“Perfect for us”
Review of Waters Inn

Waters Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had friends staying at the State Park, with a one and a half year old we wanted to make it easier on ourselves and hotel it. This was a great location for us to be at the State Park quickly and still be able to keep out sanity with a child eh gets into everything. Our room was clean, quiet, and affordable. We were very happy with our choice.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Mark101073
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Mark - Clean, quiet and affordable is exactly what we strive for! We appreciate you taking time to provide your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

On a trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan I knew I would have to stop near the Gaylord area for the night. Pulled over and used my "smarter than I am" phone to use Tripadvisor and find a hotel. What pops near the top of the list? A small mom and pop type place, just off the beaten path near Gaylord. I always prefer to use the locally owned establishments when traveling so off I went. Arrived a little late 11pm or so, rang the buzzer and was greeted right away. Signed in and got a room quickly but also casually remarked I wouldn't have know about this motel without using tripadvisor. I was immediately given the reduced Tripadvisor rate, saving me some money right away!

The room looked just like a small cabin would look like up north. CLEAN room, simple easy layout, fridge, microwave and complimentary popcorn :)

All in all, I was extremely satisfied with my short stay and I must admit, I patted myself on the back for being so smart and using Tripadvisor on my first last minute overnight stay.

I would recommend this Inn to anyone. I fully intend to use this location again on any more UP trips.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Motownmanglers
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

WOW, I love it when we both Win! It sounds like you got a good deal and we got a new customer. Thanks for taking time to write a review and thanks for taking a chance on our little family owned Inn, a lot of folks pass us by to stay at the big name chains. Our resident manager Bob is so good at keeping our jewel shining.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

This is the cleanest, most comfortable little place. We stayed there last night after coming up from tennessee and loved it! Very quiet and did i say clean? Awesome job! We love the decor! We will not stay anywhere but the waters inn from now on when we are in michigan. Period. This is what a motel should be! Bravo!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Toolytrucks
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

WOW, thanks for your great review! My wife Brenda does the decorating, I do the marketing, but our Resident Manager Bob Holmes deserves most of the credit. Thanks again for taking the time to provide us your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed 1 night and got our money's worth, especially compared to other places in the area. The wall air conditioner roared and made sleep difficult. The phones were out but the motel has no control over lightning. The place was very clean and comfortable, the bag of Orville's microwave popcorn was a nice touch. I liked the place; the wife was expecting something a bit less rustic and found the tiny shower very claustrophobic.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jimbobdog1
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thanks so much for staying with us, our goal is to provide a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price and based on your review it seems like we accomplished that. Your report of about a noisy air conditioner concerns me and will be investigated to see if it needs adjustment or replacement.

Thanks again for staying with us and for taking time out of your day to provide feedback.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I wanted a good place to sleep for one night and this worked out fine. The rates were a welcome relief from the chains. Everything was very clean and there were plenty of towels. Although I didn't use them there was a frig and microwave in the room. The manager was very helpful and accomodating. My biggest issue was the small bathroom, but for one nite it was OK. There was an air conditioner but i didn't need it. The pine on the walls helped make it quiet, i think. We did make use of the coffeemaker in the room. I would certainly stay there again.

1  Thank Deltadriver
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Chris - We really appreciate you taking time to provide feedback to us! I really wish I could make our bathrooms bigger, but it's just not practical. It sounds like we met our goal of providing a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price and we look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

By amenities I mean a blow dryer! The owners, who live on property, didn't even have a loaner blow dryer. I advise a trip to Wal-mart to pick up a couple cheap blow dryers. Otherwise nice. Rooms and bathroom especially are small. But was quite, very clean and well priced.

1  Thank julie k
Scott B, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thanks for your kind words and suggestion about the hair dryer! We've had lots of requests for an iron and ironing board over the years so we have those on hand. Now (thanks to your input) we've been to Walmart, bought a couple of blow dryers and we are ready for your next visit. If you let us know when you make your reservation we will make even make sure it's in the room waiting for you.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your honest feedback, we genuinely appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Time had slipped away and we were barely 2 weeks away from a needed 4 night stay near Vanderbilt MI which is semi remote . So I tried a place in Indian River which sounded spic and span but it couldn't provide 4 nights in a row which we needed.Suddenly nobody could unless we stayed at a skiiing or golf resort for $120 plus per night, or put up with 2 star hotels with erratic at best reviews screaming about filth, noise, dogs, and never agains. So Waters Inn has great reviews. I will be totally honest . It is a bit far out from Gaylord 12 miles. From Vanderbilt 25. It was very reasonable , but the room was small, the bathroom very small, the shower water tepid which was puzzling as the sink on the same run was hot but not scalding so I suspect a turned down valve.probably for safety not so much economy ? The soap didn't melt well and didn't work well. Didn't use the coffee or popcorn. Plugged the fridge in it worked fine . Had to unplug the microwave to run the computer. All light bulbs real so you could read in bed unlike so many places.VERY CLEAN. VERY POLITE. No noise. Only went up the highway to a hilltop cafe. Very good 2 out of 3 days -they under did the hash browns day 2. So you have to parse the room cost location issues verses the great ratings for less $$ when you book late. So for us 5 stars despite minor stuff. And on a more hellish occasion probably rating even higher given the booked up grubby competition.One caveat: the free internet translates to 1 hr per 24 . Hence we bought in for the max rate but think about this. The most connected are the ones you get reviews from online so it makes more sense to give us more for less? Free advrteising I think. So in the end I left my card for you with my elderly Dad in Vanderbilt and said. "If your people are stuck out of luck then I like this just fine. 25 miles beats all current spendy or grubby or way distant places.And these folks care and try to improve. .Encore

Room Tip: all sameas far as i read..