“Beautiful area, very tired rooms”
Review of Treetops Resort

Treetops Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Gaylord
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Beautiful area, very tired rooms”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

What prompts me to give this four stars instead of three is the service and views. Everyone we dealt with was friendly, competent and well-trained. The suroundings in this northern Michigan resort are beautiful, particularly when the fall colors are at their peak. Service in the restaurants is limited due to the fall hours, but service was quite good, albeit a bit slow, probably due to understaffing.

Our room was another issue. It's really a ski lodge (an old one at that) and feels like one. The hallway carpeting is in need of replacement, or at the very least a major cleaning. The rooms are all wood paneled and dark, with a basic air conditioner / heating unit built into the wall. The bathroom is small but adequate, providing the very basics of toiletries and plastic cups. An old, small analog TV is in a cabinet.

For the package price we paid, it was adequate, but the next time I visit Treetops I'll probably stay elsewhere and just golf their courses, which by the way are gorgeous.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TreetopsResort, Front Office Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the courses during your visit to Treetops. At the same time, I am very sorry to hear about the quality and condition of your room. We are planning some renovations to the Inn, the building you stayed in, as soon as the golf season comes to a close at the end of the month. We hope this will encourage you to give our lodging another try the next time you are in the area. Thanks again for posting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Wife and I drove through the property which is beautiful. We both love to golf and were very impressed with what we saw of the courses. Didn't get to play but we decided to grab a bite to eat so we went to the Sports Bar on their North property. Sat outside to take in the beautiful fall foliage. Great view and the colors were amazing. I had a burger that was thick, juicy and delicious. Definitely on our list of places to go for a golf vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for checking us out on your trip through Northern Michigan! We look forward to having you come back and see us next year to do some golfing! Thank you again for the post!
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This place was incredible. The colors we saw were right out of a magazine. The friendliness of the staff from rangers & starters to housekeeping was incredible. I have been to multiple Golf Resorts in Northen Michigan and throughout the country and this facility writes the book on hospitality.

You won't find a more challenging or picturesque facility to play and the food is comparable to the golf.

We went on this trip with a total of eight golfers and to a man everyone said it was the best golf experience they have ever had. Keep in mind one of the golfers had played Pebble Beach and two of them had played and stayed at Whistling Straits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the post! We love that your group had an awesome time while you were here, and appreciate your kind words about our staff. Hopefully we will see you back again next year to do some more golfing. Until then, take care, and thanks again for the feedback!
Kingsville, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Book 3 days two nights at Treetops Resort in Gaylord, MI through Michigan Golf web site. We had two rooms for four golfers. Included breakfast each morning and unlimited golf. Got there eartly enough to play the Par 3 nine hole Tree Tops course. Very nice three par by the way. In the afternoon we played 18 on the Signature course. The next day we played 18 on Masterpiece , which was suppose to be their hardest course, then not quite 18 more at the Premier course. Unfortunately because of the time of year the sun goes down a little too early. The next day we tried another course in Gaylord called Black Forest. Had to be the hardest and longest course of our stay. All great courses!!

Treetops Resort was very comfortable and the hotel staff were excellent. Next time looking forward to talking the wives with us. They would enjoy the experience too.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Main Lodge and next time I would like to stay at the North Clubhouse as there are f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed yourselves while you were here. Hopefully we will see you back next season. Thanks again for the post, and see you soon!
Ann Arbor
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I were at Treetops for a dental course on September 21. We checked-in at 10 PM the night before. That took 30 minutes with extra people in the office but none of them willing to come out to help the one beleaguered desk clerk. We went to bed after a drink at the sports bar, which was very good with a great staff. When I arose early for my course, I noticed hardened fecal material...not just stains, which we have seen in hotels/motels three or four times before...but material on both sides of the toilet where the seat meets the bowl. Since the place was full and I did not know if other rooms were available, I did not say anything to my wife or the hotel but cleaned it up myself before she got up. When we checked out the next morning, the pleasant gal at the desk comped me for one of the two nights. All I really wanted was some apology from the management for a terrible experience. But now I have waited for two weeks to no avail...they apparently don't care. Worst room that we have ever had, and we have spent at least a thousand nights in hotel rooms over 41 years of marriage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TreetopsResort, Director of Rooms at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
My apolgizes for your stay with us. I am not sure why you did not get a call back. Not here to make excuses so if you could call/email me as I can not figure out who you are through Trip Advisor. I would like to talk with you about your stay with us. Any type of feed back is important to us. I am happy to see they comped your first night for your bad experience. Please call or email me at jvanderveer@treetops.com.

James Vanderveer

Travelers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've JUST recently started Golfing in May... to my surprise I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Its also given my husband and I something to do together since it is his FAVORITE thing to do. We decided to spend our 9th anniversary at TreeTops.. and it was an INCREDIBLE experience. We had our room upgraded and it was perfect! The room was clean and comfortable. We played the Signature and ThreeTops and they were both beyond GORGEOUS. It was relaxing and fun and we've decided to make it a new yearly trip to get away for a bit. The entire staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The views were breathtaking and BeAuTiFuL. We had a GREAT time and can't wait till next year!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TreetopsResort, Front Office Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thanks for the post, and happy belated anniversary! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Treetops, and can’t wait to see you back to celebrate your 10th anniversary with us. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a good news, bad news story.
First the bad news. Upon arrival, my wife requested an upgrade to the "Lodge: so that she could have a jacuzzi tub to help with sore muscles after golfing. At an extra $55.00 a night, I was hoping for something great. Sadly, the rooms are way overdue for an refurbishing. The room was very spacious however, it was dark and the fixtures were vintage 1970 or so. I don't think I've ever seen a toilet that shade of burgandy before. The carpet was in poor condition and the electrical outlets looked pretty sketchy. Did I mention the room was dark, like a cave. I'd hate to see the rooms in the Inn, since we had to pay extra for the Lodge.
But, there was good news.... First of all the golf courses are spectacular.. great condition, superb views, fun, fun, fun. Speaking of fun, if you go, do yourself a favour and play the Threetops par three course. You will not regret it. Secondly, all of the staff members we encountered, from the check in staff to the people in the pro shops to the starters and rangers on the courses could not have been more friendly or engaging. Anyone we spoke to were very helpful and professional. We ate several meals on site and the wait staff was always attentive and the food was very good, although, the menus were somewhat limited.
All in all, we had a great time playing golf here and would look to come back, but not until the rooms are fixed up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dobber16
Thank you for your feedback about your experience at Treetops. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the golf, and the staff, but I am sorry to hear you had issues with your overnight room. We do have some renovations planned once golf season ends, and hope they will make all of our guests more comfortable while they are here. Thanks again for posting, and we hope to see you back and give you a great all-around Treetops experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaylord
Hampton Inn Gaylord
#11 of 14 in Gaylord
Boyne Mountain Resort
Boyne Mountain Resort
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls

Been to Treetops Resort? Share your experiences!