“We stayed there last year and plan to do so again”
Review of Waters Inn

Waters Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Flat Rock, Michigan, USA
“We stayed there last year and plan to do so again”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were up here fishing and wasn't looking for a fancy place to stay, just a clean affordable place. Perfect! Very clean! Very nice guy that was a pleasure to deal with. A nice place to stay. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ripnlipps
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thanks SO much for taking time to write a review, so many people now read online reviews before choosing a place to stay, and as a small family business we appreciate your feedback!

You mentioned clean and affordable and that is exactly what we shoot for.

We hope you enjoy the new 32' Flat screen TV's we just installed in all our rooms on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my first time staying at Waters Inn, I have passed by it for the past 8 years and never stopped in to stay the night because I was staying up the road at a different motel, lets call it Brand X for the purposes of this review. I felt it was time for a change. I did stop in last fall to check out the place and the manager was kind enough to let my friend and I take a look at one of the rooms. The first impression I had when I walked in was that is was very clean and did not smell, many smaller motels around the area have an old or musty smell to the room. Not here the carpet was clean and the bed was cummfy when I layed on it to check it out. I was happy to see that the room had a miny fridge that was actually pluged in even though it was off season, nothing worse then to have to deal with a smelly unpluged fridge. The room had a TV, Microwave (one bag of popcorn included) 4 cup coffee maker, table with chairs and some end tables. The bathroom was abit small but the major thing I didn't notice was mold and mildew in the shower. So all in all my first impressions were very high of Waters Inn.

The only reason I didn't give Waters Inn 5 circles was that when I stayed here last weekend the walls were thin, I could here the conversation in the room next to me very easily when I didn't have the TV on. I wish you could give 1/2 circles because in my opinion that is all it should knock it down by. Being in the middle of the snowmobile season up there I still found the room as clean and smell free as when I checked them out earlier previously. I was also impressed that when I came back in Saturday afternoon my bed was made up, new towels and new soap and shampo were in the room.

I didn't try to use the internent since I was able to get good signal with my smartphone, I guess other guests have had issues with it but I can not comment on it.

The location of Waters Inn makes it great for all seasons. For snowmobiling you have the Keg (Bar / Resturant) just across the road, You have a small fast food / ice cream place next to the Keg and DJ's gas station / convience store just a few hundred feet south of the motel. Trail 7 is just across the street over by the Keg. There is plenty of room for parking trucks and trailers and you can park you sled outside your door. For late spring and summer you have Otsego Lake just north on with plenty of boating and fishing opertunities. Waters is halfway inbetween Gaylord and Grayling about 10 miles each direction with resturants, shoping and entertainment the Waters Inn is a nice little place to stay and and save some money incomparison to the hotels and motels in Gaylord and much better looking then some of the ones down in Grayling.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank polarisdan
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks for your thoughtful review, our partner and resident manager Bob is our secret weapon because he is a clean fanatic. I'm sorry you drove by for 8 years, but I'm thankful you finally stopped.

Thanks again for staying with us, we hope to earn your business again soon.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great place, right on the trail, bar across the street, and very friendly! Nice clean rooms too! You can get to Gaylord or Grayling in minutes, but this is a better spot! We will definitely be back for our next snowmobiling trip!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Joeythesnowmobiler
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, many people would agree with you that the area between Grayling and Gaylord is the best place in the lower for snowmobiling, and we are lucky to be right in the middle.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your business and we look forward to seeing you again.
Lake Orion
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is my first Tripadvisor review. I decided I should start doing reviews since I come to this website often and take advantage of all the reviews from other fellow Tripadvisor fans.

I have stayed at this place a few times. I stayed in room #10 which is the last room on the opposite end of the motel's main entrance (check in desk). All of my past stays have been during winter season but more specifically snowmobile season. This is a good place to stay for snowmobilers. It has a nice and clean rustic appeal. You can get a room with 1 king bed or 2 queen beds. Each room comes with a microwave oven, small refrigerator, coffee maker with 1 packet of coffee, cable TV, end table, telephone & internet which you have to pay for if you want to use it for more than 1 hour. Internet is free for 1 hour per 24 hour period. It's $4 per day or $8 per week for additional internet access. Bathroom has shower only and is on the small side but I am not a big guy so it was fine for my me and the wife. The room has all the basics you would need and a little more. You get a free packet of microwave popcorn and a free snowmobile map of the Gaylord trail system. There is also a coat rack/shelf to hang your gear. There is a small stand to place your gear bag or helmet on. A place for your wet boots and hooks to hang your bibs or coat. This place has a large parking lot so you shouldn't have a problem parking a 4 place v-nose enclosed trailer which is what I have. The motel manager seemed nice from my past experiences. There is also a bar across the street which has great burgers and pizza. A gas station is also very close.

