“Great place!”

Bavarian Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bavarian Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Frankenmuth
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: 1,200-seat German-themed dining rooms offer a variety of meals - from Frankenmuth-style chicken to Wiener Schnitzel and other German specialties, vegetarian and Gluten Free menus. Catering available. Lower level Castle Shops include Jester's Cafe offering meals to go and 8 other Specialty Shops.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Kids and I have eaten here many times, food was always good, services excellent. We ask what the vegetable is, we don't order the noodles, we get all white meat, they always get our order correct. My son loves the soup, they bring him multiple bowls, no problem. We tried Zehnder's but didn't like it at all, kids won't go back there. Everything has always been excellent. Portions are large, it's family style, but you can ask for small servings, I'm the only one who eats the dressing, so I ask for a small bowl of it, etc. Again, they always get the order correct.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,401)

Reviewed July 5, 2012

After livening in Germany for 8 years ,, perhaps I was expecting too much?? But I think NO,, the food was a HORRIBLE !! attempt at good German classics ,, the sourbraten was roast beef with sweet& sour sauce , and some kind of frozen preformed wener shnitzel , dry as the Sahara ,, and the staff needs to learn the beers menu, myself and my family were VERY disappointed , and won't be returning

Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I've eaten here since I was a child and my family came to Frankenmuth as tourists, it was our place for birthdays and special occasions. Now that I live in town, it's one of our favorite places to eat! You can grap a sandwich in the roof garten or the all you can eat meal in one of the main dining rooms, there is something for everyone, including gluten free meals! Gotta Love Bavarian Inn!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Let me start off by saying that the service was near ideal. Our waiter was efficient, unobtrusive, and generally quick on the pick up. He forgot to bring a mixed vegetable substitution dish at one point, but we had barely noticed. He was tipped in full, deservedly.
Now, on to the 'food'.
First, we are brought two breads. Three slices of one homemade white bread, and three of a bread with fruit and nuts baked in it, and sugar sprinkled on top. With it came a fairly pleasant strawberry rhubarb preserve, and some crackers for the soup. We are asked what we would like to drink. (They do not serve Coke products. Not a big deal, but if you have a preference...)
Steeply downhill from there.
-Noodle Soup: disgusting. The noodles were too soft, overcooked to the point of almost falling apart. The soup itself either came out of a can or was mostly broth. As someone accustomed to legitimately homemade soups (not even stock from the store), it was woefully disappointing.
-Salads: disappointing. The Sauerkraut was awful. Obviously missing a key ingredient, which I could not put my finger on. Out came a cranberry relish that was fairly average, but compared to the other salads was the best. Out also came some cottage cheese, and a strange salad with some kind of bean that was generally bland.
-Actual entrees: Of the four of us, (all having ordered a different meal) there was absolutely nothing I would come back for. After all having tried eachothers' meals, everything other than the chicken was either oversauced, overcooked, overbreaded, or bland. The chicken itself was no better (perhaps worse) than Kentucky Fried Chicken's. Which is 80% cheaper. The mashed potatoes tasted like instant. The noodles were immersed in butter (and I am NOT a healthy eater), and rendered inedible. There were cheesy potato cakes (that were probably originally frozen), and they were actually average enough to eat. Stuffing was also an available side, but it looked like cat food and had an unpleasant aftertaste. They do serve fries.
-Dessert: A choice of ice cream or cookies. No bones to pick about the ice cream, it tasted just like ice cream is expected to taste. The cookies were dry, tasting of cardboard, although salvageable if combined with the ice cream.
At an average of $25 per person, the result is that the food was ridiculously overvalued, and over portioned. My stingy nature forced me to take the leftovers home, even though I probably will never touch them.
I would consider this place 'senior citizen friendly' as everyone there was distinctly elderly, or very, very young. Also, almost every diner was extremely overweight, although this isn't uncommon for northern Michigan areas.

ASIDE: Would absolutely recommend Frankenmuth FunShips. It is a small boat tour over the river. NOT the Bavarian Belle. The Bavarian Belle is too large (150 passengers) and the bottom half of the boat is covered in window panes. The Frankenmuth FunShips is found next to the brewery, and offers a relaxing private boat ride, for the duration of your choosing. The boat offers water, soft drinks, and a few varieties of beer. It is very reasonably priced, and has a tour guide who happily communicates and answers questions, rather than a pre-recorded tour. Highly recommended. As for your day in Frankenmuth, this may very well be the highlight, other than perusing the smaller shops around town.

WARNING: There is a restaurant similar to this across the street. It is no different. In fact, it, like half of the entire town, is owned by the same family.

1  Thank jessvovk
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

I would have a hard time describing how disappointed I was to read this review in a written response. I have taken pride in working for this company and standing behind our reputation of excellent service and delicious homecooked meals for over 10 years. I am very sorry that your visit with us did not leave you feeling the same way! My hope is that you will contact me here at the restaurant and give me the opportunity to speak with you in person. Kim Ramirez Hospitality Division Manager. Thank you for the opportunity to turn you into a believer!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Loved the liver & onions at the Bavarian Inn Lodge Restaurant. If you like this dish, it is a must order!

Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

I could not agree with you more! They are also an excellent source of iron, especially for women and around a time of year where donating blood is so important. It has delicious and nutritional benefits! Thank you.