“NIce Place to Stay in Gaylord”

Royal Crest Motel Gaylord
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
A TripAdvisor Member
“NIce Place to Stay in Gaylord”
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Every year we stay in the Gaylord area when traverling to Canada on Vacation. This year we tried this hotel and what a find. The staff was very knowledgable about the area and referred a nice resturant in town. The breakfast the next morning was great unlike most hotels. The pool area was very cool and my kids loved the fish painted on the bottom and palm trees on the walls. Guestrooms were large and very clean. We mostly stay at Hampton Inns and wanted to try something different this time and realy enjoyed our stay here and will refer this property to others.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed April 24, 2006

We stay at this property every year and it keeps getting better every Year. The Owners live on site and cater to all guests. They make sure all is taken care of and that the Guests come first. The place is very clean and the guest rooms are oversized. The Swimming pool is neat and our kids loved it. Hottub and sauna area was great. I would reccomend this property to all and have had friends stay here and they too love the place

• Stayed April 2006
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My husband and I summer in the UP every year, and since we've moved to Indianapolis, Gaylord has become our half-way point. We had stayed at the Best Value Inn before, and had hoped its guest service had improved. It hadn't.

When we checked into our non-smoking room, it smelled like stale cigarette butts. (I surmise it had been previously a smoking room, but when it was changed to non-smoking, management failed to replace the smoke-drenched carpet.) When I complained about the room, the desk clerk said that I had a non-smoking room. (Totally beside the point. The issue was that the room smelled of cigarette smoke. After having my sense of smell heightened by pregnancy, I know cigarette smoke when I smell it.) All she said was that the room was a non-smoking room, and that she couldn't do anything; she had to have manager approval (who conveniently appeared when the majority of guests left the next morning) for any comps. She said she probably could find another room at another hotel in town. (In August? During high season? Yeah, right!) I told her that my husband and I had driven 6 hours with a hungry, crabby toddler, and we weren't going to wait--that we were going to resolve the issue right then and there. In essence, I forced the clerk to comp me $20 for the room, which I told her I wanted validated in writing. (I didn't want any surprises from the manager the next day.)

The next day, my husband and I found the manager to be was very rude and uncooperative. She seemed bothered to have to open the exercise room/pool/spa area, even though it was 10am and it was supposed to open at 7am. (The exercise equipment was shoddy at best.) It took five minutes for the manager to replenish the butter that my husband had requested; by the time she returned, his breakfast was cold. (Breakfast was rather mediocre.) Upon checking out, the manager was upset and bothered by the comp we received, and said that she would have to contact the clerk from the night before to verify it. We told her that we couldn't (and wouldn't) stick around because we had to leave to catch our ferry further north. After our return from Michigan, we checked our credit card statement to ensure that some hotel charge didn't mysteriously appear. (Luckily, it didn't.) In sum, a horrible, horrible experience.

It seems that the managers at this hotel don't care about the type of service they provide their guests because they know that they can fill their rooms during the summer season. My husband and I only stayed here because the other hotels in town were booked. This year (2006), we booked early, and have reservations at the hotel we wanted. I recommend the same. We don't mind spending a little extra if we know we're getting quality customer service. And you shouldn't either. (You are on vacation after all! Why go through the hassle?) Don't end up staying at this hotel of last resort. AVOID this hotel LIKE THE PLAGUE!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
rc071049, owner. manager at Royal Crest Motel Gaylord, responded to this review, July 27, 2007
This motel is now back under the ownership and management of the original owners.
Many improvements have been made. We are hoping to see the return of our many loyal friends and customers from years past and look forward to meeting many new ones.

Travelers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

La Porte, IN
Reviewed January 31, 2005

We stayed for a weekend of snowmobiling. The owners and staff were very friendly. The hotel was older but very clean, the pool was good size and the water temp was very warm in both the pool and hot tub. They had easy access to the snowmobile trails right accross the street and enough room for trailer parking. A great value for the money

• Stayed January 2005
2 Thank boaterbums
Suttons Bay, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2003

This little place is a hidden gem in Gaylord. Of the beaten track (NOT close to the noisy expressway) and clean as a whistle. Plus, great rates. Plus, a wonderful continental breakfast!

2 Thank lindeano