“Come for the chicken-but make a reservation!”

Zehnder's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Zehnder's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 43 Restaurants in Frankenmuth
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Description: Hospitality abounds with traditional family style chicken dinners and tantalizing breads and pastries in the world-famous Zehnder's of Frankenmuth restaurant.
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The sign says famous chicken dinners and they are ! We spent 45 minutes in line on abusy Saturday night waiting for a table. There is no food worth waiting for that length of time for, but this came close. The chicken is very tasty and all the sides that some along are great as well. It is very hard not to fill up on the good stuff that is served before the entree, so try to pace yourself.

I am amazed by some of the negative reviews you can read here, we found the wait to get seated awful, but the service and the food were great! If you are going, by all means make reservations, OR plan on going at off-peak hours.

1  Thank Markp1964
Write a ReviewReviews (2,467)

Reviewed October 12, 2009

A group of 5 of us went for a late dinner.
We all ordered the very, over priced dinners.
I felt so bad for the waitress and knew that it was the kitchen staffs fault, not hers when receiving, cold soup, bread that you could chip a tooth on, cold potatoes, dressing, squash. You can't mess up cole slaw, cranberry relish & sherbet. You could tell that the kitchen staff was closing up the kitchen and putting things away before the restaurant doors were closed for the night. Terrible, just terrible!
I've worked in food service for over 30 years and my motto has always been, If I wouldn't eat, I surely wouldn't serve it.
We will never eat there again.
If you have $20 a pop, to thow away, go ahead, but I won't drop a dime in Zehnder's again.
Anyone that just loves this place, surely has NO taste for what good, quality food is!

1  Thank NeeSeeOhio
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I visited Zehnder's just this past weekend with out of town family. I kept telling them that people go to Frankenmuth just for the chicken. Well, I was never so embarrassed! The wait after we were seated was very long for not very many people being there at the time we were seated. The food was a lot worse than KofC for a cost of $ 20.00 a person. Instant potatoes, cold bland soup, grey stuffing that tasted like a wet paper box and little portions that I had to keep asking the waitress to keep feeling (hoping the next dish would be warmer). Do not waste your money!

1  Thank carla999
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I had looked forward to a visit to Frankenmuth on a recent business trip to Saginaw. The thought of some great German food and goo pils beer was on my mind for days beforehand.

My customer, who lives in the area, had selected this restaurant...stating "it was true German food and beer". Well, I knew they had never been to Germany, but just because a place offers schnitzel, doesn't make for good German food. As I found out, the only thing "German" about this place...well, I guess maybe the name?

This place would be better suited to offer family-style cooking and all-you-can-eat buffets (actually think they do the latter on weekends). I ordered what the waiter said was "real German beer and schnitzel". I receievd a Warsteiner beer (uh...OK), and a deep fried strip of pork with satueed onions on top? Food was not good.

The only thing I enjoyed about the food in this place was the bread (and cheese spreads). Thanks goodness they brought more of it, since I filled up on that.

Maybe next time, I'll try a different place there and ask a lot of the locals beforehand.

1  Thank Oasys
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We went for the traditional chicken dinner, and it was like many reviewers have already said--not worth the money. The chicken was greasy, the potatoes were instant, and the vegetables were overcooked. About the only thing we liked were the appetizers. We love the slaw and cranberry salad, and the cheese and liver pate were good too. But for the price, we could go to the Z Cafe in the lower level and order the slaw and cranberry salad and skip the rest of the meal.

1  Thank Donnag