“Nice but . . . expensive and loud!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Dekalb Cty
“Nice but . . . expensive and loud!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed here 3/21 and 3/22/08.

The hotel is very spacious and we had a suite which was great but pricey $. This was the only option available to us to have a sofa sleeper, so we spent the extra for comfort while sleeping. Speaking of sleeping, it was quite a loud hotel. We were awakened several times during the night by people or kids walking or running down the hall and we weren't even in a high-traffic area. DS even commented on the amount of kids running down the hall without us saying anything--I guess he noticed the lack of respect for others, since we always make it a point of how he should act in a hotel--it's not a playground.

The hotel is an older building with additions, which they did a great job of mixing in the same architectural style. The room was clean and the staff was pleasant. This is a great place for people with LITTLE kids and they were everywhere. DS, 13, is a teen and wasn't thrilled about the kids pool because it was so crowded and LOUD--however, he would have loved the adult pool that was barely used (and maybe should be changed as another family option). Instead of going to the pool we played some mini gold and spent some time in the gaming area. But be forewarned there is Karaoke for kids in the eating area off the gaming area. I think it's great that kids can get up there and show there talent, but man, turn the speakers down -- it was more like nails on a chalkboard than entertainment.

I maybe be coming across as sounding a little grumpy about this place, but after spending more $ for this place for 2 days as we did for the 3 days at a Dearborn Hampton Inn, where we actually got to swim and sleep uninterrupted and where we got 3 passes to the Ford Rouge Tour and 3 passes to the Henry Ford Musueum - I feel like I got ripped off.

Next time we are in Frankenmuth, we will stay at a hotel chains, maybe even in Birch Run and come in for the day, enjoy the sights and then take the short drive back to our hotel to swim and sleep peacefully. I'm sure we'll even stop back here at the Bavarian Inn for a meal and to play some games and possibly indoor mini golf if it's winter.

We stayed here for the atmosphere and to be honest, it wasn't worth the extra $ to us and lack of sleep. Next time if we do want to be surrounded by kids at the pool, we'll get a day pass to Zehnders Water Park and our wallet will still be ahead.

I guess I expected more for my money.

• Liked — Staff attentiveness
  • Disliked — Older facility, no sound barrier from hallways, overcrowded pool area, Karaoke too loud
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, June 14, 2008
Thank you for sharing your sincere opinions of your March 2008 experience with the Lodge. Thank you for your compliements on the architecture and ambiance of the facility as well. You stated we are an older facility... well we are 21 years old, but we designed the Lodge to look and feel like a bavarian hotel. Most of which are 150 - 300 years old in Germany! So we think we are still quite young!

We are in a perpetual remodeling mode, investing over one million dollars each year in new beds, carpeting or mechanical equipment that is aging or in need of upgrades. We try hard to be as "green" as possible and use modern technology to be efficient while looking old world.

I'm sorry that you had problems with disrespectful children. On busy times with lots of families (which is less then 15% of the year actually) we gear up on management floating in the hallways to deal with children who are left unattended. As mentioned, this is not a nightly or even weekly problem. But we are staffed to assist when guests are disrespectful in hallways. Please don't hesitate to contact the Front Desk of ANY hotel when you have these issues. We will warn guests and ultimately evict them if it persists. This has happened on rare occassion.

Regarding our rates. Suites and Mini-suites take more space, take longer to clean (usually cleaning up after more people in the room) and are in higher demand. It is a true fact that for these reasons. Suites are more expensive. Our suites usually run $100 - $150 LESS then other family resorts such as Great Wolf Lodge. Anticipating a suite for $80 or $90 is not going to reasonably happen in any family hotel. Plesae remember too, your room rate includes use of many other ammenities that come with significant cost such as five indoor pools, 3 whirlpools, nightly entertainment, etc.

I realize every guest has different budgets, different expectations for their dollar spent. I am sorry we did not reach yours but still thank you for a very favorable rating on Trip Advisor. Rates really fluctuate though, on slow dates and in the off-season, rooms are commonly available way under $100. for a family of four.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. / General Manager
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,329)
Kitchener
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

Our family (2 adults and 1 child - 2 yrs old) and another family (2 adults, 1 kid 6 yrs and 1 kid 3 yrs old) recently stayed at the Bavarian Inn during the Ontario March break - Mar 12 - 14.

We booked a month or so in advance - through calling Bavarian directly. We asked for adjoining rooms and took the riverview.

Our cost for 2 nites was $255. We did not purchase any extra packages.

One thing when you book - you pay for your first night in advance on your credit card.

The Inn is very rustic and blends right in with Frankenmuth.

If you are looking for the feel of super modern ie. Westin/Marriott - this would not be a good choice.

The rooms are practical and comfortable. We had 2 double beds very comfortable. Bathroom functional a bit small. Shower water pressure was very poor. A small fridge. No microwave. Colour cable tv.

