise was coming from at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are an older hotel but we try our best to make our guest feel comfortable. We are currently doing some improvements to the property and the patio is on our list. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the area.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our stay was quite pleasant. The room was clean and appeared to be somewhat updated. The bedspreads could use replacing. I wished the window would open but the air conditioning worked well. Mattress was comfortable. The continental breakfast was ok but if you had cereal or tea you had to ask for milk. I heard some people comment that they ran out of food. I guess the early bird gets the worm. I would recommend a stay but felt the price could have been a bit better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick G
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. I will pass on your kind words to our team. We are an older property but we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and staff service. We hope the next time you are in the area you choose us again.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked this room so we could stop and rest on our journey home from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In hindsight, we wish we had driven straight thru and slept in our own beds.
The pool was fine, a little chilly at first but that's not unusual.
The hotel and our room are showing their age. Exposed pipes and/or ductwork in the halls didn't exactly evoke feelings of comfort.
In our room, an outlet was in serious need of repair. I took a picture of it--check it out in Photos.
Worst of all was the sleeping situation. The mattress springs were easily felt. I kept waiting for them to poke up during the night. Ended up with a fitful sleep and woke up way too early.
Breakfast was just 'okay.' Good thing there's a Tim Horton's down the road so we could get a decent cup of coffee.
And when I asked about the Choice privileges reward currently in effect there was no attempt to answer my question--I was casually told to call another phone number.
Like I said, we wish we had driven straight thru from the UP. Total waste of money and won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2013
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. We are an older hotel but we try our best to make our guest feel comfortable. I hope you let the front desk know about the outlet and the issues you had with the mattress so that both problems could be taken care of. Again, I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay.