“Not as good as crowds would indicate.”

Riverside Family Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Freeland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An independent family owned business that specializes in home cooked meals and desserts. Riverside Family Restaurant has been open for over 22 years.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as crowds would indicate.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here a few times, and ordered pies. Ample parking, but small waiting area, one bench and no standing room. Ok food, not good or bad. Slightly overpriced for the quality. People who like pie think the pies are good. I don't really like pie, but have had the raspberry, cream puff pie, which is good. Clean, family restaurant atmosphere.

Hemlock, Michigan, United States
“:)”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Food is always very good and it comes out quick. Something I do notice that happens a lot is that when we get the bill back the prices tend to be wrong, they will add extra things to the bill that we didn't order. Other than that service is great!

Visited August 2012
RiversideRest8295, Owner at Riverside Family Restaurant, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Gina:
I just wanted to thank you for your recent review of Riverside Family Restaurant on TripAdvisor. I love hearing from our customers and I greatly appreciate your honest comments on the Restaurant. It is a great tool for me to use to educate my staff on how to improve our customer service. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Chris Graebner
Riverside Family Restaurant
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,383 helpful votes
“Service needs to really improve at this once great family place...”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a 2nd visit for me to this family restaurant in the last 6 months. For a number of years, this place seemed to have it all together. It has a good, solid following, especially with seniors. It has good, basic, home cooked style food. It has great pies, something they are well known for. But the service has been bad. No one to seat you, though they have that sign sitting right there at the entrance. No room to stand, sometimes. Waitresses, busboys, register clerks, walk by and say nothing. They will stare at you and ignore your look, your comments, your questions. Last time, we finally seated ourselves. This time, the people ahead of us did so. There were several empty tables, all but 2 needed clearing off. When seated, we had 3 different staff come by and ask if we were ready to order our drinks. Different people brought our drinks. Another for our order. And so on. Wow, do they need some organizations.

Our food was good, not great. Maybe the same disorganization occurs in the kitchen. I had a Roast Beef sandwich on a pita. Another friend had a Patty Melt. One had a fish dinner. All were good. Lemon cheese cake followed, and a piece of pie...that was all good, too.

Prices are decent, parking lot large. But hey, organize a schedule and job rotation! Don't think they will have our business again, unfortunately.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank tymetraveler222
midland, mi
“Homestyle food”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Good standby food like your mom used to make. homemade pies and desserts.

2 Thank roger3116
“We didn't even get a waitress at our table.”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My mother and I went to pick up my Grandparents from the airport. They wanted to stop somewhere for breakfast. My grandma said s.he had eaten here before with her sister and the food was good. So we stopped in. We walked in, it was seat yourself. It wasn't busy, there were two tables with people and one family paying their bill. We found a table and sat down. After the waitress was done with checking out that family she disappeared for a few minutes. She came back out and decided to clean the table from the people that just left. Then she disappeared again. We didn't see her again until another couple walked in. She immediately went and got them menus. Then right after they got menus a second waitress appears with water and coffee for them. That was it for me. I stood up and said we are leaving. On the way out I said "thanks for breakfast" and my mother said "I guess we don't get service here". I know the waitress heard us we were walking right by her. She never even looked up. We went to Antonio's (which is right around the corner) and the food was good and the service was great. DO NOT EAT AT RIVERSIDE FAMILY RESTAURANT. Lets shut them down! You can find much better places to eat!

3 Thank coreyjoseph83