“Good room, mediocre breakfast”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Scotts, Michigan
“Good room, mediocre breakfast”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an older hotel which is in good shape. The pool area is very nice, the hot tub was a bit too hot, but pool was good. I did not care for the breakfast. There was nothing healthy to be had. Scrambled eggs, ham, potatoes, biscuits and gravy. The orange juice tasted like tang. No fruit, no toast, no oatmeal, not even cold cereal. They really need to have the "typical" choice hotels breakfast. The breakfast is held in an adjacent bar/restaurant.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. We are an older property and try our best to make sure our guest enjoy them selves. We apologize that breakfast did not meet your expectations. The attached restaurant is independently owned, and I will make sure to share your comments with them. We hope to see you again on a future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My advice is to look at your room before committing to it. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything positive to say. The free breakfast was served in steamers that have not been properly cleaned. Our room was dingy. We had a pipe running through our room that was noisy every time the toilet above our room was flushed. This really needs a major overhaul. The hotel is not up to the normal Quality Inn standard

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out of you busy schedule to write a review of our property. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations.The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. We are an older property that strives to maintain and improve to the best of our ability.
The restaurant that is attached is independently owned. I will make sure to address your problems with that owner, so that in the future these issues will not happen again.

Travelers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

Parkhill, Ont
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We decided to stop in a new place on our way up north, and selected the Quality Inn at Gaylord, Michigan. It was an older looking building but it was clean and looked like some up-grading had been done. The room was spacious and looked out into the pool area. We went out to sit and enjoy the late afternoon but we were disappointed. They had a patio that was not in the best of repair but maybe part of the future plan to up-grade. There were benches along the sides of the patio but no chairs. Luckily we had chairs in our car. In the evening we went down to the lobby and enjoyed a coffee and sat on a nice sofa and watched TV for a few minutes. I was slightly disappointed when two girls decided to do housecleaning and one turned on the vacuum cleaning and proceeded to clean around our feet. This was at about 8 PM in the evening. The breakfast was real good, served in their restaurant. You had a choice of 4 different plates. I went for the French toast and my husband had pancakes. They were real tasty. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The only night complaint we had was there was a fitness room beside where we stayed and something made loud thumps that continued on for about 1/2 hour -- and this was after midnight. But all in all we enjoyed our over-night stay and likely will go back when driving up through the district.

Room Tip: ask not to be beside the fitness room. I am sure that is where the noise was coming from at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are an older hotel but we try our best to make our guest feel comfortable. We are currently doing some improvements to the property and the patio is on our list. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the area.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our stay was quite pleasant. The room was clean and appeared to be somewhat updated. The bedspreads could use replacing. I wished the window would open but the air conditioning worked well. Mattress was comfortable. The continental breakfast was ok but if you had cereal or tea you had to ask for milk. I heard some people comment that they ran out of food. I guess the early bird gets the worm. I would recommend a stay but felt the price could have been a bit better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick G
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The feed back we receive from our guests is incredibly important to us. I will pass on your kind words to our team. We are an older property but we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and staff service. We hope the next time you are in the area you choose us again.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked this room so we could stop and rest on our journey home from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. In hindsight, we wish we had driven straight thru and slept in our own beds.
The pool was fine, a little chilly at first but that's not unusual.
The hotel and our room are showing their age. Exposed pipes and/or ductwork in the halls didn't exactly evoke feelings of comfort.
In our room, an outlet was in serious need of repair. I took a picture of it--check it out in Photos.
Worst of all was the sleeping situation. The mattress springs were easily felt. I kept waiting for them to poke up during the night. Ended up with a fitful sleep and woke up way too early.
Breakfast was just 'okay.' Good thing there's a Tim Horton's down the road so we could get a decent cup of coffee.
And when I asked about the Choice privileges reward currently in effect there was no attempt to answer my question--I was casually told to call another phone number.
Like I said, we wish we had driven straight thru from the UP. Total waste of money and won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2013
mi702, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. We are an older hotel but we try our best to make our guest feel comfortable. I hope you let the front desk know about the outlet and the issues you had with the mattress so that both problems could be taken care of. Again, I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay.
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My stay was your basic average kind of stay. Check in was fast and simple. Hotel staff was very nice. The hotel is older and the wall paper proves it. The beds were comfortable. The only updates I seen were the coffee makers. The room still have the older t.v's. The air/heat worked but took a little while to get the room warmed up. The high setting seemed to be a low setting. It was quiet. The pool area was nice. I didn't swim myself but other people I was with did. I did however get in the hot tub. It was pretty hot! I'm not sure why they have a 4 person maximum when clearly you can fit 6-8 people. The area was pretty clean but they did run out of towels. The game room consists of 4-5 older arcade games. The breakfast bar I would give a 2 out of 5. The potatoes were pretty gross. The only thing I ate were pancakes and french toast. It was a self serve. They had scrambled eggs, I don't eat eggs, fruit, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, I did try these and they were gross, sausage which wasnt the greatest and 2 choices of dry cereal. They offer orange and apple juice. You could order water and coffee from the waitretress. The waitress cleared your plates. Which means you have to leave a tip. We also went to the wild west lounge that was attached to the hotel( this is where the breakfast bar is located). The staff there were awesome! They went to the store and purchased what we wanted to drink. I'm not sure if they were out or didn't carry it in general. The kitchen was closed and he opened it for us. This was on a Friday. Saturday we went to the elk reserve and to our function, and when we returned we went back to the lounge. They had karaoke, there were only a couple other people in there besides our group(it was like that Friday too)once again the kit hen was closed but they opened it for us again. The karaoke guy was a little too much at times, but we had fun. I would say our stay all in all was OK. I would stay here again if it was for a weekend trip.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you will return to our property for any future visits to the Gaylord area. We are an older property and try our best to make sure our guest enjoy them selves . I will let the restaurant know that you had a wonderful time over there also. We look forward to your next visit!!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I found this hotel to be satisfactory for a convenient economical place to rest. Upstairs room was quiet, clean, bedding comfortable. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. This is an older property and is undergoing changes, but the rooms have received the best care. Too many properties upgrade the outside leaving you to suffer inside, but not here. The staff quickly addressed my needs including last minute reservations.

Room Tip: No elevator but second floor was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business