“An outstanding getaway...”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Grandville, Michigan, United States
“An outstanding getaway...”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Where to begin! We spent our 1 year wedding anniversary at Treetops and was treated like royalty! We stayed in the lodge that had very clean rooms, outstanding customer service, a beautiful indoor/outdoor pool that were connected, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, and a great spa with everything you can imagine! The pools and hot tubs were the perfect temperature! They were also open late which allowed us to end our day in the relaxing hot tub under the stars all by ourselves! We ate lunch and dinner at the Sports Bar on the resort. The food was great only surpassed by the service. Ken (I think) was extremely knowledgable of their vast selection of Michigan brewed beer on tap. His suggestions were spot on! Oh yeah, if you go, make sure to try the pizza! Best I've had in a loooong time! The golf was everything you can imagine from a nationally acclaimed resort! Once we teed off we rarely saw or heard anyone else. What a great way for us to get away and relax! Thank you Treetops staff for an anniversary that will be very hard to top! See you soon!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the lodge looked into the woods and over the pool. The front rooms have a...
2 Thank Julie P
TreetopsResort, Front Office Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for the post, and happy belated anniversary from all the Treetops staff! We are thrilled to hear that we helped to make your anniversary an even more special day. Maybe we will see you back to celebrate another one. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Thunder Bay Ontario
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The room was disgusting, it was old , when you walked across the carpet your feet stuck to it. It smelled old and musty. The TV was from the 80"s. the air conditioner rattled. We were staying on a stay and play for 449.00 a night. When you see how nice the golf course is you really don't expect to be staying in a place that looks like bobs motel on the side of the highway. We checked out early. Will never ever recommend this place to anybody.

1 Thank Barrstool
TreetopsResort, Director of Rooms at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your post and taking my phone call yesterday about your stay. As I mentioned to you on the phone we are looking to do some updating to our Chalet rooms this fall. All items that you mentioned are being addressed. I look forward to having you back again in our Lodge Suites room with the gift letter I am sending out today. Please don't hesitate to call or email me if you have any questions.

James Vanderveer
jvanderveer@treetops.com
989-731-8405

Travelers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

Grand Blanc, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Inn is an older property - but our room was clean and comfortable. The courses we played - Signature and Masterpiece were in good shape in spite of the hot dry weather Michigan has been experiencing. My husband and I enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly and polite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your response, and happy anniversary from all of us at Treetops! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that we will see you back sometime soon. Thank you again for the post!
Hazel Park, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Not sure where to start with this place. I attended a weekend meeting and stayed Thursday to Sunday. At check in the rooms were not ready. We had to wait an hour, not bad it gave me a chance to look around. The first thing I found was a green indoor pool. There was a sign on the door that said that a new pump needed to be installed and the pool would open then. When our room was ready we checked in and drove to the inn. The first thing you notice is the peeling paint and warped trim boards. Once in side (and anyone can walk in because the door locks don't work) you will notice the worn and stained carpet and damaged door frames.
We were lucky our room had working air. The room it self was dark the bed sheets were crunchy and there were a wide choice of bugs to swat at. There were about 200 in our group and most of the people I spoke with had the same thing's in their rooms. The people who stayed in the "premium" rooms were not as lucky. Some had no working air, leaking showers, very bad smells, and intersting stains. Saturday A.M. my shower head fell off and hit the side of my foot. I was limping till Monday and sporting a nice bruse till the following Saturday.
As to the golf courses all I can say is try again. There was a mini tour event going on while we were there and I think the greens crew spent all there time on that course. I did play on the Rick Smith signature course and at best it was in fair condition. I also played our groups event on Threetops. What a joke. The bunkers had not been looked after in a long time. The pins had not been changed from the day before and the greens had not been cut. At $32.00 for nine holes to play a course in that condition you will only do it once in a life time. I do play lot's of golf every year and have golfed here fifteen years before. Then I just thought it was expensive. Now I know it is still expensive just not very well maintained.
I did speak to the resort manager and express my disapointment, he noddded and said he would look in to it. I also filled out their on line survey. I have waited over a month and have not heard a peep.
My thought is if you have to go find a hotel in town and don't have great expitions from the golf courses.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike64242
TreetopsResort, Director of Rooms at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Mike

First and foremost thank you for the comments. Any feedback we get helps us to improve. I am so sorry about the pool not being available to you as we were fixing some issues. I am happy to say now that the pool is up and running and looks beauiful. The things you mentioned about your room are being addressed and some of the updating that is needed is going to start this fall. You are correct that Golf Week Magazine did hold their Nation Tour Event at Treetops but the things you mentioned are unacceptable and I will personally make sure they are addressed. Mike as you mentioned that you did talk to me (I ran from a meeting to catch you in the parking lot) about the hotel issues. I want you to know that I did follow up on all your complaints. I am really sorry about your stay and if you would like to discuss more please call me as I would be happy to discuss what we have done to improve your issues.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Overview - After some research, our foursome (4 28 year old males) decided on Treetops for our golf weekend. We are fairly avid golfers - 3 low to mid teen handicappers and a 20. It ended up being a 5.5 hour drive from Chicago. We arrived at 11:30 am Friday. We purchased their special "unlimited package." We payed for two nights of lodging (Friday and Saturday) and got unlimited golf Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It also included a full breakfast Saturday and Sunday. It was a great value - total cost: $360 per person.