The pools were great - for all of us. The kids pools - 3 of them plus a whirlpool were great - the kids were waterlogged and loved it. The Waterfall pool and whirlpool were nice too. Water temperatures in all the pools were fine in the 80's. Very clean water - no overpowered by chlorine either.

The kids play area - again a hit with the kids.

Lots of video games - our kids did not partake.

Putt Putt golf - fun diversion for the kids - $4.50/adult.

Breakfast at Oma's - fine - cheap $8.95 for adult all you can. Fruits/scrambled eggs/pancakes/biscuits/tater tots. Ordering off menu cheap as well. Kids under 4 eat buffet for free. Kids 4 and older $5.95.

Loralei lounge - it was ok - we went for drinks. The entertainer was kind of dry. Not sure why this is the only spot at the Inn you can smoke - kind of ruins it.

Dinner - we ate at Zehnders one nite - $20 for essentially all you can eat white meat chicken dinner - it was quite good. The kids enjoyed their eats as well.

We ate one nite at the Bavarian Inn proper - it was good - although we didn't think it was quite as nice as Zehnders across the road.

We picked the Bavarian Inn - based upon price and reviews on here. We were not dissappointed a great spot for kids that aren't quite ready for water slides n such.

We definately would go back - and also recommend to others.

Staff were very friendly, rooms and the Inn were very, very clean.

No complaints at all.

It is close to the downtown Frankenmuth section and only 10 minutes to Birch Run Outlet Mall.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank linesman10
Thanks for your kind words & we are so happy that all the generations involved in the stay had a good time together. We try to offer the right variety of activities and fun so grandparents, parents and children can all spend time together.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the particular entertainer we had on the evening you were here. Marko, our year round, five night-a-week entertainer is very engaging and I recieve so many compliments on him, I have to presume it was someone else. Although we have only 3 others who rotate two nights a week, and they too are usually a lot of fun. So I'm sorry that is not what you experienced.

We hope you consider the Lodge as a family tradition to enjoy like so many other guests have.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. / General Manager
Bavarian Inn Lodge - Frankenmuth
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

We heard great reviews from our friends who stayed there previously. The landscaping around the hotel was magnificent with colorful flowers and well groomed grass. It was truly a Bavarian retreat with alot of details in the room although my girls didn't feel comfortable with old black and white photos hanging on the walls of the room. We booked two rooms for three nights, our friends decided to join our vacation. Checking in took FOREVER! The staff there were friendly, but front desk moved like turtles. When we checked out, we were charged $25.00 more than our friends! So we complained and they corrected it right away. Our room faced an outdoor dance hall that played loud music.... I kinda liked it. The pools were fabulous, but we had to walk a short distance to get to one of them. The beds were okay. We ate at the restaurant in the main floor.... their food was GREAT! I highly recommend their pizza. We also walked to Zehnders resturant. Pricey but great quality food. Overall, I would definitely return.

One problem I did find was trying to get a midnight snack at a fast food joint. The town closes so early. So it was impossible to find something to eat (other than at the bars or pubs).

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Need more lighting. The rooms are quite dim.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay. You posted your comments in February but raved about outdoor entertainment and the grounds being beautiful so I must presume you stayed in the summer season.

Regarding your comment of a longer walk to one of our indoor pools... we built the Lodge in five seperate expansions over 21 years and each time we added more ammenities and "things to do" for guests to enjoy. Based on your statements our waterfall pool would have been the long walk from your room. The good news is that we build the Lodge so you never have to go outdoors to get to any public area. Everything is under one roof - athough we are the largest Bavarian theme hotel outside Germany &perhaps within germany too!

Midnight snacks "were" a challenge till May of 2008. The number of people wanting late night food in town has been so slight that no restaurant can justify the labor and costs to operate for nominal sales. We recently came up with a cold food snack menu that is available in a refrigerated unit at our front desk so food is available all-night-long. This will help next time you visit!

Thanks again for your kind remarks.

Jim Engel C.O.O. / General Manager
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed for one night mid-week for a mini-getaway. Although we were aware of this hotel being totally children/family oriented, we chose the Bavarian Inn because their refurbished whirlpool suites seemed to be the nicest rooms in Frankenmuth. It was a little high in price at $230 per night, but it was our anniversary and we wanted a great room. Check in was pleasant. The two women at registration were friendly and efficient. Everyone we encountered from housekeeping was very friendly. We were very pleased with our room; a king whirlpool suite on the fourth floor of the tower section. Newly done bathroom was very good with LARGE two-person jacuzzi with colored light, heat and bubble controls. We loved the top and side spray separate glass shower. Pillow top mattress was comfortable and pillows were good. Being a Tuesday, we had the adult pool to ourselves which was great.