Now for the "But" part of this review.

Although they offer cable TV, the television is quite old looking meaning it's the tube style and has no additional inputs like RCA jacks or HDMI inputs. It has only 1 cable jack which is used for the cable TV so you can't play video games or other things. In this age of technology and growing tech savvy culture including snowmobilers, this place should have flat screen TVs. It sort of dates the place seeing this old technology stuff. I think a flat screen would put a nice finishing touch to an otherwise clean & quaint looking room.

The other issue I had was the internet service which is a big deal to me and an influence on where I stay. Had I known about the internet issue when I booked, I would probably have at least checked other places out before commiting to this place. This place does advertise as having high speed internet on their website. The issue was of the lack of wifi signal strength in room #10 which is farthest from the internet source.I am sure other rooms had the same issue as me. I actually got a better signal from sitting at the bar across the street which I think is ridiculous. My wife's ipad or iphone could not get a signal. My laptop got a very weak signal (1 bar) and disconnected often. I was lucky I had a signal amplifier for my laptop so I was able to eventually connect to the internet but the ipad and iphone was useless for wifi use. I spoke to the motel manager about this issue and he told me that he informed the motel owner about the issue. He told me that an antenna that sits on the roof above room #5 was down and causing the problem. He even told me that he couldn't connect to the internet. I found that part of his response odd because he was closest to the main wifi source which I could easily connect to from the bar across the street. Anyway if the owner is aware of the issue but hasn't fixed it yet, it makes me believe that customer service is not type notch here. I am staying here for the week and I am writing this review on a Wednesday so by Friday this place should be busy again with new snowmobilers. I will follow up this review if possible to see if the owner has fixed this issue by then for his new customers who could be as tech savvy as I am.

The last issue or at least a note is that the walls seperating the rooms seem to be thin enough you can hear noise from the next room. It wasn't a problem for me sleeping because I sleep easy but I could hear foot steps from the next room over. Other reviews have noted a similiar issue.

If a tube TV with no inputs and poor/no internet service is not an issue for you then by all means stay at the Waters Inn.

Room Tip: Room #10 will get the worst wifi service because that room is farthest from the wifi antenna.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carl d
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
WOW, thanks for taking so much of your time to write a complete and thoughtful review we appreciate your input. I noticed we earned high marks for cleanliness and that is our #1 priority so that makes me happy.

I am truly sorry you had issues with the internet at the motel, we are taking steps to improve the wireless signal throughout the property. The WiFi at the bar actually comes from the motel and I agree with you that the reception in the rooms should be better.

Thanks again for your repeat business.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The room was nice and clean - very pleasant; however, I was unable to access internet service. I chose to stay here based on the positive reviews and availability of internet service so I could get some work done during my stay. Needless to say, the internet service is not provided directly by the motel and when I asked about it, I was told it has to do with the town's service or something ... not at all good! I wouldn't stay here again. It cost me too much wasted time. Too bad. I wish I had been told up-front when I called for a reservation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Boodina
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thanks for taking time to provide us your feedback as a small family owned motel, we read and respond to every review. I noticed that you gave us high scores for cleanliness and that makes me feel good.

I am so sorry you had problems using our internet service, most people seem to have success with our wireless internet but every once in a while someone seems to have issues and I'm so sorry for your inconvenience. Unfortunately there are so many parts to getting a good wireless connection and nearly all of these variables are not in our control.

Thanks again for your feedback and please accept my most humble apologies for your problems with the wireless internet.
Madison Heights, Michigan
Reviewed December 27, 2012

awesome spot!!!trail bar everything right there!!!great place to stay very accomodating staff 24 hour gas stations close by very fun experiance you can ride from there to the macinaw bridge or down through lovels and grayling very nice trail system

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank John P
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We agree with you completely! We think we are right in the middle of the best place in the lower for snowmobiling.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your business.
Mount Clemens, Michigan
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We just got back from the best riding of my life and I will tell you that this place is the best around. It is close to everything downtown waters has to offer bars, stores, ice cream, gas, and so much more. The manager is a really great guy and the rooms are clean and have everything you need for your stay. Can't wait to come back and do more sledding. Keep up the great work and see you soon! Waters, michigan is the best city in the world!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Michael W
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the snowmobiling, please come back and visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaylord
Baymont Inn & Suites Gaylord
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#11 of 15 in Gaylord
Ramada Grayling Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Waters Inn? Share your experiences!