“Great for kids”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great for kids”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

If you are travelling as a family, with kids this place is great! I would not recommend this place if you are looking for that romantic get away or you are 20 somethings looking for a kid free environment.

Our kids loved this place. They loved the fun area, the pools, the mini golf and the food! they had a real blast. We booked a family suite and it was pleasant and met our needs perfectly. We travelled with a baby and were pleased to discover that the cribs are proper cribs and not pack and plays. We have stayed in several much better hotels and have discovered that their crib is just a pack and play. Parents know that babies sleep better in a proper bed, to have access to a proper crib made our stay more pleasant all round.

The staff are great, on two occasions our kids were given additional tickets in the fun area by staff, they thought they had won the lottery! Check in and check out was simple. The chicken dinner in the restaurant is great! our son really loved it!

We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thank you for visiting the Lodge with your family. I am so pleased to hear how much your children and entire family enjoyed your experience and especially the Family Fun Center.

Regarding your comment about it not being a place for couples... I would just like to share that we have 18 whirlpool suites, nightly entertainment and one of the 5 indoor pools and 1 0f 3 whirlpools is dedicated to adults only. So we have worked hard to try to provide amenities for various guests who all reside in the same building!

Thanks again and I hope to see you on your return visit!

Jim Engel, GM
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
Indianapolis
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed in a suite (rm 1106). It was very clean but could be so much better with updated furniture, fixtures, better towels, and better decor. The "bones" of the resort are great and I truly hope updates occur so the hotel's reputation remains at a high level. My family loved the putt putt golf, and the exterior setting. I would recommend that the owners look to the VonTrapp family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont for a themed facility that works at this price point.

• Stayed August 2010
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Traveljunkies,

Thank you for your 2010 Trip Advisor Posting on the Lodge. My apologies for the delay in responding, just learned of a tool to see older posts and respond to them. Thank you for your insights and please know... we have made significant improvements since your 2010 stay. Both in guestrooms and public areas, now with two water slides and continued upgrades coming!

Thank you for your past patronage and kind review on this site... update us on how we are doing if you have stayed again more recently!

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I have visited Frankenmuth every June for over ten years and always stay at the Bavarian Inn. We have come to expect courtesy, a clean room, and no unpleasant surprises. During our visit this year, we were not disappointed. As Perks Club members, we received a very favorable rate. We requested and received a room in the section closest to the Adults Only pool. Although the BI has multiple, great pools for kids and teenagers, the Adults Only pool, reserved for those over 21, is a real bonus. And the section closest to that pool is quiet and was again this year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eagle1949
Dear Eagle,

Thank you for your 2010 Trip Advisor Posting on the Lodge. My apologies for the delay in responding, just learned of a tool to see older posts and respond to them. So Glad that you have enjoyed the adult pool during frequent visits Thank you for your frequent stays and hope you are able to share continued great experiences with other Guests.

Michigan
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Bavarian Inn Lodge. This was our second time staying at the lodge and overall we had a great time.

The Rooms - We had room 164 (Chase) It was a standard room with 2 double beds and a window view of the parking lot. The room was clean, but could use some improvement. The Beds are the absolute worst I have ever slept on in a hotel. They are very uncomfortable and hard as a rock - I suggest the hotel change them pretty soon, as they were the same uncomfortable beds that were there on my last visit 5 years ago. Also, the bathroom in the standard room have the sink outside the bathroom, which is nice, however this makes the bathroom extremely small. You barely have any room to change in that bathroom if you want privacy from other guests in your room. Every room in the hotel has a refridgerator and a coffee maker and free WI-FI (wireless) internet acces. Overall, the room was clean, but the quality was just average.

The restaurants - We ate Breakfast one morning at the Ratskeller, The food was very mediocre and overpriced for what it was. Also, you get no refills on Pop, Juice, or even Coffee! And the cup for juice is extremely small - I felt like a kid again. We didn't eat at Oma's this time, but it is pretty similar to Bavarian Inn Restaurant and Zhender's, but cheaper. I remember eating there before on our previous visit and we enjoyed it.

Hotel has 2 gift shops

Pools - There are 5 indoor pools located in the hotel. One is adult only located in the indoor courtyard, did not use that one, but couples without kids, might really enjoy it. The other 4 are located in the Fun Center. One is a standard pool with a waterfall - Many people seem to not know about this pool because it is sort of hidden, walk past the mini golf course and you will see it. I enjoyed that one because it was often less crowded. The other 3 are located collectively together on the other end of the Fun Center, one is a standard pool and the two other are kiddie pools - Great for the smaller children!!!!! Pools are great - but can get pretty crowded, If you dislike swimming with crowds, then I advise you to not stay here if you plan to swim. But overall, Pools are lots of fun - But unless you have small children, it is really nothing you can't get elsewhere.

Fun Center - As stated above the Fun Center contains 4 pools.It also contains an Arcade which is really not all that special. Small kids will have a blast, but older kids may not enjoy it as much - The Redemption center is the worst I have ever seen, it is all cheap stuff you can buy at your hometown dollar store. So the arcade is nothing worthwhile as most games are rip-off ticket games. Also in the fun center is putt-putt golf, this was fun but again, nothing you can't get elsewhere. So overall, the fun center are great for the little ones, otherwise it is nothing special.

