“nice time, nice place, nice people”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Big Rapids
“nice time, nice place, nice people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2006

Had a wonderful time, kids 9 - 17 even enjoyed it!
Shuttle to mainstreet-helpful.

Stayed December 2005
3 Thank SherinSaginaw
jimengel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2007
So glad you enjoyed our shuttle service. We also recognize that it is difficult to build facilities that keep 4, 9 AND 17 year old guests happy and occupied. Thanks for the positive affirmation that we are doing things right!

Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2006

I was disappointed with the whole ambience, and would agree with other posts re overpriced... It was a Motel type, out-dated decor room we were allocated. The pools were FREEZING, complete with kids screaming and incessant water guns spraying COLD water. There were not enough chairs around the pool to even put clothes/ towels on. Basically this place had too many kids, and not enough space to contain them. The other amenities were expensive too. $15.00 for 3 of us to play miniture golf??? The bar in the evening was smoky....so we just went back to the room. Food... well we didn't bother, we went out instead!

Would say it was OK, if I had paid half price, however we were looking for something a bit special...
Sorry guys, you are not providing that.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay. I am sorry for the problems you experienced and clearly there was a mechanical issue that cause more then one pool to be cold. We keep all pools at 83 degrees and whirlpools at about 102 due to younger guests being in them. If the pools are any colder then that it is due to adding city water (at cold temperatures) after a guest accident or if chemical levels begin to get out of whack.

Every pool and whirlpool is checked weekly for water quality by the Saginaw County Health Department and the pools can be shut down if there are just ONE of a myriad of problems that could happen. I am happy to report our record with the Health Department is exceptional.

That said, cold water is not acceptable and I apologize for that problem. There are significant chairs around the pool but we recently added tables as well as most guests don't sit in the chairs, they use them as a holding place for their "stuff". We continue to analyze this situation.

It sounds like the night of your stay had an excessive number of children. These types of nights, in 2007 only happen on perhaps 20 dates out of 365. If you ever consider returning we can help you shy away from dates with significant numbers of children in house. They are predictable based on school schedules and holidays.

Jim Engel, Bavarian Inn Lodge
Muskegon,Mi.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2005

We just had a stay at the Lodge again. The place was full or nearly full. The service was way above the standard and the staff was wonderful, as always. The new fun center was very cool and there were alot of adults enjoying it along with the kids.
Oma`s Restaurant was great and the room, king river view... was spotless. Thank you Bavarian Inn Lodge for a great weekend again.

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank GAH
Thank you for the kind comments on your stay. We appreciate our housekeeping department and their hard work in keeping rooms clean and crisp day after day. We will continue to work hard to make your future stays consistent with this one!

Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer
Bavarian Inn Lodge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

Our family has been staying at the Bavarian Inn Lodge since 2000. We enjoy it because all of the ammenities you can enjoy are under one roof. Each of my children enjoy a different pool for a different reason so we have to rotate back and forth a lot. (There are 5 pools - the kids get to use 4 of them as one is adult only). My oldest duaghter likes the pool that has a current in it that pulls you around. My son likes the waterfall pool to play under the waterfall that is probably 15 feet high. My youngest daughter likes the kiddie pool that has these geyser things that she tries to step on with her feet. We all play together in the big olympic sizish pool to play marco-polo and monster in the pool type games. There are 2 whirlpools in the fun center area and the kids like to get hot in them and then jump back in the other pools for a rush. Those who have rated the hotel bad because of pool temperatures must have had a fluke day. We have always had warm pool water temperatures.

There is this two story childrens village that my youngest could play in for days upon end. Lots of hands on toys in it and a slide from the 2nd story. Its free just like the pools are. You pay for the miniature golf (which looks like your in the Alpine mountains) - but I have never seen any hotel I visited with miniature golf that gives you FREE miniature golf - It just doesn't happen! On weekdays this place is pretty quiet and peaceful. It is more active on weekends with the hotel full of families but that is part of the fun - being around a lot of other families having fun. (Called security once because of noise and they stopped it)

We like that they have 2 restaurants because the Ratskeller in the fun center is fast and convenient with a cafeteria style menu. Oma's restaurant has waitress service with a bigger variety of hot meals but you can just get oatmeal and fruit if you want too.

We have always liked the rooms we have had. The housekeepers are the friendliest and the decor is more like Germany (I've been there before). The doors have names on them and that name is of a local family and their history of the ancestor that came over from Germany - cool if your a history buff.

We like to stay at hotels with water park stuff. This hotel is especially great for younger kids. My kids are still spooked of waterslides as we found out when we went to Great Wolfe Lodge. This hotel is more pricey then a plain Holiday Inn with one pool but, duh... they have FIVE of them here. They installed all new video games since the last time we were here and the older kids go bonkers because they get a lot more tickets then at any other place we go.

