“Odd but compelling”

Bearded Dogg Lounge
Ranked #3 of 75 Restaurants in Gaylord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a family owned, fine casual restaurant with a full bar. We have a unique menu, 90% of our food is made in house and is prepared behind an open kitchen. We are connected to The Old Spud Warehouse.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you like unique, you are in luck. If you don't like quirky,keep moving. I stopped by earlier to ask if they would reserve a place for my wife and I and the lady said they don't take reservations but wouldn't really need them. I hate no reservation restaurants, this "call ahead crap burns me", but the place looked exotic so we went about 7:15 that night.
Of course the place was packed, the only way they could seat us was in a strange bar area where the cooks were chirping away close by. Bad start, but being a soup and half sandwitch guy, I was in luck. You can order a HAMBURGER half-sandwitch with a soup or salad! One of the best open face cheesburgers ever with tomato basil soup that was just perfect. Our bartender was the waiter, he was trying but forgot to ask what kind of cheese and never did ask how we wanted it cooked.
Listen, if the food is good enough and the price is reasonable and you don't wait foreaver, I'll put up with some of the other stuff. There are plenty of restaurants close by so if it's too crowded, just walk a block over to anothere place.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We decided to visit the Bearded Dogg for lunch on Saturday. We had eaten here before, and always had good experiences. Our last visit was probably over a year ago. I have not previously reviewed this restaurant.

I ordered the glazed salmon with mixed vegetables and mashed sweet potatoes. We had good service on the outdoor patio during our brief wait. When my plate arrived, I was immediately impressed with the presentation...many textures and colors. This meal was plated with pride! The sweet potatoes were very nicely seasoned. I had carrots, brocolli, green beans, squash, and asparagus served to me. Some were grilled, others steamed. All were crispy and lightly seasoned, not overpowered. My fish, like the remainder of the plate, was delightful. It was a nice size filet, properly cleaned. It was cooked to PERFECTION. The thick and thin portions were as consistent as possible. It was very moist and flavorful. It was covered in, I believe, a honey-maple glaze. There was some goat cheese on top as well.

This was a fantastic plate, with many different flavors and textures going on. Without a doubt a home-run by the chef. We will certainly return.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Actually the risotto is my favorite anywhere.

The problem is the service is average at best. On our last visit you could actually hear the chef's in the kitchen mocking diners for asking if something is good. They seem to be quite arrogant.

We also were made to feel very uncomfortable bringing children there. This clearly isn't a family place. They don't have a kids menu or high chairs. If that's the way it is fine, they obviously have that right. I just question how you survive in a small town like Gaylord without offering service to family's. I guess time will tell.

I hope that people come for the food, but come back for the service. Sure your risotto is awesome, but I won't sacrifice my dignity to eat it. Treat your diners with respect.

4  Thank ChudChudzer
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I, who are major foodies, had a hard time picking something off the menu. I suggested we leave, and we should have, but my husband hates doing that so we proceeded. My Caesar salad was a small, sad heap of wilted yellow lettuce that would have been thrown away at home. My tomato basil soup tasted like puke. My husband was more satisfied with his vineyard chicken but, all in all, it was a huge disappointment.... This is the first time I've ever written a review as I was so major-league shocked by the awfulness of it-also took forever to get our stuff- should have stopped with the pear cider.

1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Atmosphere is great, and the menu options are creative. Unfortunately, the food is hit or miss as is the service. The martinis are wonderful though.

1  Thank Laura P