We were hoping to have a drink by the fireplace in the lounge before dinner. It was filled with long tables of families. The Chinese New Year music playing was quite loud. One waitress was serving customers, the bartender saw us, but ignored us, and less than one foot from our table a waitress was standing at the bar looking at pictures. We waited 15 minutes with no service and decided to just go and have dinner. I would strongly suggest that they change the lounge into a lounge - adults only. Oma's was much more quiet, service was good, but the food was just okay. I love fried chicken and thought it would be wonderful, but it was pretty bland.

The next morning, we were offered another night for only $79 - a huge discount - but we both had to return to work. I wish we were offered that rate for our next stay.

Pros: Whirlpool suite bathroom, view from balcony, adult pool.

Cons: Price, on-site food, lounge LACK OF SERVICE.

Suggestions: Adding robes and a microwave in the suites would be good. Seems they are trying to attract couples with the improvements to the suites, but they need to continue with that in mind and switch the lounge to adults-only to gain (and keep) a wider range of clientele. Family atmosphere is great, but a bar should be a bar. Alcohol is available for parents at both the sit down restaurant and the cafeteria.

Great job on refurbishing the suite bathrooms. It was my favorite part of our stay.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind remarks regarding the remodeling of the Whirlpool Suites. I have shared your comments with the owners.

I am sorry to hear that you recieved sub-standard service in our Lorelei Lounge. There is never any excuse for this. I continue to work with our Managers and share this type of experience with the staff to re-enforce that we are here to create enjoyable experiences for each guest. Waiting for service and not receiving it, goes against everything we believe in. Again, I'm sorry and we will work hard to avoid this from happening in the future.

I'm sorry that the pricing of our suites was a concern for you. Pricing on all rooms have risen becasue operating costs for hotels (entire industry - including us) is on the rise.

We do competition analysis and are competitive with other like services. In many cases we are significantly lower. Profitability is not easy in this economy but we know disposable income isn't easy either. We will always strive to offer the best value possible for the experience given. Thanks again for sharing your 3rd anniversary with us at the Lodge.

Jim Engel, C.O.O. & General Manager
Bavarian Inn Lodge - Frankenmuth
Sterling Heights, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

Paying $20.00 to become a Perks Member, I received an email from the Lodge stating a discount price for the month of February and March for Perk Members only. So I reserved a room for a mini suite. because I was informed that all their family suites were booked. But while staying there, I did not see one family that had 6 or 7 people in their party. I stayed with my sister and her children. Upon signing in I was charged $12.00 extra for a 10 month old baby. She had brought all necessary things for the baby included her own crib and bottled water. I spoke to the manager, who was rude and said that was their policy. Why would a hotel charge and extra amount for a baby that does not use any thing extra. It should be at least a courtesy for any hotel to not charge for babies. So that problem wasn't solved. While talking to others I found out that the price I paid for being a Perks member was the same price that they had gotten from some coupon in the newspaper. So here I went and paid the extra money to be a Perks Member, where as I could have saved the money and used a coupon. By the way the Zehnders resturant offers a reward card too and theirs is FREE. They also offer more then the PAID FOR PERKS CLUB. Though our room was sufficient but needs updating, we were kept up all night by being booked next to a family who thought that screaming all night was not a problem to others. The Lodge was not full because of the storm, wouldn't it be logical for them to book people either across from each other or every other room. When we said something to the morning manager. He just kept apologizing and acted like...WHAT do you want me to do about it. He said we could have called to complain, but we would have to call every 10 minutes because most people would be quiet for awhile, just to go back to making noise again. Did he actually think that one phone call would make the people stop. Did he really expect us to change rooms at 12 am with 4 kids sleeping. So number 3, nothing was done again. Since there was a snow storm they had plowed the parking lot. They plowed the snow but the plowed had pinned the van into our parking spot. We asked that they try to removed the mound they had made so that we could leave. We got the usual response...We'll get to it. So we had to kick and use our scraper to get the snow out. We also had to push the van out of the spot. No one around to help out. and front desk was not helpful...AGAIN. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in this place. They use to be so accommodating and helpful.. But they have turned into what I try to avoid when traveling. I must say the resturant was very good,

• Liked — It was very clean
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank patella810
jimengel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, March 23, 2008
I am very sorry for your lack of responsiveness from management. I am sorry that we did not meet your exact and specific needs.

In investigating the records I have, we did in fact sell every Family Suite. This was part of a school break week and we sold 307 of our 360 guestrooms that night. With 85% occupancy we cannot scatter guests the way you suggest. However, we do have a formal program for responding to noise complaints. We go to the room in question, confirm that we have the correct room by hearing the noise ourselves and we speak to the guest. We explain that other guests are attempting to sleep and we will break up any parties if they exist at that time. Then we let them know that if we have to return, it will begin the eviction process. We also ask the guest who brings this to our attention to let us know (when they call) that if the problem re-occurs, to call zero immediatley and report to our night audit team. Eviction is the final alternative. The day after, it is difficult to resolve the issue. We are very successful at solving it when it happens.

