“A bunch of "meatheads!"”

Royal Crest Motel Gaylord
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I travel a lot for business and always stay at Choice Hotels, whenever possible. The Econolodge is on the low end (price) of the Choice Hotel chain. We stayed at this Econolodge as we needed a place to stay on our way up and back to/from Mackinac City for vacation. We stayed at this hotel twice in one week, on two separate occasions.

FIRST STAY: For our first visit, at first appearance the hotel room (suite) seemed fine. However, when I picked up the beds (recline into the wall) I noticed tons of dirt, food, grime, and even a child’s toy and a pair of baby socks. Also, I noticed that the bedding on the bed I slept in had a rip of about 2 feet long, which had been placed at my feet. This wasn't the end of the world for us, but we did notice. The staff seemed nice and we were fine with the accommodations, as the room was very cheap (6,000 reward points), so we decided to come back again as it wasn't the unbearable for the price.

SECOND STAY: On our second stay, we went to check in and found out that the hotel had checked someone else in under my name (and apparently using my rewards points)! As we had kids with us and desperately needed the one suite at the hotel which we had reserved in advance, the room with two double beds was not going to work. I asked about what they could do, and without hesitation kicked out the patrons who they had checked into our room! The manager then came over and apologized and said that he had "a couple of meatheads" working for him.

BREAKFAST: The next morning, we got to breakfast about 15 minutes before it closed. They were out of everything. It seemed they were rationing everything from the cream cheese (which was out) to the spoons (which were out). We then poured milk on the last of our children’s special allergy free cereal to find out that the mild was sour. When we told the manager the milk was sour, he argued with us but eventually brought fresh milk. We then asked him why they were out of everything and he said that breakfast had closed 10 minutes ago (when it was only 2 minutes after the closing and they had been out of everything since we got there).

I have stayed in many hotels over the last year (about 75) and this was by far the WORST hotel I have ever been at.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AJTravelReviews

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'd never come back to this motel in my life. Everything had stains. From the matresses to the sheets and even the floors and the siding of the bed. The room smelled of mold and felt like I was getting a lung infection from the janky ars air conditioner that kept me awake all night. The pool looks nothing like the picture as well as the non-existing hot tub and sauna. They were secluded in some walk to outide shack with a bunch of [--] everywhere covered by dust. Like its obvious they havent attempted to try n fix it. This place needs to be condemded, it feels as if it had been a mental institution at one point with the setup. its godawful. DO NOT waste ur money. If its ur last option? Sleep in ur car. U'll feel safer i guarentee it!

3  Thank joe g
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were forced to book a room at the Econo Lodge Gaylord so we could reach Charlevoix by 11:00 am for a ferry to Beaver Island. There were no other rooms in the area so with great reluctance after reading the reviews we committed to the upgraded $100 a night suite. Our worst fears were realized on arrival; this place is a dump. The hotel lobby is disgusting yet despite that the the inn keeper on duty did his best to make us feel welcome however we politely declined his offer of the free lobby breakfast. The paint was peeling in the suite, the lighting was 50% functioning overhead fluorescent lights and the beds were murphy beds locked in the down position. The sheets were paper thin as well as the pillow covers. Surprisingly both the air conditioner and the TV were fully functional. Avoid this hotel if at all possible.

Room Tip: Choose the suite on the second floor.
2  Thank icarus362
Reviewed July 28, 2012

When we pulled into the parking lot, around 11pm, we felt like we were in a bad neighborhood, everything looked dark and run down. We were going to give the hotel a try though and as soon as we walked in the lobby we were hit with an overwhelming stench. When we let the clerk know that we had reservations (that were made OVER 4 months before our stay) he said "Oh sorry, there's a problem with your room, we are holding a room for you down the street." When we drove to the neighboring hotel that was "holding a room" for us, we were turned away and told there was nothing available. We had to call Econo Lodge to let them know this (after 20+ rings someone answered) and we were told, "sorry, there's nothing we can do." This was late at night, why wouldn't I have gotten a call earlier in the day so that I could find somewhere else to stay?!?!? I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, we had to sleep in our car and I felt safer there. Some of the previous positive emails seem that they were written by the management.

