“A Very Nice Experience”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Michigan
“A Very Nice Experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Was here recently for a weekend conference. Having been to Frankenmuth Michigan many times, I expected the Bavarian Inn to be a nice hotel, and I was not disappointed. Our room was pleasant, the restaurants great and the people in charge of our conference area were helpful. The adult pool area looked quite wonderful, although I never had a chance to use it. I would like to go back and try it out. The hotel is set back from the town just enough to give it a feeling of spaciousness - love the wooden bridge that we had to cross to get to it. The hotel provides a shuttle to the downtown although it's really a short walk.

I would have given this hotel five stars except for two incidents. One - One of the front desk people was not that friendly. Also, one of our presenters was told he had to check out at 11AM just like everyone else. Most hotels/motels let presenters wait to check out until after their last session, especially if it's an early session which this one was. We requested that he could check out at 1PM but were told "no". Also, we were told we could store some equipment in a room free-of-charge by the conference coordinator. However, when it came time to do this, we were told there would be a $50 charge. The coordinator wasn't available - it was another hotel staff member who said this even though no one was using that room at the time. Now that I come to think of it, I wonder if the same person was responsible for all these slights.

All in all, though, I do recommend this hotel. I think families with children would really enjoy it. Looked like a lot to do with kids in tow.

There's a nice cafe, a well-stocked gift shop and a nice bar that has a full-service menu and a patio with music on weekends. The group I was with spent an evening on the patio and the music was great.

Room Tip: If I came with children, I think I would ask to stay near the arcade area. You will spend a lot of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear JN1975,

Thank you so much for your August 2012 post on this site. I somehow neglected to thank you back then and can now see on the site any reviews I did not respond to previously - my apologies for the delay!

Thank you for your attendance and participation at your conference and your kind words here. I am so sorry there was any form of rudeness at the Front Desk, this is never acceptable. We do live with hundreds of requests each week for early arrivals and late check-outs BOTH. But when the speaker is involved, we do and should of course work with them. I will bring this up as a reminder to staff again as many staff are not the same individuals of a year ago!

WE appreciate you seeing past these over sites and still realizing we area great facility. We will keep working hard to make these other situations not repeat in the future!

With great appreciation,

Jim Engel, C.O.O. - Serving Bavarian Inn Guests for 36 Years -
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,339)
Garrett, Indiana
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have stayed at the inn over 20 times since they opened & we have never been disappointed. All we can say is it's an awesome place! We have stayed there at one time or another in all of the seasonal changes & there's always something to do no matter the weather. The family fun center will attract all age groups. It has mini-golf, video games, a snack bar/restaurant, play house, etc. You can also play a quiet game of cards or even play board games. The 5 pools are also age appropriate from the kiddie pool to the adult pool. It's truly amazing! The cleanliness of the hotel & facilities is unbelievable & the staff goes out of its way to meet guests' needs. They are all so friendly & welcoming. We enjoy the Loreili Lounge in the evening. Even there you can find a quite corner for conversations or decide to take on the dance floor & enjoy a night of fun. For breakfast we truly enjoy Oma's restaurant. Order from the menu or there's also a buffet. What amazes us about the Bavarian is that it is a family ran business & they are excellent at guests services. The whole family will honestly enjoy their stay because they just know how to do it right.

Room Tip: Try a river view balcony room. Also the rooms are equipped with refrigerators.
1 Thank julie f
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Julie F.,

It is a true honor to have had you stay with us for 20 years! It is also very kind to know that we are one of your two most favorite get-a-ways anywhere! I will share your post with our staff at upcoming meetings to show how important their continued efforts are in helping every guest in any way we can. We are blessed to have you and all of our other guests in our hotel!

Walled Lake, Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our first visit and stay at the Bavarian Inn Lodge. We had a great time. Everyone was kind and helpful. Our room was beautiful and very clean. We can't wait to come back again in 2013. Thank you Bavarian Inn and keep up the great work.

Room Tip: We chose the bottom floor due to having a child younger than one year old.
Dear Aieda,

We do hope to be apart of your young families tradition for years to come and so appreciate your kind words on TripAdvisor.com!

With great appreciation,

Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stay at the Bavarian Inn 2-3 times per year usually for 2-3 days at a time. It is always a great time. There is always something going on in the town & the hotel. The basement of the hotel is a complete fun center, video games, mini golf, swimming pools, bar/grill. It is a place where the whole family can have a good time-children to adults. We always visit the Riverview Plaza to make our trip complete. It is just through the parking lot and has many unique shops.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, I would recommend the fun center floor. Almost everything you wa...
Dear Brian H.,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and your loyalty to visiting the Bavarian Inn Lodge and the entire community of Frankenmuth! We do not take your loyalty for granted and will work hard to assist you and all our guests in creating family memories together as you return in the future!

