“Kids had a great time singing karaoke.”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Fenton, Michigan
“Kids had a great time singing karaoke.”
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We have stayed here many times. We always have a great time. Family fun,indoor pools, putt & games. Karaoke for the kids. Great frankenmuth chicken. Adult beverages.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you for your repeated visits to the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am so happy to hear that you are creating family memories here. I hope this means you are a member of the Bavarian Inn Perks Club! Please look me up upon your return visit. Hope you can join us in our 25th anniversary year!

Jim Engel, GM / COO
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Great service from a very friendly staff. The room was quiet and very clean. Temperature control was excellent. The only downside was a bed that was too firm, but I was the only family member that had difficulty sleeping.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind words regarding the service received during your recent stay. So happy that the entire family had a wonderful stay. I apologize that you personally have an uncomfortable nights sleep. We did recently purchase hundreds of new mattresses but I am not sure of your room number so I don't know if your bed was a new or 3 year old mattress. If you return soon, lay on the bed for a bit upon arrival. IF you feel it is too firm, call the front desk to arrange a different guestroom.

Thanks so much for your patronage. It is my pleasure to be a 4th generation employee from my family working with 4th generation owners of the Bavarian Inn. I am in my 34th year of service at Bavarian Inn and hope to meet you upon your return trip.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Scent of chlorine is somewhat overwhlming from the 5 pools, but the kids and I always enjoy going to the Lodge. For myself, I always enjoy reading the history of all the local families associated with each room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
So glad to hear you enjoy your repeat visits to the Lodge. I'm sorry that you feel there is an overwhelming odor of chlorine at all 5 pools. All five pools are engineered appropriately for humidity control and fresh air control. In fact, the toddler pool with the current pool are one set of controls, but every other pool has a stand alone air control system. Perhaps you are a bit sensitive to the odor as I only on very rare situations hear about a problem. When I do it is with one particular pool and we can identify a specific system that has tripped a breaker or has a problem. I am not aware of all pools ever having a problem with air circulation or chemical levels simultaneously. As you know various pools are in opposite ends of the complex from each other.

Thank you for your kind words about the family histories. We recently updated all 370 histories (yes some rooms have two) with the help of the families and have been placing more imagery and heirlooms in various rooms over the past year. All family histories can be seen on our website.

I hope you return soon and if you feel there is any air challenges at any pool, contact a Manager on Duty right away.

Jim Engel, GM / COO
detroit area
Reviewed January 4, 2011

the town was all decorated for christmas, so beautifgul . stayed 2 nights at the bavarian inn in a suite and definitely will be returning soon. the hot tub and huge walk in shower with 4 spray heads was awesome. couldnt see everything neat in town in 2 days sooooo.. we willl be back!! very enjoyable stay.

1 Thank trademembers
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thanks so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay in a whirlpool suite. So glad you enjoyed the renovated suite. Yes, we receive many compliments on the 4 head Kohler shower system - so glad you enjoyed it! We look forward to your return visit!

Jim Engel, G.M. / C.O.O.
Rochester MI
Reviewed January 1, 2011

The Bavarian Inn Lodge was a last minute attempt to fill the gap for a family New Years Eve Party event for both adults and teens after the Pine Knob skiing / NYE party was canceled due to warm weather and rain. We felt very lucky to get into the lodge, as the night was essentially sold out. The front desk staff was friendly, professional, Stephen was great working to get us into the lodge, calling us back when they had a cancelation. The place is wonderfully decorated, lots of wood carving, charm. Room prices are quite expensive for what they are and based on the sheer size of the property (364 rooms). This property is geared towards family fun, with several pools and a huge "fun center" that is a labarynth of token operated games similar to the Chuck E Cheese type machines. It felt a bit like a casino for kids. They have a very well taken care of putt putt golf course inside.

The reason why we came there was primarily the whole New Years Eve package described in the website and brochures as "Join us this New Year's Eve for a night of Memories, Music, Food and Fun! You won't want to miss this year's New Year's Eve party Exclusively for Families or our Adult Gala!" There were two "Celebration Packages" available, an adult only one and a family one which we picked. Cost was $60 for each of us, as anyone over the age of 12 is an "adult". This was to include Party Favors, New Year's Eve Dinner Buffet and New Year's Day Breakfast Buffet, all taxes and gratuities included, and a Cash Bar. When we spoke to the staff on the phone we were told there was a suggested dress code: no jeans or T-shirts, very nice casual clothes, no formal atire required. The key language here is "Celebration Package, exclusive for families or adults...." leading guests to believe that they are required to pay $60 a person for this event. Nothing is farther from the truth.

