“Great getaway”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Toledo, Ohio
“Great getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Go up several times a year, great getaway. I've never had a bad experience there in my 15+ visits.Courteous staff, well kept rooms, always something for the kids to do. You never have to leave the place if you don't want to.The Ratskeller, pools and the arcade are top notch. It was unfortunate that one of the slides was not operational, but I was informed of this when I booked my room.

Room Tip: If you're looking for peace and quiet, don't book a room near the Fun Center, alot of kids h...
1 Thank axlework
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Axlework,

Thank you so much for sharing your great experiences with us at the Lodge here on TripAdvisor. We are blessed to have you as an Ambassador and appreciate deeply your loyalty! Thanks for making the trek up from Ohio to take in the Lodge and our small city of Frankenmuth.

We look forward to your next return!

Jim Engel, C.O.O. - Serving guests at Bavarian Inn for 36 years-
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited Frankenmuth as part of a bus tour. While it was a nice stopover, frankly Frankenmuth is not a place I'd have chosen to visit on my own. The town seeks to preserve a Germanic feel which is part of it's heritage. And it is home to a popular Christmas shop. However, it really is not a must see destination..
The Bavarian Inn Lodge is a large convention style facility and is associated with the smaller Bavarian Inn located in the center of town. Rooms are small but well furnished. The restaurant in the hotel is small, and when several bus loads of tourists are there, it is very crowded. The food is just adequate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Soccer Man,

Thank you very much for your review title... glad you thought our town was cute and thank you for your compliments on the hotel. I am very sorry though to learn that your overall stay with the group in our community was a disappointment. I can agree that we are perhaps not a must-see destination for some, but we are proud to host about 3 million visitor's a year in Michigan, ranking #1 year round for visitors of any community in Michigan.

We at the Lodge do enjoy sharing our southern German heritage through stories and via our thematic approach to our facilities, our costuming and our architecture.

I would agree, when we have high occupancy in the hotel, prime breakfast time can be rather crowded but there is virtually never a wait and between Oma's restaurant and the Lorelei Lounge used for overflow we can seat over 200 guests for breakfast on any given morning.

Thank you for sharing your detailed evaluation. We always strive to improve and take to heart everything we learn.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. - "36th Year of Service to Bavarian Inn Guests"
Lake Orion, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I will never visit this hotel again. First, we arrived to learn that one of the two slides was broken, which was NOT the case when I booked the room. The room was not ready when we arrived so we had to drag all our luggage around because the kids really wanted to go to the pool. The pools were freezing and so was one of the two hot tubs. No staff members anywhere to ask why the pools were this condition. The room was ok, nasty comforter on the beds though. The pool towels were a joke....tiny, hard, falling apart. My average sized 8 yr old needed three of them to cover herself. The entire hotel is dark and dingy. So much chlorine in the pools and air that my 5 yr old son couldn't even swim because he would cough uncontrollably. I have never written a review before, but felt compelled to do so to spare others the huge disappointment we felt. Sooo disappointed. Will never return.

Room Tip: Do not go here!!
7 Thank Jennifer0824
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jennifer:

My sincere apology for your disappointment in your recent stay. Our innertube slide did in fact open just before Thanksgiving and we began to have mechanical issues with the pump of the new slide within 5 weeks of that date. I am so sorry that this was not communicated to you. I have not been able to determine who you are since this site is anonymous so I am not sure of your booking date. We did email every guest reserved for January once we realized (about Jan. 5th) that we would be closing down that slide. I suspect you did not receive that email. We also phoned every guest who did not provide an email address.

I am sorry their was a challenge with your comforter and the size of the pool towels. We use a 39" X 18" standard pool towel with a dark blue striped fabric down the middle for all pool towels. We own over 8,000 of them. I am not sure if a wrong hand towel was on a rack perhaps? I am a bit stumped but suspect something was wrong with the inventory at that time. I reviewed a rack of towels pool-side this morning and all are clean, bright with no wear or tear. I will work with housekeeping to study if some towels have not been pulled that are wearing, as this is standard policy.

Each of the pools have separate heaters and chemical controls throughout the hotels. I suspect that if you felt the impact on your eyes or lungs of one pool or whirlpool being harsh and irritating that it may have lingered with you as you traveled to others. Regardless, we are taking this complaint very seriously and hope to hear from you directly to make this up to you. We test water quality in every pool / whirlpool environment many times a day 7 days a week to keep chemicals in balance. The bather load has a huge impact on the air quality. We continue to work on studying and adjusting daily to combat these issues and will work harder to make this not repeat in the future.