Regarding the 5th person charge. We never charge for a 3rd or 4th guest. Most of our competitors do so. Usually the 5th guest charge includes a crib or rollaway and I would agree since you needed nothing, my staff could have been more flexible. We store over 60 rollaways and 25 cribs because most guests do need them. I am sorry they did not offer you flexibility.

I am confused on your statement of $20.00 to join the Perks club. It is $10.00 to join (never $20.) and you recieve a free chicken dinner in the month of your birthday as well as the month of your spouses birthday within this price.) Also, you recieve a $20 dollar certificate right after you spend $200 anywhere within Bavarian Inn Restaurant and Lodge. Zehnders, you need to have 10 seperate transactions with them before being elegible for a certificate. Over 17,000 families feel there is value in this program, I am sorry that it didn't feel this way to you.

Regarding a coupon in a paper, I beleive the only reason your rate would match that rate is due to the 5th person charge. We do keep the perks specials lower then published rates.

Regarding the snow storm, I am not certain of the time of morning you were requesting to be shoveled out. We had over 20 employees from the night before sleep in the hotel because they could not safely get home and they then helped the next morning because most employees could not get here early due to lack of plows in mid-Michigan. This storm produced record 30 year high snow and shut down everything. I know that by 11am I had 5 people shoveling out cars along with our folks trying to plow snow but having challenges because there was nowhere to put it because most every parking spot in the front 80% of lot was full of cars. We had to hire a pay-loader to haul it away in dump trucks when we could get our turn two days later because of the volume of snow.

Clearly, this was a highly unusual situation.

I am very sorry for these circumstances and rest assured we are the same leadership for 20 years. We will try to earn your business back as we do with thousands of other families every month.

Thank you for your Candor!

Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer
Clinton Twp. MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

Traveled 1 hr to BI for one night on a MON, feb 9, with my wife and 2 girls, age 5 and 1. REAL early check-in was granted. We r perks members and go a couple times a year. Had a revamped whirlpool suite, very nice. Place was dead, no complaints, Love the family fun area, dinner at the Inn was as well as can be expected with 2 small girls, breakfast at Oma was very good, Everyone was very nice EXCEPT a front desk lady who was sarcastic and condescending when I merely inquired about a second night at cheaper than their $79 offer (I had the same room for $59 last March for a second night). When I approached the 2nd time to try the manager, she actually referred to me as the "$59 man". Previous poster griping about the toddler pool was correct .. If your under two, you're gonna turn blue. Yes we stayed the second night at $79. They need more newspapers in the am and they need more "deal or no deal " machines, my wife and 5 yr. old had a great time on them. We shall return, being that our 5 yr old has come to look forward to these trips and that it is a good situation, especially in the winter

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank damfran
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2015
Dear DamFran (2008):

I learned recently that I can respond to reviews going "way back" in history on Trip Advisor. So my apology for responding 8 years later!

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2008! So pleased we were a good value for your young family back then. I hope you are still visiting and having fun. You know, we still have Deal or No Deal games! We hope for the opportunity to continue to serve your family for years to come!

With Sincere Appreciation,

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
On Behalf of the ENTIRE Bavarian Inn Lodge Team
Hemlock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

This place was great for families! Lots to do, we never even left the resort. Only there one night, but so much fun stuff going on that we were entertained the entire time.

Bavarian Inn is very clean, kept up nice, looks great. Staff was very friendly. We were not worried at all about the things our 2-1/2 year old was touching or around.

Lots of fun games for him to play, 2 story play house for the little ones, great kiddie pools. Watch out for the "older" kids who come into the kiddie pools. They tend to spray the water guns a bit too much, and right in our faces. But the staff responded very quickly and nicely to our one and only complaint.

TIP-free popcorn in the Lorelei Lounge, but you have to pay for it in the Ratskeller.

You can buy drinks (coffee, beer, wine, pop, etc.) and walk around the entire place with it. It's very comfortable, very fun. We will definitely go back again and we only live 45 minutes away!

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness of staff, great stuff to do for young kids
  • Disliked — Spray guns in the smaller children's pools.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank hemlockmommy
Dear Hemlock Mommy (2008):

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2008! So pleased to see we helped your family create special memories together back then. I hope you still visit Frankenmuth to do the same thing!

Yes... there is STILL free popcorn in the Lorelei Lounge - that was a great tip that still stands strong. WE hope to still be serving you for generations to come HemlockMommy!

With Sincere Appreciation,

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
On Behalf of the ENTIRE Bavarian Inn Lodge Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!