“Great Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a little off the beaten path but the food and ambiance is worth it. Plan on arriving early as it get busy later on. The fish and steaks are the best in the area.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Manitou is a Frankfort institution, featuring fresh, locally-caught fish in a cozy, Up North setting. The casual, lodge-like decor might mislead you into thinking this is just a local bar and grill, but the entrees are anything but ordinary. Go there for the fish, which is perfectly prepared with just a delicate amount of seasoning to enhance the fish and not mask the natural flavors. And if you are able to get there between 4-6 p.m., you'll be greeted with an incredible Early Bird menu that doesn't disappoint. While I have heard the entree sizes are slightly smaller on the Early Bird menu, I never noticed it because it came with a salad or soup course, fresh bread and even a veggie and dip tray. Just an incredible find in a beautiful setting in Northern Michigan.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I arrived at 5p to take advantage of early bird menu. I ordered the whitefish and my husband chose to order the walleye from the dinner menu because he wanted a larger serving size. Food was cooked perfectly and was delicious. Service was above average and our waiter did an excellent job! For dessert we shared the raspberry blueberry pie! I would recommend going early because the resturant filled up even though it was in Sept. Great meal. If you are not familar with the area, check map. It is outside Frankfort and a pretty drive to get there. We will definately go back!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped @ 5 PM and were delighted to see the early bird menu. The sauteed perch was the best I've ever had! The homemade carrot bisque was creamy and delicious! Our server was really friendly and the atmosphere is charmingly "up north". We will go back, there are many things on the menu that I would love to try.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

A friend highly recommended the Manitou. She and her husband have a vacation place near there and eat there frequently, so we trusted their opinion. We may have come on an off day, because our experience was not so good. Our server seemed tired and didn't really have a grasp of what was on the menu. The food was okay. We ordered a glass of wine with our meal and it didn't come until we were on our last bite. The server was no where to be found prior to that so we could check on the status. Same thing happened to the couple at the next table. They were so angry they sent the wine back. The place seemed kind of disheveled as if they had just had a huge rush, but it was fairly early and the restaurant was not full. We vacation every year in the area and we may give it another try at some point, but we'll probably give some new places a try before we do that.