“Good turkey and fish”

Dining options: Breakfast
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Good turkey and fish”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were staying in Waters, so on Friday night we went to the Gobblers in Waters, MI. The building looks like a converted fast food joint. We were planning on turkey, but the restaurant staff encouraged us to try the fish fry. It was excellent. We also had the carrot cake, which was also excellent. The service was also great.

On our way back on Sunday, we stopped here but they did not open until noon. We went to the Gobblers in Gaylord. We had the open faced turkey sandwich which was the special ($5.99). It came with real mashed potatoes. There was a generous helping of turkey atop generic white bread, smothered with gravy. Just the ticket for travelers.

The only downside at the Gaylord location came when we went to pay. It seemed like no one wanted to take our money. We had asked our waiter and he said to pay up front. After a long wait, my wife complained, and finally our waiter came and took our money. It needs to be someone's responsibility to take the money if the cashier doesn't show up.

2 Thank SpringPeeper

Michigan, North Dakota
“Unclean and Overcooked”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

For those who have written great reviews...look up. This place likely hasn't been cleaned in years. The ceiling fans have gobs of dust on them (which falls into your food folks) and I doubt the rest of the place is likely much cleaner.

We had hamburgers, the bison burger and the olive burger, supposedly done medium and both were way overdone. Easily the worst hamburger I've had in 10 years. Some in our group had turkey, which was good, but the potatoes were hardly mashed, your fork and knife would stand up in the scoop like the thing was cement. $13 for a turkey plate of some cut up turkey and mashed potatoes? Waaaay overpriced, guys.

My grandparents probably would have loved this place, but it's obvious this is one of those places that was good 50 years ago but not today.

2 Thank salleng56
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Thanksgiving in July!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

What a great little restaurant! The food was fantastic, just like Thanksgiving dinner. My kids also got a turkey Caesar salad and the shrimp dinner. All were delicious. Our waitress treated us like we had been friends forever.

United States
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stopped at the Gobblers of Gaylord for lunch, my husband had the turkey, stuffing and gravy, it was real turkey not turkey roll, he said it was very good. I had the potato cheese soup, the waitress said it was good and it was, a big bowl. The service was good and fast.

Lansing, Michigan
“Fast and great service”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were on the return trip of a 600-mile motorcycle trip north when we saw a bunch of other bikes in front of Gobblers, so we decided to give it a try. The interior is quite ecclectic with signs and photos hanging all over the wall and ceiling with everything from humorous sayings to old photos of Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Gabby Hayes. We were promply seated and the server came by in a flash to take our orders. She recommended two meals to me that she said were her favorites, and told my lovely wife she could order off the kids' menu. I took her recommendation and ordered the biscuits and gravy with two eggs topped with cheese. It was an excellent recommendation. The food came so quickly it surprised me. I think I had one sip of coffee and the breakfast was there. While we were there the restaurant filled up rather quickly, a good sign of good food. I think this will be a stop on future Up North excursions on the trike.