“Great Value For Families With Small Children”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Reviewed February 13, 2008

Traveled 1 hr to BI for one night on a MON, feb 9, with my wife and 2 girls, age 5 and 1. REAL early check-in was granted. We r perks members and go a couple times a year. Had a revamped whirlpool suite, very nice. Place was dead, no complaints, Love the family fun area, dinner at the Inn was as well as can be expected with 2 small girls, breakfast at Oma was very good, Everyone was very nice EXCEPT a front desk lady who was sarcastic and condescending when I merely inquired about a second night at cheaper than their $79 offer (I had the same room for $59 last March for a second night). When I approached the 2nd time to try the manager, she actually referred to me as the "$59 man". Previous poster griping about the toddler pool was correct .. If your under two, you're gonna turn blue. Yes we stayed the second night at $79. They need more newspapers in the am and they need more "deal or no deal " machines, my wife and 5 yr. old had a great time on them. We shall return, being that our 5 yr old has come to look forward to these trips and that it is a good situation, especially in the winter

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank damfran
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2015

Dear DamFran (2008):

I learned recently that I can respond to reviews going "way back" in history on Trip Advisor. So my apology for responding 8 years later!

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2008! So pleased we were a good value for your young family back then. I hope you are still visiting and having fun. You know, we still have Deal or No Deal games! We hope for the opportunity to continue to serve your family for years to come!

With Sincere Appreciation,

On Behalf of the ENTIRE Bavarian Inn Lodge Team

Reviewed February 3, 2008

This place was great for families! Lots to do, we never even left the resort. Only there one night, but so much fun stuff going on that we were entertained the entire time.

Bavarian Inn is very clean, kept up nice, looks great. Staff was very friendly. We were not worried at all about the things our 2-1/2 year old was touching or around.

Lots of fun games for him to play, 2 story play house for the little ones, great kiddie pools. Watch out for the "older" kids who come into the kiddie pools. They tend to spray the water guns a bit too much, and right in our faces. But the staff responded very quickly and nicely to our one and only complaint.

TIP-free popcorn in the Lorelei Lounge, but you have to pay for it in the Ratskeller.

You can buy drinks (coffee, beer, wine, pop, etc.) and walk around the entire place with it. It's very comfortable, very fun. We will definitely go back again and we only live 45 minutes away!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank hemlockmommy

Dear Hemlock Mommy (2008):

But I wanted to thank you for your very kind words from back in 2008! So pleased to see we helped your family create special memories together back then. I hope you still visit Frankenmuth to do the same thing!

Yes... there is STILL free popcorn in the Lorelei Lounge - that was a great tip that still stands strong. WE hope to still be serving you for generations to come HemlockMommy!

With Sincere Appreciation,

On Behalf of the ENTIRE Bavarian Inn Lodge Team

Reviewed January 31, 2008

We live rather close and thought this would be a great place to stay & take our girls 20 months & 3.5 years old. We also have older daughter that came along that is 19.

I was very disappointed in the whole experience. During check in she wasn't pleasant at all, in my opinion rude. I asked about late check in & was informed I would have to check tomorrow. I questioned getting my perks points for my stay. Was told I have to see the Perks people tomorrow. I needed to see them to get my birthday gift and my points from our stay was already added to my account. Why couldn't the clerk just tell me that!

Went to our room wasn't what I requested, wanted a King Suite got a family suite with two double beds. My girls wanted to go swimming that I didn't make a fuss. Went to the pool, the toddler pool was gross & freezing. My littlest one had blue lips & was shaking from the cold. We spent an hour at the pools, spent more time in the large pools because of the toddler pool being so cold & gross. When I took off my littlest ones swim diaper you would of thought I spent an hour on the beach the amount of sand that was in it.

Oldest Daughter went to spend time in the hot tub until a group of young ladies came in their white bras & panties to the hotel tub. Left nothing to your Imagination! I couldn't believe you would allow this. I seen them two hours later still in the hot tub.

The girls loved the play area, great place & the only thing that would bring me back.