We have made the Lodge a family tradition and even entered pictures in their annual photo contest - hope to win a free stay out of the deal! We joined their Perks club and we basically get 10% back for the next visit and we don't wait in lines at their big restaurant because we are members.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank Nancy E
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2015
Dear Nancy E.,

I learned recently that I can reach way back into the archives of TripAdvisor and thanks previous reviewers of the Bavarian Inn Lodge. So... Thank You!

Thanks for sharing what each of your children enjoy most at the Lodge Nancy. We are thrilled that you all had special memories (11 years ago...) and hope you have had an opportunity to visit us again since then. If not, we have waterslides now. I am sure your older children will still have a blast!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

Let me start by saying that I never write reviews but always consult trip advisor before visiting a place. We went to Frankenmuth for a wedding, not on our own accord.
My negative experience began with when I called to make the reservation. A reservation is a holding of a room on a credit card NOT paying in full for the room at the time of reservation. They failed to tell me that my card would be charged at that very moment and were very vague about it when I inquired. Upon arrival I was asked to put down a credit card for any charges made to the room. Once again they DID NOT inform me that they would be taking money out of my account during this transaction. It was only when I came home and checked my account that I realized that they held 60 dollars out of my account. I can certainly afford this 60 dollars- but my irritation comes from the fact that this is just a bad business practice- particularly from an organization that touts themselves as being such a family run organization and customer oriented.
Now onto the actual facility. Tacky would be the only way I can describe this place. The food at the actual wedding was ok but the next morning we went to breafast and the food was downright horrible. The breakfast buffet made dennys or shoneys look like a 5 star buffet. The gravy was that greenish yellow that you were afraid of as a child.
In a nutshell, do not go unless you enjoy screaming childen, incredibly overpriced rooms that mirror Motel 6 (this is not a slam on Motel 6) and pseudo Bavarian culture being shoved down your throat.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I am very sorry that this guest had any surprises as it relates to use of their debit card. It is clear by the comments made that the had "charging privileges" to charge to their room and they chose a debit card to be on account at the front desk. In both the debit and credit card world, an "authorization" of your account sets aside a specified value, just in case a charge may occur during the guest stay. No funds ever leave the credit or debit card account and come to the Hotel, but they can be set aside for up to 10 days. That policy is at the discretion of the card issuing bank or company - not at the hotel company. No money is transferred to the hotel until the guest checks out.

My apologies regarding it being unclear that we request an advance deposit. That should not have been a surprise. This is done in most destination resorts to assure the guest is coming. As guests always remember to cancel when they have an advance deposit being refunded. They commonly forget to cancel when they have a credit card guarantee and they expect you to credit them if they forget - making for a short term relationship with the guest...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2005

I have enjoyed the Bavarian Inn for many years as an attendee of the annual Autofest and several other times for seminars or just shopping trips.
The staff is always friendly and helpful no matter how many guests need attention. Details of my preferences are retained so my next visit is even more pleasurable, such as, I need an extra pillow in my room. We enjoy the variety of food and beverages available to us. The party in the lounge with Marco is always a fun way to end the day and moving the party outside for the car show was a great idea! Andrea in reservations deserves an award for her patience & helpfulness. Looking forward to many more visits!

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2015
Dear Trip Advisor Member (2005):

I learned recently that I can respond to reviews going "way back" in history on Trip Advisor. So my apology for responding 10 years later!

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2005! So glad we have been able to serve you during many AutoFests in fall and other trips other times of year! I hope you continue to enjoy Frankenmuth and the Bavarian Inn Lodge! We would love to serve your family for YEARS to come!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2005

A trip to Frankenmuth and a stay at the Bavarian Inn Lodge is the ultimate stress release. My wife and I stay here for a few days at least once a year when we need to get away from it all. The facilities are kept in excellent shape and they are always making improvements. The hotel staff is top notch. Plenty of small shops within walking distance that are not your typical tourist traps and, of course, there's always Bronners. Your stay must inculde at least two nights so you can try the chicken dinners at both the Bavarian Inn Restaurant and Zhenders. The french toast at Oma's is a must for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Trip Advisor Member (2005):

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2005! So glad we helped you relieve stress back in 2005. I hope we have been able to do so since than too! Give us a progress report if you have had an opportunity to visit since!?

Thank you for your kind words. You complimented our French Toast back then and we continue to get compliments yet today... 10 years later! We hope to still be serving your family for years!

On Behalf of the ENTIRE Bavarian Inn Lodge Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!