“If you can ignore the age and weariness, sheets were clean.”

Royal Crest Motel Gaylord
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was probably a fun place at one time. It has three buildings, the central one being registration with a big open room, a cramped space where a starchy breakfast was available, and the swimming pool (which looked clean) so if you want to use it, you must walk outside to get to it. The building I was in only had rooms on one side of the hallway which did have windows in it. No elevator. The carpet was old and buckled, rusty water stains marred the ceilings and walls in both the bathroom and bedroom, and the box spring also had stains while the bed was old and soft. But the bathroom, furniture, and bed were very clean. If all you're looking for is a clean bed for the night, it'll do. I would not let children play on the floor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank das007ta

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed one night as we were passing through. We wanted something cheap and this was. The inside was basic and clean enough. However, the hallways were dingy, the doors looked like they were used as shields in a war, and there were about 200 cigarette butts outside the main door since there isn't a garbage can or an ashtray nearby. It's really outdated. I wasn't looking for a jacuzzi or a flat screen TTV but the whole place had a vibe of being run down and dilapidated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jagler2010
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Do yourself a big favor and do not stay here. I needed to find a hotel quick and did not check the reviews. Big mistake. I opened the door to my room and could smell smoke (this is a 100% smoke free hotel) and mildew. There was a dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door and a hair elastic on the floor. The breakfast was not good. Not one thing I considered eating. Take my word for it and keep right on driving...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Legna1
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were on a trip to the U.P. to drop off a family member for a summer job. We were really just looking for an inexpensive place to stay for the night. Our trip was hampered bysevere thunderstorms that had pounded us since leaving the Detroit metro area all the way north. The severe storms had obviously passed but had left their mark on the Gaylonrd area when I ran out of steam to drive further. I contacted several motels, all of which had very high prices for what they had to offer. The exception of the mainstream brands was the EconoLodge.

The night clerk apologized, saying that the storm that blew through had corrupted the software for the electronic room key system. She would be happy to give us a discounted rate if we realized she would need to unlock the room for us. No problem there - once in we were going to sleep! The night clerk was very friendly, even though I could tel lthe storm may have shook her up a bit.

It appears that there have been numerous renovation efforts. The room we stayed in was, by design, dated. The linens and bed spread looked new. The back fixtures appeared to have been re-glazed recently. The carpet was relatively new and clean. There were a few small brown stains on the ceiling. I could not tell if they were from past minor water damage or a lighter.

There was a swimming pool that we walked past to get to the free continental breakfast. We made it a point to check it out for this review. The water was clean, all the surfaces clean and in good repair. There was no heavy chlorine smell.

The breakfast was very basic. There was a hot waffle maker with a batter measure machine, syrup, a couple cold cereals and milk, instant oatmeal, commodity mini donuts, coffee. Although there was a caraff for orange juice it was empty and no one seemed assigned to refill it. Nothing too special. We each had a waffle and coffee.

I walked in to the lobby. The manager on duty (owner?) was trying to get the cardkey device working through a help desk on the phone, but it was obviously not going to work out. He was going to have to drive to Traverse City to obtain a new one (that's about a couple hour drive each way). He was a bit frustrated by was very plesant to me, thanked us for our understanding of thestorm-caused inconvenience. I didn't mind that much. We got a good night's sleep and at a discounted rate!

Room Tip: Drive into town from the expressway and turn right. It is about 1/3 mile south on your left. Go to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jiml3222
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The hotel is VERY run down. It looked deserted as we came down the street. There was no outside lighting. The clerk indicated they were not allowed to turn on the lights until it was dark (it was dusk when we checked in). The lights were still not on when we returned from dinner at close to 10:00. Screens were all ripped on windows right next to the lobby. The numbers on the doors for room numbers were not right. At first we entered what appeared to be a unused building because the numbers on the door indicated that is were our room was and the girl at the front desk did not provide directions to our room. After all that the room was a tad better but in the morning I realized the shower curtain was moldy. ( I did inform the clerk at checkout. While she made a note she showed no concern and offered no appology) The appearance of the front wasn't staff was not professional. I would have walked out if it had not been past the cancelation time. The wifi only worked in the bathroom.

I was driving and booked over the phone without personally researching and reading reviews. I will never again book through choice hotels without prior research. When I book with Hampton I know I will always get the same quality. Lesson learned!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sunlover07777
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The staff (both the night clerk and the morning clerk) were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, he even came out to help me jump start my car. They are in process of remodel and once they are completed this will be a beautiful hotel. They had just installed many new wifi routers so wifi was good v No problems what so ever, room was clean and quiet. I would recommend this hotel 100% to anyone needing a good nice rest.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank sillykittie
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The receptionist was very friendly! She even offered me her personal verizon hotspot device incase we had problems with the wifi in our room. The room we stayed in obviously hadn't been used in a very long time. There was debris on the floor by the ac unit, and the clock was still set an hour behind! The toilet had a leak to it and formed a puddle along the back of the toilet, and eventually leaked into the room below us. The batteries were nearly dead on the locking mechanism and it took us SEVERAL attempts just to get in the room! And the alarm clock went off at midnight! The breakfast in the morning was decient, and the receptionist asked us specifically if there were problems with the room. A discount would have been nice after they knew of the problems, but none was offered.

• Stayed: May 2013