We were seated for a wonderful dinner of chicken and very rare prime rib. I'd have to equate the value to be similar to the $22 dinner offered normally, albeit on a holiday. We were given our party favors: a plastic top hat for guys and a cardboard and glitter tiarra for girls. Everyone got an inexpensive cardboard horn as a noise maker. (I would have to guess the quality was more dollar store level). there were lots of items for sale - better hats, glowing items and so forth.

When it was time for the party we moved to the Courtyard area. What was immediately apparent was there was no one checking us off a list, since anyone in the place was allowed in to party, even if they were not a guest of the hotel (since no one was checking for arm bands, room keys, whatever). There was no security of any kind seen even though alcohol was being served. there were no managers seen. The dress code was, well, none at all. There were a couple teens in pajamas, many adults in T-shirts and bad jeans. Women wore bad work out clothes. think of Saturday AM shoppers at Walmart, and you've got an image of what the crowd was like. there was even one guy that looked like he walked out of his hunting blind - camo shirt, boots, hat. It's my opinion that if the lodge set the dress code they would boost up the class of attendees. More on that in a minute. What was apparent though was that the $60 per person was actually an inflated price of basically double the cost for dinner and breakfast. That is it. Anyone who walked in got to go to the party for free. It was not "exclusive " at all.

The band that played was good, with recorded popular tunes played when the band too breaks. The bar prices were up there, but this was NYE. For example a normally $5 bottle of St Julian Winery's sparkling grape juice for "toasting" was $16.

What took away from the gala event was that there was a large number of people in a party area with no security or management to react to incidents. There were at least three skuffles / fights with only the attendees there to respond to the incidents. One of the fights was caused by several apparently unsupervised teens that brought cans of Silly Strings in, and were shooting other attendees directly in the face. They shot a 2 year old in the face who was being held by his mother next to us on the dance floor. The father came to the rescue, a brawl ensued. We fled. No reaction by the staff was seen. Two other groups of young people got into fights, with resulting yelling and again no response by the staff. The whole thing was essentially chaos, and overall a poor experience for my family. We made the best out of it, trying to minimize the negative seen by our kids.

To be fair we did meet with a senior manager of the hotel later, expressed the dissappointment in the party, the obvious poor value, etc. We received a letter of appologiy and a nice credit on our bill.

If this is the type of party that is acceptable my suggestion is to not purchase the $60 per person package, order dinner and breakfast off the menu, and bring your own party favors.

If however the Bavarian Inn wishes to make this a true package - then it should be marketed as such. There should be security assigned in any party where there is a bar or when no one is at the door preventing people from bringing liquor in from their room (yes - that was happening too). Kids should not be allowed to enter without a parent. (parents should not be allowed to party in their rooms while unsupervised teens wreck the party). There should be a wrist band system for those that paid - just like they currently use for access to the pools in the complex. Someone should be at the doors checking bands and enforcing a dress code. It is New Years Ever for crying out loud. People that look like they just got done mowing the grass or are trying to look like gang bangers should be told that they cannot attend wearing that apparel. No jeans, no T-shirts, no bare feet and swim shorts (yup - that was allowed on the dance floor too. Pretty exclusive, huh?!)

The room was clean, and was in honor of a local German family. That was a nice touch. the wall and door allow noise to pass freely. Anyone talking in the halls sound like they are in the same room. The next renovation should consider sound soak wall treatment versus the hard "dorm look" walls. Pillows an mattresses were, well, bad. Very hard and uncomfortable.

It seems like all standards have slipped since this place was a regular destination just a few years ago. That's too bad. Great location and efforts, just WAY too expensive for this poor of quality in event management and overpricing event meals, but calling it an "exclusive party".

9 Thank jiml3222
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you for your lengthy feedback regarding your New Years Eve Stay. The details shared here are extremely familiar to me as the Senior Staff member you spoke with at approximately 12:45am was myself.

First, Thank you for your kind words regarding your staff interactions, check-in process, quality of the fun center games and miniature golf, the entertainment and dancing in the Courtyard pool area & clean guestrooms.

I would like to address your concerns regarding New Years Eve and our parties. I believe that in the many conversations you had with various reservationists that confusion between dress code in the dining areas for our adult only and our family parties became confused with dress code in our pool areas where dancing, karaoke and live music were performed. In our dining areas we did note a dress code and overall they were adhered to. Many families did attend the family party in Blue Jeans even though we discouraged it but we have never turned a guest away because the chose to dress that way. That said, no one was in inappropriate clothing or bathing suits or barefoot in our dining areas. The ongoing activities in our Family Fun Center and our Courtyard Pool areas have always allowed a fun, late night, family focused celebration atmosphere on New Years Eve. Some children are in pajamas celebrating with parents and grandparents. I saw adults (on the inside of the pool area) dancing the Macarena as the got out of the hot tub. Yes, that dress code was diverse. I believe that thru my staff, you felt the dining dress code should have been consistent till past midnight in the entire hotel. The Adult Party was a more formal affair for the entire evening. I am sorry for the confusion.