Traverse City
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was a first visit to this area; the occasion was a family reunion. The staff was simply wonderful and very helpful. We found all aspects of the Inn to be extremely clean. This is not an easy thing to do with the volume of guests, especially with many children at the Inn. The arcade area, cafe, adjoining pools, and bathrooms were always spotless; we were there at various times of the day and was impressed each time. A great time was had by all both young and old!!

Dear Terrie S.,

Thank you for being a part of a larger family reunion at the Lodge. We love to be a part of families gathering together for special memories and appreciate your entire families business and choice of staying with us. Your kind words about the cleanliness will be shared with the staff in housekeeping. We are proud of their efforts and appreciate that they are being recognized by you. I hope you can visit alone, or with your reunion again in the future!

Clay, MI
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Spending 5 nights at the Bavarian Inn was a great experience. The room had a wrap around glass and screen balcony overlooking the Cass River. The beds were very comforttable and welcoming after a day of shopping, walking around the beautiful town and attending the National antique fire engine muster at the gorgeous park. The breakfast buffet at the Inn was very good. The Lorelei Lounge (outside) was a breath of fresh air and a great place for an evening drink while listening to the singer. Our banquet had the best food we've ever had at a banquet. The staff and facilities were top notch. This is a great destination for a couple, a family (5 indoor pools) or a large group. The entire experience was memorable, relaxing, and fun.

Room Tip: Room 1439 had the largest wrap around balcony with windows and screens overlooking the Cass River an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Linda J.,

It was a pleasure serving you and the other Fire Muster delegates and your beautiful fire trucks were a thrill to spectators all over Frankenmuth. So glad you enjoyed the Schnitzelbank Bier Garten and your room. We hope you can stay with us again when the event returns... or perhaps sooner!

Jim Engel, COO
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Well I'm a pessimist so I'll start with the bad. Prices are ridiculous. Staff isn't too helpful. Not outright rude but just "doing their job". I really hate (pet peeve) there is no free coffee in the lobby Coffee is super cheap but you have to go in overpriced gift shop & pay $3 for it. Or make it yourself in the room, but then you can't leave because they don't give you "to go" cups. The river view which we payed extra for sucked. They were doing construction yet did not lower the price to reflect that. You had tiny outdoor patio but you had your neighbor so close you could kiss him. Walls thin heard guy next door snoring loudly. Their "perks club" really doesn't give you that much considering how much you spend there. Plus no free breakfast. There nothing is free. Oma's the restaurant serves excellent, delicious breakfast -which costs money. $400 for 2 nights not worth the money.

Dear Christine414:

I'm so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. I am not aware of any 350+ room hotels who place complimentary coffee in their lobbies. With over 1,000 guests in house it would be awkward & extremely difficult to provide nice service to guests. Instead we invest over $100,000 a year to provide complimentary coffee in all guestrooms year round. We provide china coffee cups, which you are welcome to carry to the Fun Center or lobbies if you wish. Most guests perceive this as a higher level of service, but I appreciate your comment about leaving with the coffee. We can evaluate that process!

The coffee provided in Martha's Gift Shop provides a vast variety of coffee products (latte's, espressos, flavored coffees, etc.) Guests typically choose this option as they prefer it when on vacation as a treat or they are accustomed to higher level drinks.

We are in fact under construction with two new water slides opening in about 3 months, but we just started. Since this is anonymous, I am not sure of the exact location of your room. Please contact me if you were not provided the future discount offer to experience the waterslides. At the time of your stay, we had just began removing the external corner of the building where a tower will be built. I am very sorry that this affected your view of the river.

I am very disappointed that you felt the perks club does not offer a great value. We provide a 10% return value for dollars spend on all dining, shopping, and lodging. I know of no hotel / resort that has a 10% reward. There are many other benefits of the club, but this site does not allow the promotion of a property on this site.

Finally, I must beg to differ, there are so many amenities included (free?) that you don't experience elsewhere. Since you are specifically disappointed in there being nothing for free, I hope this site allows the explanation and response to your specific complaine. The use of 3 indoor pools; 3 whirlpools; exercise room; children's village; ping-pong tables; board games signed out from Michael's Gift Shop; yard games in fair weather in the front lawn of the Lodge; nightly live entertainment; family karaoke in the Fun Center's Ratskeller Restaurant. Also Free shuttle service between the Lodge, Frankenmuth River Place Shops and Bavarian Inn Restaurant which is downtown Frankenmuth. We work hard to provide a variety of services and amenities that are comparable or better than most alternatives that are very family focused. I am sorry if they do not meet your needs.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss particulars in more detail or if I can receive more clarity regarding your circumstances.

jimengel@bavarianinn.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!