I hope you will reconsider visiting us again as this is not our norm.

Northeast Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

First of all, I will start by saying that we stayed the Sunday night before MLK day. We thought we were being pretty smart for staying a Sunday in January, (and not during Snowfest) but I guess others had the same idea because the place was packed. You can't really fault a hotel for being popular, but you can fault them for the sickening chlorine levels in the pools and in the air. Obviously, chlorine is necessary, and I have read all of the comments about more people = more gasses emitted, but if they already know that a sold out hotel equals toxic air quality then they have a ventilation problem and not a pool problem. I'm assuming that the staff already knows they have a ventilation problem because they had the door open with a fan next to the water slides and the temperature was 14 degrees out! It was so cold in there that fully dressed people watching their kids swim we're shivering. I understand that the waterfall pool is tucked in a little corner and it may be harder to ventilate, but the new waterslide area is brand new and they are opening a door?
Also, you could only sit in the hot tub for about 3 minutes because the churning water was emitting so much gas that your eyes start tearing. One member of our party wasn't even swimming and her eyes were all red just from being in the Fun Center. It's too bad because overall I like the layout, the theme, and the overall quaintness of the Inn, but to lay awake half the night listening to my daughter wheezing and coughing, it just isn't worth it.

5 Thank shmeeb
Dear Schmeeb:

I am so very sorry for the problems you experienced during your recent stay. Yes, we were certainly aware that we are having some mechanical issues with our brand new systems. Too often, it seems it takes a period of time to balance, adjust and even re-engineer new equipment. On the date of your stay I absolutely agree we were trying options to balance the ventilation and work on the water chemicals. I am perplexed on the chloromine odors from the hot tub. I do know that we had heavy bather loads, but the readings we have recorded (taken 6 times a since we installed slides) are not outside of normal levels. I believe you did experience this.

Just so you know, to combat the heavier bather load that we are experiencing we have invested an additional $35,000 / pool and whirlpool to install a Ultra Violet Light system that is used to kill bacteria. This system is layered on top of the Chlorine system and therefore minimizes (drastically) the potential for chloromine gases to irritate guests eyes and sinuses. Five of our Nine systems are installed and the other equipment just arrived and is being scheduled for installation currently.

Now I believe that Mr. Kim Whalen, our Front Desk Manager has already connected with you. Since this site is anonymous, I am not 100?% positive though. We certainly want to make this up to you and prove this is not normal for the Lodge.

Respectfully Submitted,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel and everything was great. The only negative experience we had was at check-in the key machine was not working which is hard to blame on the staff of the hotel. It seems as if the entire staff really went out of their way to make sure our stay was very enjoyable and they definitely succeeded. Looking forward to our next stay at lodge.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Familytraveler419
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Family Traveler,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Lodge. We are pleased that you had a great stay. I clearly recall the key card system failure and am so sorry that there were delays in getting you properly registered with working keys. This was the first time the system failed in making keys in several years. It is completely resolved again. We so look forward to serving you and your family again soon!

Massillon, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge in Frankenmuth in January our experience was wonderful. I will not hesitate to share my experience with friends and family. Everyone was so nice and made sure our stay was the best that I could have every had.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Whirlpool Tower Suite and was the best room I could have ever asked for.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Grace K
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Grace K.,

Thank you so much for staying with us at this quieter time of year. We so appreciate your business and your kind words. We appreciate your offer to be an Ambassador for us with your family and friends!

Happy New Year!

Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

My sister and I met at the Bavarian Inn for a two day get away, We travel a lot together and have stayed in many hotels. The Inn is very quaint, the grounds were decorated for Christmas very nice. The room were the cleanest, sheets were white-white and crisp. Food at the Inn was good the sauerkraut was really good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rose21530
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Rose,

Thank you for sharing some peaceful time with us at the Lodge after the Holidays! So glad you and your sister enjoyed your stay and the decor. We are just switching over to Chinese New Year decor' right now! So glad you enjoyed Dorothy Zehnder's 60 year old sauerkraut recipe. I can tell you one secret in it that might surprise you... "chicken gravy". Can't say anymore!

Thank you for your loyalty and Happy New Year!

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!