Golf - The package provided unlimited golf at 5 courses (4 18s and one nine hole par 3) including range balls and cart fees. When I say unlimited I really mean unlimited. There were not restrictions. It was not overcrowded like course around the Chicagoland area. We made tee times before we went but changed times on the fly to maximize the amount of golf. The Masterpiece, Signature and Premier courses would stack up well against any top public courses in the Chicagoland area - (as nice if not nicer than say Seven Bridges, Ruffled Feathers, Thunderhawk, Pine Meadows, and Geneva National - in that same class of course). Courses were very challenging the first time through - lots of blind shots, undulated greens, elevation. Real rough that was penalizing. Many side hill lies - definitely had to try to think through your shots. The Masterpiece (a Robert Trent Jones design) was most challenging. On Friday we played 36 at the Masterpiece. Saturday we played 18 at the premier, 18 at the signature, and almost finished another 18 at the premier. Sunday we played 18 at the Masterpiece, and 15 at the Traditional before heading to the par 3 to end the trip. We played over 130 holes of golf.

Golf Staff - The golf staff was incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. With the help of the pro shop staff we could change our tee times on the fly to maximize the amount of golf if we got through a round faster than expected. The ranger on Sunday at the Masterpiece would check-in with us on the course and adjust our tee times according to how fast we were playing. I don't remember names but the young assistant pro at the North courses, the pro shop manager at Masterpiece, and the ranger on Sunday at the Masterpiece were incredibly helpful and friendly and should be commended for their outstanding customer service.

Food - We received free breakfast vouchers on Saturday and Sunday. This was a full breakfast - you could choose an entree of the menu or get the buffet. We ate lunches at the North Course. We had dinner both nights at the Sports Bar. Overall food was average to slightly above average.

Accommodations - There are two buildings, the older Inn and the newly built Lodge. We stayed at the Inn. It is a bit dated of a building and staying in the new building would have been nicer, but we were only in the room to sleep. It was clean and served its purpose. Any bad reviews of the Inn come from people who have unreasonable expectations.

Conclusion - For a golf weekend, you have a few choices that are driving distance from Chicago. Geneva National, Eagle Ridge, The American Club (Kohler, Wis). Although I haven't played or stayed at the American Club (I have been to watch the PGA Championship and U.S. Open and have friends and family that have stayed and played there), I know that it is a five-star resort and would be amazing - if not for the fact that it is $300 plus per round and expensive to stay over. Geneva National and Eagle Ridge are fairly expensive as well and I believe the courses at Treetops are on par with those courses.

Treetops offers the best value with great golf, friendly staff and reasonably comfortable accommodations. I highly recommend Treetops for anyone looking to do a golf weekend.

Thanks,

Eric

Room Tip: Ask for the Lodge room if it is available.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eric C
Thank you for your response! We are very glad to hear your group enjoyed themselves during your visit to Treetops. I hope that we will see you back soon. Thanks again for the feedback!
Michigan
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We love to golf and have stayed at many golf resorts in Michigan over the years. We recently stayed at the Inn at Treetops and it was the most disgusting place we have ever stayed! It was old, dark, moldy and damp feeling. The carpet was old and stained and the bathroom tile was moldy and dirty. There was hair around the base of the toilet and also around the faucet of the sink. It was gross! The bathroom was not clean at all so I was nervous about the sheets and sleeping in the bed! I tried not to think about it! They were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever been in. The mattress had a dip in the middle that made you keep rolling to the center of the bed and it felt like springs were poking through! The TV must have been from the 80's as it was about 8 inches big with a round screen that you could hardly see. I cannot believe that they have not updated these rooms and that they can charge people to stay in them without feeling
guilty! The need to update this building or close it down!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at the Inn. Do not stay here!!
3 Thank spedlady
TreetopsResort, Front Office Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for your post, and for letting us know about the issues you encountered during your stay. I am truly sorry for any inconveniences you were caused because of them. I would like to let you know that our head of housekeeping was made aware of the condition of your room and apologizes as well. We do have plans to begin renovations to the Inn this fall. Thank you again for your feedback, and once again our apologies.
Blenheim, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

the facilities and staff were very freindly and the golf courses were in excelent condition the golf course staff went out of their way to make sure your golfing expereince was the best from loading your golf bag on the cart to cleaning your clubs when you were finished antd the pro staff were always willing to help in any way they could. the main lodge room was very spacious and clean, it was one of the best holidays that I have had.

Room Tip: be sure to book a room in the main lodge and you will never forget the exelent experiance it is fant...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the feedback! We are so glad you enjoyed your holiday here at Treetops. Hopefully we will see you back soon. Thanks again for the post!