I must say that thru today, I have not received any like disappointment from other guests regarding the Courtyard dress code. Regarding no management or security on site. As I told you in person this was not true. I personally was acting as the DJ on-stage in our pool area all evening between sets of live band music. When a disagreement occurred between two parties (due to children using silly string) I and the bar manager personally intervened within 30 seconds. It was only a verbal interaction between two ladies. All management acts as security in our hotel 24 hours a day year round. That evening along with myself, Judy Zehnder, the owner and Imelda Leix our G.M., there were 12 other managers who have security as their responsibility till after midnight.

Regarding your comment of liquor being brought into the party, this would in fact be illegal. You did not mention this fact to me when we met. Please bring this to the attention of a manager in any party you may be a part of in a licensed bar facility as this is illegal. We did have bartenders going to tables to take drink orders. We did sell bottles of champagne and non-alcoholic sparkling juice as well. Perhaps this is what you saw and presumed it to be liquor.

There has been no need to check wristbands at the door and enforce a dress code. 99% of the people in the party were overnight guests. I am sorry that other hotel guests did not feel compelled to dress up in dress pants & shirt or a lovely dress like you and your wife did. We will evaluate what we can reasonably do to address this in today's "casual" style of dress in society. If in fact you are looking for a more formal new years even function with semi-formal dress that includes children, I do not know where to refer you in the State of Michigan.

Finally to clarify, the dancing in the Courtyard and the karaoke in the Fun Center was not advertised to the public. We do not allow children from the area to visit our fun center after 9pm unless accompanied by their parent. As a lifelong resident I know that no more than 10 people in these areas were local (6 of them were my family). Therefore the dress code you were disappointed in were people who paid for the same party and event that you did.

Again, I am sorry that this was a disappointment. We are meeting later today to share notes for improvements for next year and I will share your comments with the entire Executive team. But I already know that the events in the pool areas will allow casual and even pajama dressed children. If this would disappoint you, I would understand you selecting another venue instead of ours.

Thank you for your professional and rational approach to discussing this in person. With the significant compensation I provided for the confusion, and explanation I was disappointed to see your resulting score here. We do look forward to serving you again as I hope you, your wife and children will visit again as you have many times in the past at other times of year.

Westland, Michigan
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Joan and Kim at the front desk helped me, even when I made a booking error on-line. They fixed the problem with grace and kindness. It was my fault, but they did not make me feel bad in the slightest. They were awesome!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Lululu44,,

First, my apology for the very late response to your review of the Bavarian Inn Lodge from 2011. We learned of a new tool that helps you see reviews you have not responded to, so I am responding nearly two years later.

That said, Thank You so much for your review and king words. Kim and Joan BOTH still work here and help guests every day they work.

We have made significant strides in replacing mattresses, adding two water slides, remodeling in most of our guestrooms, adding a four pillow (soft / firm) pillow sets to every bed and so much more.

We hope that you will consider a return visit and thank you for your past patronage and this review,

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Grand Blanc MI
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I have traveled to Frankenmuth for 30 years and joined the perks club because of enjoying this city. A previous unmentioned experience kept me away; but I decided to try again and was glad I did. I brought my children (except for one in Afghanistan), and grandchildren to celebrate Christmas together.
There was an incident that was immediately handled by Robin and Heidi with smiles and full attention to quality and details in what I used to experience in coming to the Bavarian Inn Lodge. The staff understood the heritage and pride that goes along with creating wonderful experiences for their guests.
The special of 1000 tokens for $200.00 was a nice touch and allowed the grandchildren many hours of fun on the game area. The games have tickets that can be used for prizes.
The pool area is maintained and I noticed the staff paying careful attention to having towels for the entire guests.
Like others mentioned, I would recommend checking onto the Perks club. I used this benefit to receive a great rate on my room. This is such a good idea, because my family spent quite a bit of money, but checked out knowing everyone had a great time.
If you are coming for quiet time, check out the whirl-pool suites or larger suites on the fourth floor. The standard rooms are quiet as far as hearing noise from room to room in comparison to other places, but some people are not considerate in the hallways. This is a family place, so expect hearing children being excited and noisy. The pool is opened until 11pm weekdays, and midnight on the weekends. This is so considerate of people traveling to have fun.
I have eaten in every place available at the Bavarian Inn Lodge and have not been disappointed. Each room came with a coupon book, which is nice to use. Check it out before spending money in different areas of the Inn and city.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, December 25, 2010
Thank you for bringing your entire family back to Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the children enjoyed those shiny-from-the-mint-new tokens to put into the machines in our Fun Center. We keep trying to think of ways to provide value for the dollars spent and give the best level of FUN possible. I will share your kind comments with the staff and especially thank Robin & Heidi for assisting you.

Until your return visit,

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!