“Deliver what they Promise”

Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Waterford, MI
“Deliver what they Promise”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express Gaylord delivers what it advertises....a clean, comfortable, sate, quiet room at a reasonable rate. It's been years since I had stayed at a Holiday Inn property, spending most of my time in the Westin, Marriott, Hyatt type hotel chains. But I can honestly say that I came away impressed with the quality of the stay I received at the Holiday Inn Gaylord.

Check-in was quick, efficient,although I did have to go back in to inquire where best to park in order to have quick access to our rooms, the other king with jacuzzi tub. Both rooms were spacious, clean, well maintained, with amenities like flat screen televisions, refrigeratior, microwave, coffee maker and in room safe. The furniture seemed to be in good condition, all beds were comfortable, and the linens seemed to be of nice quality. The bathrooms were larger than in many more exensive rooms I've stayed in, were bright, very clean and provided your standard bath items.

Overall the rooms were quiet, with hallway noise and door banging minimal. Our floor featured vending machines with a laundry area. We also visited the free breakfast offerings in the morning, which had various pastries, juices, bacon, scrambled eggs and typical continental breakfast fare. The in room wi-fi internet was free...but ran a bit sluggish for my needs.

On the down side, the pool area was busy, with several famalies using the pool, hot tub and very small workout area. While we enjoyed the pool, I was a bit put off with some clumps of hair and a band-aid floating on the bottom of the pool. And the pricing of the property seemed a little high, but not outrageously so. And the property did not feature an on site restaurant or lounge, but was centrally located near the business district where plenty of options are available.

Bottom line....I was impressed with the overall quality of the Holiday Inn and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone spending a night or two in Gaylord, MI. The property and staff we met were all first rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Rate was a little high. Clean. Same hotel a/c units that make noise all night. Beds ok. Breakfast is average.

1 Thank ALP910
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was headed to mackinaw but it was etting dark so decided to stay in Gaylord at the holiday inn as I had seen rates under 100. Online from TA. I went in and had t o wait a few minutes as the young girl manning the desk was chatting away to her friend-a non-emplyee I might add. I asked for the best rate and she quoted a rate over 100. I asked for the AAA rate and was told they don't give them in summer. I have stayed at this hotel the summer before and had gotten a AAA rate so I mentioned that I could get a better rate online and she shrugged and said ok. I went out to the car and phoned the holiday inn 800 number and ended up saving about 15 dollars with the AAA discount. Made the reservation and went to eat before checking in. 40 minutes later I went to check in. Same friend was there chatting with desk clerk. Clerk said oh you went on line and I said yes AND got my AAA discount. I was very polite about the whole thing as I believe in good customer relations.but she just had no idea how to be courteous to customers. Room was in a new wing and very nice. Very clean and large. Would stay here again but call holiday inn reservations first. Great customer svc through the 800 number by the way.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank musimom
Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We often stay in HI Express on family trips, so I had an expectation based on experience that this HI Express did not live up to. The hotel was fine, no fatal flaws, but seemed to be an old hotel that has had some refurbishment, but not enough. We were in room 108 - beds were OK but sagged in middle. Desk chair was unusable. Room smelled like dirty laundry (and not just my family's!). Like many old hotels, the bathroom lacks an extractor fan, so the bathroom and the entire room become steamy and humid as soon as someone takes a shower. Location is convenient to a good family restaurant option - Ruby Tuesdays just down the road. The breakfast area was big enough to not be cramped. The hotel was fine for a night, and fair for the price, but if I am back in town I will check out other options in the price range.

1 Thank ArizonaRock
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gaylord, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear ArizonaRock,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am pleased our convenient location and breakfast area suited you well. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay due to the condition of the bathroom as well as the room. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Comfy beds, reasonable price, clean and yay - had a fridge and pool! :)
Good pizza delivered from across the street at spicy bob's.

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was clean and reasonably priced. We booked the corner jacuzzi room. It had a mini-fridge and was nicely sized. The pool area looked nice, but we did not use it. If you are looking for lodging on the way Up North, this hotel is clean and reasonably priced and very close to the highway. It is also close to a lot of other businesses/restaurants for easy access- Walmart, Bob Evans, Biggby Coffee, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Gaylord around Independence Day 2012. The hotel is very neat and tidy. Granite counter tops and bathroom floor and fine beddings were particularly appreciable. Paid about $100 per night for 2 queen beds, and found it to be excellent value for this hotel.