“Wundebar! Enjoy a German feast without having to cross the Atlantic!”

Bavarian Inn Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Frankenmuth
Cuisines: American, German, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 1,200-seat German-themed dining rooms offer a variety of meals - from Frankenmuth-style chicken to Wiener Schnitzel and other German specialties, vegetarian and Gluten Free menus. Catering available. Lower level Castle Shops include Jester's Cafe offering meals to go and 8 other Specialty Shops.
Woodbridge
“Wundebar! Enjoy a German feast without having to cross the Atlantic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wife and I try to eat at this wonderful restaurant at least once a year, while traveling through the lower peninsula of Michigan. Bavarian-attired staff greet you and waiters and all staff are traditionally dressed. The restaurant is HUGE, but you get close personal attention as in a family restaurant, because this and other Frankenmuth restaurants are family/locally owned. There are many, many rooms to this restaurant, with various German themes. The menu is indeed extensive, and though "chicken dinners" are a tradition (for good reason), their German selections are very nice as well. My favorite is their Yeagerschnitzel. Oh my, so much offered. If you have a lighter appetite, ask about their "smaller portions." The basic dessert included is their version of "homemade ice cream" (the only disappointment, and while it is not bad, it is essentially "soft-serve.") They have a wonderful offering of great desserts, at an additional cost. Who has room? My wife and I can hardly separate the food experience at the Bavarian In from the overall Frankenmuth experience. Please take time to stroll about this wonderfully quaint town after dinner. The streets are gorgeous, with hanging flower baskets everywhere, and the Bavarian Inn itself is landscaped to match. The setting of the restaurant is between busy Main Street and the Cass River, with a nearby beautiful and functioning covered bridge. Do yourself (and family) a favor and get off of I-75 through Michigan, and take the time to "experience" the Bavarian Inn and surrounding Frankenmuth. We love it!

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank foodfan57VA
KimberlyRamirez, Manager at Bavarian Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! It is always rewarding to see how our guests enjoy our food and hospitality, as well as their adventures through our Little Bavaria of Frankenmuth! It is a wonderful family destination & we look forward to serving your family for many generations to come!

Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,224 helpful votes
“Excellent (albeit Expensive) German Food - Definitely Worth It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Had lunch here on Sunday, August 7th. Although this is a family-style experience, I was here by myself and had a wonderful time. Food and service was excellent; the atmosphere is a little bit "kitchsy?", but fun. Wait staff in traditional German food, and decor included German elements. I was serenaded by the accordion player who wanders about the place!

Since I am not a fan of chicken, I skipped the famous chicken meals. At Sunday lunch, you can order off the lunch menu (smaller meal) or indulge in the larger, more expensive dinner menu. Since I was planning to skip my evening meal, I went with the dinner menu which was way too much food! Portions are more than ample, and the waiters will box it up to take home (for another meal later). My waiter (Sean) was attentive and helpful with suggestions on things to see and do in Frankenmuth.

I highly recommend the Bravarian Combo Platter. It costs $21.99 (dinner menu), but it includes smoked pork loin, schnitzel (breaded pork loin) and sauerbraten (beef). All three meats were great, and each alone was enough for a meal. The smoked pork loin, in particular, was outstanding. Besides the meats, the meal included:

1. several types of bread and a berry flavored jam -- both the bread and jam can be purchased in the stores below the restaurant
2. chicken noodle soup - this was short of chicken, but the noodles were very good
3. cole slaw, cucumber salad, cranberry salad and chicken pasta salad -- all were great, but the cranberry salad I kept to eat with the pork
4. mixed vegetables (this was the only so-so item on the menu)
5. buttered noodles that were delicious
6. stuffing, just like Grandma makes (if Grandma was a good cook)

Except for the steamed veggies, which were sort of bland, everything was just great!. I was too full for dessert, but bought some downstairs to take home. Although the place was pretty crowded, neither the service nor the food suffered from the crowds. The food really does taste homemade!

Bottom-Line: Excellent Food, Special Place!

Hint: The day I was there there were large crowds and a waiting line at Zehnder's (across the street). The menu here is pretty much the same as the main floor of Zehnder's, but there was no waiting here; so check out both. Zehnder's looks a little more upscale, e.g., fancier tableclothes, but comparable food. The Zehnder's menu includes more items than the Bavarian Inn, but both feature chicken and the same German foods. Zehnder's also has more steaks and seafood, but why go to a German restaurant for that? Also, time your visit to see the bells ringing at the bell tower; the day I was there the figures were not working, but the story of the Pied Piper in English and German was cute.

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
KimberlyRamirez, Manager at Bavarian Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Hello Cynthia,

I enjoyed reading your review immensely!! I am so pleased that Sean took great care of you while you were here! Our team members really understand the importance of family, and our guests are our extended family! Our Grandma Dorothy is in our kitchen every day, even at 89 years old, she is running circles around the team, and keeping a close eye on the food quality. Only the best for our guests! I had to laugh when you mentioned the dressing. That is one item she pays particular attention to, and only enjoys her's plain without gravy. I, however, load up both my potatoes and dressing with that delicious gravy!! Probably while I'll never be a skinny woman :) Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great family experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Excellent food of the home cooked variety, with top notch service. The family style meal is the best deal. A little hokey? Sure, but it's part of the fun. If time allows, catch the glockenspiel demonstration outside. For weekends and holidays, reservations are a good idea. Afterwords check out the bakery in the basement for good and unusual breads.

Westbrook, CT
“Very nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We ordered the German lunch and were very satisfied with our selection. We especially appreciated the waitress suggesting that we order from the lunch menu as the dinner selections included more food than we wanted.
We also enjoyed the gift shops after our meal.

Martinsburg, West Virginia
“So awful it has to be true”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Since Frankenmuth is over 2 hours away from our home, we made reservations on line. We arrive about a half hour early and told the greeterl that we had reservations but were early. She told us that they really weren't very busy and seating us early would not be a problem. She then told us to take the line to the left. The line to the left was for customers with reservations and the line to the right was for customers walking in off the street. We stood in the line for 20 minutes as the 3 hostesses seated customer after customer from the "off the street line". There would be a lull in the line, and I would think "OK, now surely we will be seated" but no. Not only were we not seated, the hostesses did not make any eye contact, nor did they communicate in any way. I would have expected at the very least "We will be with you in just a few minutes" but this did not happen. After 20 minutes, my husband (who was very hungry) suggested we just go over to the non reservation line. When we did, our "cloak of invisibility" apparently was lifted and we were warmly greeted and seated immediately. The whole thing was not only uncomfortable but just plain weird. Food was OK, Table side service was fine. A week or so later I got an e-mail from a manager "Justin" asking about our experience. I reiterated what I've told all of you here. He responded within the hour with an e-mail that started off "Dear Kristen". You may wonder what the problem with that is? My name is not Kristen - not even close. This would be the end of the matter as I chose not to reply to the e-mail, but I got yet another e-mail yesterday from Justin which thanked me for my review of the Inn and gave me a link to this website and asked me to share my experience..... Well, Ok Justin - happy to oblige. It's beginning to look like issues at the Bavarian inn are a "top down" issue....

1 Thank Seasonsgrt
KimberlyRamirez, Manager at Bavarian Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent visit. I want to apologize for the inadequate service you received, and miscommunication in our recovery efforts. I am confident that we can talk soon in person, and appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make things right. This type of service is certainly below our standards and not acceptable. I have reached out through the contact information we have from your reservation that day, and I hope to hear from you soon. Your family continuing to come to Frankenmuth and the Bavarian Inn Restaurant is very important to our family! Talk with you soon. Thank you again.