“Worst Hotel by choice”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Worst Hotel by choice”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have worked for choice hotel for the last 5yrs'and I believe this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.I was called a liar by some kind of wanna be cook after my family complained about the food. Rooms need major work done in them.I was told it was cause we stayed in the old half,thought the whole place was old.Will say the pool was good.

Room Tip: don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed now twice and we had been hearing negative things. We find it hard to believe anything bad about this hotel. Again our service was amazing and the rooms were great. You it only takes some selfish people to ruin a great experience. Quality Inn we take our hats off to you. The restaurant was great. People need to see the size of skillet my husband ordered. We are driving back just to try some of their wild game. Good job Tim. Told you I would mention your name.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed for honeymoon. We had great service and our room was extremely clean. Our hottub was even spotless which I've seen a lot of dirty ones. The staff were all friendly. We even got hot food for breakfast instead of cold whatever. The dining room was full and people were impressed. Top notcth effort Plz. Keep up the good work will be back.

• Stayed August 2012
Flushing, Michigan
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed for one night only and by far was the worst ever we have stayed in. it was more than we could take I have never written a review before now, but I feel I must about this place. Travelers beware!!!!! When walking in the room it smelled like bug spray that should have been our warning sign to demand a refund. Terrible carpet throughout the facility dirty, stained, and stinky. I woke up with bites on my ankles hips and wrist. We looked for bugs and could not see any, but while stripping the bedding off we found the mattress to have what appeared to be a large blood stain 1.5 foot in diameter under the pillow end simply gross. The breakfast was as poor as the upkeep as the rest of the facility. Would have done better to just sleep in the car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mi702, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it is taken very seriously. We take every step including staff training and implementing professional preventative programs to ensure our guests’ comfort.

This was an isolated incident and if reported the room would have been taken off line and professionally inspected. Unfortunately if the problem is not brought to our attention at the time we are unable to respond appropriately.

We apologize for any inconvenience and discomfort the guest experienced.

Guest satisfaction and comfort remain our number one priority.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This place is in desperate need of an update. the carpets on the stairs are torn and the wall paper looks like it has been there for ten years too long. The staff was friendly.
Stay away from the free breakfast. It is free for a reason I guess. The place where they serve it smells of old smoke and I believe it is an old bar. Very dark and grungy. They brought us a coffee to our table and we asked for cream, and they gave us powdered coffee whitener. We went up to see what they had and saw what I think was ham floating in some disgusting liquid, rubbery eggs and hamburger buns for toast thrown in a steel container. There was a pot of something that may have been oatmeal with raisins, at least I think they were raisins. lol..I mentioned to the lady in line that the breakfast was disgusting and she said it was worse last week, OMG, she came back??? It was thoroughly disgusting. Go to McDonalds down the street.
The hot tub needed a good cleaning too. The scum was so dirty floating on the top of it.

I will not stay here again. Spend the money and stay elsewhere. I booked at the last minute and this was all I could find. Live and learn.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Roberta B
mi702, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your response. We are always upgrading the hotel. Every year we do some more remodeling. New wallpaper is in our future.
I’m happy to say that the attached restaurant is under new management. This is very recent. There has been a huge improvement of the quality of food and service as well as some very serious deep cleaning.
Please come back and try us again.
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There are only a few choices in Gaylord if traveling with pets. This is the best choice (Don't even think about any value inn's no matter how much they think they're the best in America.) Check-in was a breeze and they gave me a ground floor unit close to an exit door. This was great for taking the pup out when he needed to go out. The room was dated but clean. The price was a little steep but this is tourist season in northern Michigan. I had a 3 night reservation but had to shorten it to one night. The rate went up $10 as a result.

I didn't try the breakfast this time but the last time I was there it was disappointing so I didn't bother and went and got a very delicious bagel and cream cheese from Tim Horton's.

The room was clean and no issues were noted but the bill included a safe fee which I was never given the option of having or not having. It seems like that should be included in the room fee if there's no option.

I'd stay here again when traveling with my dog. The people were very nice at check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: They actually DO have pet rooms that don't smell like cigarette smoke. Try to snag one if you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review. We do appreciate your continued patronage.
The next time you visit as our guests please give them a try.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel is located at I-75 and Route 32 in Gaylord. It's an early '70s structure with interior corridor rooms. It is pet friendly. The hotel is dated, but generally clean and in working order. The price is conistent with its age and quality. There is an attached restaurant with a lounge that is open very late. A real plus is the hot breakfast included in the price. The breakfast is hearty and made to order from a limited menu. Overall, an acceptable highway hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
mi702, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thanks so much for your post. We hope to see you again.