PS - Despite what they advertise. There is NO waterpark at this hotel. And the Longest waterpark hours in Michigan is simply a lie! 1) There is NO WATERPARK! 2) The pools close at 11pm SHARP! (Midnight on weekends) and also the pools are closed EVERYDAY from 11am-2pm (approx.) for chemicals - That is a huge turnoff when you are paying 170+ a night and if you plan to swim before going out for the day or before people check-in!!! So BEWARE OF THE LIE!

The staff - The staff at this hotel are generally friendly but seem to lack professional standards. At check in the lady forgot to give us "Charge Privlidge cards" which allows you to charge stuff to your room, and also it seems they know nothing about Frankenmuth except for what Zhender owns. Everytime I asked about a good place to eat they say either Oma's or Ratskellers. It seems they are after your money and nothing else!

Also - the hotel seems to put signs up saying to please be quiet in the halls, which is nice. But beware that kids run up and down the halls at all hours of the day, and that drunk people from the bar talk loud at night.

Overall the Lodge is great if you have small children, but beware that as a parent, you will waste alot of money with the arcade and food.

I would most likely return, this hotel is a nice place to stay, but it's nothing special.

Happy Traveling Everyone!!

MichiganTraveler52

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MichiganTraveler52
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Greetings MichiganTraveler52:

I recently learned that I have the ability to go back easily and find previous reviews on this site and still reply to them. So my apologies for the delay, but I wanted to thank you for your 2010 review of the Bavarian Inn Lodge on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your lengthy and details & insights regarding your stay. I am sorry that you had challenges and disappointments. I am happy to report that we continue to make constant improvements in the public and guestroom aspects of the hotel. There is no mattress in the hotel that existed back in 2010. They have all been replaced. We have some foam mattresses and some pillow top mattresses. If you dislike one of those styles of mattress you can ask the reservationist to assign you a room # with the other type!

We have soft & firm pillows (4 total) on every bed. Have 68 channels of TV with 24 High HD; and have added two water slides. We are still the longest water park hours of any hotel in Michigan as I believe all of them close at 10 pm - not 11 or midnight. Plus we have added CO2 cleaning systems to all pools and whirlpools PLUS UV (Ultra Violet) light systems to all pools. This minimizes the demand of the chlorine systems and we have determined we don't need to close the pools from 11 - 1:30pm any longer.

I hope you will reconsider a visit to the Lodge and we always appreciate all feedback!

Thanks again!

Detroit/Sterling Heights, MI
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Recently we had an extremely negative visit at the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I emailed the lodge and never got a reply. I wrote about our experience here.

Today I got a nice letter from Jim Engel apologizing for everything. He even sent coupons for Sunday Brunch.

Just wanted to give the Bavarian Inn Lodge credit, where credit is due.

The place is beautiful, I appreciate his kindness. I wish hotels could run backround checks on guests when they make reservations to protect patrons from a night like we had.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Burbary,

I recently learned that I have the ability to go back easily and find previous reviews on this site and still reply to them. So my apologies for the delay, but I wanted to thank you for your 2010 RE-review of the Bavarian Inn Lodge on Trip Advisor.

Your welcome for my follow up that you commented on and I hope you are considering a return visit. We now have water slides (2) and make continuous upgrades to the guestrooms.

Thanks again for going back to the site to recognize our attempts to recover your business!

With Sincere Appreciation,

Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Our trip consisted of 4 families meeting for a vacation! Great time, a little crowded, after kids went to bed couldn't get a seat in the bar because of off duty resort help.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Thanks so much for bringing your entire clan here. We enjoy hundreds of families visiting who have 2-5 rooms gather together in Frankenmuth for mini-reunions. At first I was bewildered by your concern of the crowd in the Lounge being caused by off-duty staff. Then I realized you were visiting during our Frankenmuth Bavarian Festival. This is a time when it is common that many guests visit Frankenmuth and wear their Bavarian / German clothing. Much like Oktoberfest. So those guests were likely other hotel patrons.

The Lodge does have a second lounge in the Fun Center called the Ratskeller. This lounge would not have likely been overcrowded. I am sorry if no one referred you there.

There are many special weekend celebrations and festivals that cause pockets of crowdedness, but overall in the Michigan economy these are limited within the entire scope of a year!

Thanks for visiting and I hope you can return again soon!

Jim Engel, GM
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Overall, the hotel rooms need major renovationg. Old furniture and decor (80's). The housekeeping was OK - was disappointed with hairs and dirty in bath (which by the way in a standard room is very very small).
PROS: location, service, pools and waterpark for kids excellent
CONS: outdated decor in rooms, food at restaurant is VERY average - recommend eatting elsewhere in town, attracts families and kids so a bit noisy (but rooms are well insulated)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear TD397:

Thank you for your stay at the Bavarian Inn Lodge in 2010. I recently learned that I can go back and respond to guests from stays a long time ago--- my apologies for not responding sooner. WE have made significant improvements to the Bavarian Inn Lodge since you last stayed. I hope you would reconsider a visit with new beds, 4 pillow system with firm and soft pillows on all beds, New HD televisions and 67 channels of broadcast tv. We still have a bavarian theme but have done a LOT to add wow to the Lodge.

Thanks for your insights and we hope for an opportunity to WOW you!

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!