“Wasted Night”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Detroit
“Wasted Night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

My crew's price was $53 a night per person. Fortunately we only had to stay here one night. After being on the road for the past 36 hours, we were both anxious to get some much needed rest. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

The lobby was immediately offensive with the odor of smoking. However, my room was a non-smoking room and did not smell as if it had been smoked in.

Entering the room I immediately felt like I was back in my old college dorm. They make "efficient" use of the limited space here. The television sits on top of the closet, and the "dresser" is built-in under the "couch" which is essentially a padded window sill. Underneath the "couch" is the heater/AC unit. The deskspace provided is about 2.5 times bigger in area than my laptop and part of that is occupied by a typical coffee maker.

Previous comments about the bed being rock-hard are spot-on. The only reason I was able to fall asleep was because I was completely exhausted. I was awakened at 6am by another client of the hotel starting his Diesel truck just outside my window. He let it run for 30 minutes before he left. By then, I couldn't get back to sleep. As the morning wore on, I could clearly hear people in the rooms next door. Doors slamming down the hallway were a tremendous aggravation.

Because my job requires that I be well-rested, I cannot recommend this hotel on that note alone.

• Liked — It was cheap, and I mean that in every sense of the word.
  • Disliked — For me, there was nothing to like about this accomodation.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank unipsycho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

Decent room, and the price wasn't bad. However, there were just so many little things that kept happening. We stayed two nights, and both nights had to call the desk (after 11 p.m.) because of a dog barking in a nearby room. The staff did take care of it, but we lost an hour of sleep each night.

The toilet clogged, although the staff lady who brought a plunger was very sympathetic.

The gravy for the biscuits was stone cold when I went for breakfast at 8:30 on a Sunday. Didn't realize this till I was back up in the room with my plate.

There was a long line of people checking out and by the time it was my turn I didn't have time to chat about how my stay was, but the clerk didn't ask, either.

• Liked — Nice staff
  • Disliked — Barking dog
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

We booked this hotel via Hotwire (non-refundable and we didn't know the hotel name until after we paid) and we were pretty concerned when we later read the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. However, it turns out that my entire family like the hotel. Both our rooms were nice and clean and spacious. We had two 2-person rooms, one with 2 queen beds and one with 1 king bed. Some hotels charge the same rate for 2-person room regardless of # of beds but Baymont charged different rates for the rooms. When we arrived, we found the 2-bed room to be much bigger so the price difference make sense. Breakfast selection was good but not enough tables/chairs, we had to bring food up to our room. The blankets were a little old, but they didn't appear dirty. I didn't find our rooms smelly like other reviewers mentioned. We stayed on the 2nd floor, I wonder if that made the difference. I know some hotels that allow dogs only allow them on first floor rooms.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Mellotune
Lancaster, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Nice place, but after checking out, I realized I left 2 rings behind.. I know I left them there and when I called nothing was found.. I guess that's just how you do it today.. Just keep it, it's yours. That was a new wedding ring valued at $1200.. You know who you are, whoever cleaned room 141.. Thanks for the honesty.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank WrinkleP
PlanetX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

Even with Priceline, I felt we overpaid for this hotel. The staff could not have been nicer but the hotel itself was smelly (they allow dogs, so...it's that dog smell) and the blanket on the bed looked ancient. They should run out to the local Walmart and buy new bedding ASAP. The ancient blanket was just too gross. If it was at your aunt Shirley's house, oh well...and how dirty could it be. Here? Yuck.

• Liked — convenient to highway
  • Disliked — dog smell
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank QueensLace
holt, mi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

Our soccer team stayed there for a tournament. It was so awful we checked out the next day and went to Treetops. It was dirty, smelly, small and the staff was horrible to our kids. I realize they want the hotel to be quiet, but when you book a girls soccer team you have to expect a little noise. The coach was told the parents could meet in the breakfast room, however, they reserved it to another group and told us we would need to go outside. Then while we were outside a staff member came outside and told us we had to go inside and be quiet because people had their windows open. The free breakfast was terrible. The coffee and juice are in another part of the hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worse enemy.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank mjwjholden
michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

The hotel staff is very friendly and welcoming.
The room was passable, however we stayed for a week and I would have gladly paid more for better accommodations elsewhere.
The room was clean-ish. Some minor problems, The beds are hard and very firm, the blankets and bedspread was just plain gross and not very warm. I found a nice, long blonde hair stuck in blanket <yuck> I have short brunette hair . The white sheets were clean, no weird stains or anything funky. The ironing board pad had weird reddish/pink stains on it (didn't use that) . The bathroom was pretty clean, white towels were clean, although they smelled a little smoky.
The heater is the room and you control it, we found that we had to keep the heat set at the highest setting or the air conditioning would cycle on and cool the room to freezing, then heat would cycle back on.
the tv was big and we got cable.
The Continental breakfast is just that. Assorted cold cereals and oatmeal, bagels, muffins and breads, a toaster and microwave. The biscuits and sausage gravy I would stay from...gross, not appetizing at all. Too bad because that's the most substantial offering.
It just creeps me out to sleep in a bed some complete stranger slept in the night before, I work in close contact with the public and I know how dirty some people can be. I felt the room could have been cleaner and smelled fresh.
As I said we stayed a week and I think it would passable for a one or two night stay. Good Luck!!

• Liked — It was close to where we needed to be.
  • Disliked — Wasn't very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaylord
Hampton Inn Gaylord
#5 of 13 in Gaylord
Boyne Mountain Resort
Boyne Mountain Resort
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Gaylord? Share your experiences!