2  Thank HappyCampers082009
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Really, there is nothing more to be said, you are better off sleeping in your car than you are staying in this hotel, plain and simply this is the singularly worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Why you might ask? Let’s start with the objective and move from there.

The listing of amenities and services are completely wrong, beginning at the top; they claim to have flat screen/plasma tvs, no, just old style tvs that have hazy pictures. How about the in room coffee maker or iron and ironing board? Nope, not there, none to be found. Oh, and let’s not forget the wake up service, which was also non-existent, made even more challenging since there wasn’t an alarm clock let alone even a simple clock to be found in the room.
So why else was this so bad? Well, there were the dilapidated cardboard boxes that were in the shrubs outside of the entrance which served as a preview for the pile of debris (old carpet and who knows what else) piled up outside of the door that supposedly led to the sauna. The grounds looked like a dump, a far cry from the modest but pleasant enough picture featured online.

Open the room door, after you’ve walked down the damp, musty and dank smelling hallway, and you are welcomed to a basic and uninviting room. As I said the television was not as advertised, there was no clock radio, iron, ironing board, coffee maker and the air conditioner was struggling as it blew warm damp air into the room. The windows were milky and cloudy. The chairs had more stains on their cushions than I’d imagine in a cheap “gentleman’s club” and oh, lets not forget about the errant top to a soda bottle in the middle of the room or the outlet that was a bare hole in the wall stuffed with insulation. At this point if I hadn’t already paid (non refundable Travelocity Top Secret Rate) I’d have left.

In the bathroom area, I turned on the faucet to find that they had incorrectly attached the supply lines so hot was cold and cold was hot but that was only the precursor since as I stood there I realized that the carpet was growing damp as the water ran. Yes, they had managed to not connect the S-trap under the sink correctly so it was leaking onto the floor. I suppose this shouldn’t have surprised me since there was no drain stop in the sink anyway. The shower showed signs of recent renovation but they didn’t correctly install the caulk sealant where the tub meets the wall, it was buckled and separated from the wall basically meaning that whenever the shower ran there was surely water getting into the wall, not good. Finally I did notice a few small ants in the bathroom, the least of my worries.

In the morning the continental breakfast was served in a depressing little room that reminded me of a breakroom on a factory floor. The now omnipresent waffle maker didn’t work correctly as the batter stuck to the maker causing a mess. It was less than basic, more towards a waste of time.

Can I say anything nice? Sure, the beds, while hard and basic were mercifully clean as were the towels. There, that’s the extent of my positive feedback.

Honestly, I intend to forward this review along with photos to Travelocity and Econo Lodge, both should be embarrassed by this property. So again, if you’ve even bothered to read this far, there is no reason to stay in those hotel, its awful and there’s no excuse for it. I am reasonable, I knew it wasn’t going to be the Ritz but it also shouldn’t have been on the verge of condemnation either.

Thankfully I spent less than 10 hours total in that awful room and even that was 10 hours too long.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank pablo_a2
Reviewed July 22, 2012

With great trepidation given the previous reviews, four of us (my wife and I and our in-laws) booked two rooms here. (We were trying to save $$$ for our weekend trip to Mackinaw Island.) We were greatly surprised to find clean rooms with new appointments throughout---new furniture, new carpeting, new bedding, new counters in the bath, etc. The accommodations were better than we have seen in establishments charging twice as much. When we noticed a fellow ripping out carpet in the hallway,we stopped to talk to him. It turns out he is the new proprietor (within the last couple of months). The previous owner had let the motel go to seed. He has taken over and is renovating and updating as much as he can (thus, the new carpeting going in along the hallway). He still has a lot to do. Only some sections have been fully renovated; the hot tub doesn't yet work; the exteriors of the buildings and the pavement in the parking lot look a little worn. And the proprietor had to hunt to find us a refrigerator for our room. Even when fully renovated, this will not be a "luxury" motel. But the lodgings and the service (from the entire staff, not just the proprietor) were excellent, an incredible bargain at the price. We would stay there again with great confidence.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was one of the worst places ever! We asked for our money back and went somewhere else after I took the sheets down from the bed to find a blood stained mattress. From the water stained ceilings to the musty smell.....I wouldn't let my dog stay here!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family