The beds were comfortable. Got up & went to breakfast a little before 8am. We had to wait to be sat, no one was in the restaurant. The wait staff wasn't pleasant. We waited forever for our breakfast. Nothing difficult with pancakes & eggs. Went to the pools and the toddler pool was still dirty & cold. I told three people the night before and would of thought it would of at least been vacuumed.

Checked out & the clerk never asked me how my stay was, no thank you hope to see you again. Nothing! I walked away and came back and told her about the pool. She didn't seem to care, didn't even know which one I was talking about. Hello you only have one toddler pool! Before we left we went down to let the girls play one more time, I rode the elevator down with a maintenance employee told him about the pool. He told me it shouldn't be cold because it has two heaters, walked right by the pool. It was 11am when they closed the pool there was three men walking around. I told them about the pool, the 1/2 hour I was there they never went to the toddler pool and I'm sure if I went back this afternoon it still would be dirty & cold!

I will find some place else for my family to spend some winter time. Very disappointing for a quick trip that I was really looking forward to. In my opinion it was middle of the week, weren't busy no excuse for the terrible service & uncleaned pool!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank tsbaskets
jimengel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2008

Thank you for your brutal honesty regarding your past stay in January 2008. I have checked our maintenance logs and confirmed that there were in fact mechanical problems found with this pool that a small pipe called a "finger" inside of the filter broke and this allowed some sand to enter the pool. This is a problem that should have been handled differently. I feel the problem should have been caught earlier and we should have shut that 1 of our 5 pools down until repaired. I am very sorry my staff did not isolate the problem quickly. I am perplexed on the temperature issue as the pool logs show temperature settings 3 times a day for every day and they were tested at 84 detrees consistently throughout the dates of your stay.

Regardless, I am sorry that the pool did not meet your needs and hope you were able to enjoy the other 3 children related pools.

Regarding girls swimming in underwear, this is not acceptable and not allowed. Usually we need to rely on guests telling us about this type of behavior because we would only know this is a problem if we see them entering or exiting the whirlpool. But whenever this type of behavior is seen, we react. I am sorry we did not discover this on our own.

I also apologize for what you define as an overall lack of positive spirit and cheerfulness from some staff members. This is not normal and something I hear only ocassionally. We recieve hundreds of written compliments each month commenting on the friendly staff and wonderful, helpful demeanor of the staff. We will continue ongoing training with our team members to strive for creating enjoyable experiences at all times through each of our interactions with guests. I am very sorry that you found your stay to be negative and would like to make it up to you.

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Reviewed January 14, 2008

My wife, 3 kids (ages 14, 10, and 6) and I had a great time here. We spent a few hours in the afternoon shopping and then decided to pack it in for the remainder of our stay at the Inn. If you've not been here, there is more than plenty to do. They have 5 indoor pools ranging from adult only to a "zero depth" kiddie pool. The water was just right; not cold or saturated with chlorine. The whirlpools (20 person limit, but I bet you could get 25 in there) are huge and very comfortable. The food at the Ratskellar (Chuck-E-Cheese like) is fine. It's a little expensive, but the food quality was reasonable. There is a large number of video games where you could drop a fortune if you let your kids go nuts. There is an 18 hole indoor minature golf course that was easy enough for a 6 year old and challenging enough for adults.

The Bavarian Inn is huge. The room we stayed in was not. It was a very tight squeeze with the 5 of us in two double beds and a roll-away bed. The room isn't that big, so don't plan on hanging out in there. It's certainly dated, with scratchy bedding.

The kids had a blast with so much to do and we as parents had a great time hanging out with them. There's alot to do at the Bavarian Inn, so don't plan on sitting around in your room, it's too small anyhow.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank maninmirror

Thank you for your compliments on our family activities and our Family Fun Center and over 100 video games. I'm glad your family enjoyed these ammenities.

Your right, I would agree, some of our guestrooms are not very spacious for a family of five with a roll-a-way. We have been serving families at the Lodge for over 21 years now and 22 years ago when I and Judy Zehnder were designing guestrooms and building the Lodge, the standard size of guestrooms were smaller then today. In fact when we added on the 2nd and 3rd expansions, we built the guestrooms longer and added many mini-suites, Whirlpool Suites and Family Suites for that very reason.

Plus a few rooms that are at the lower price range happen to be bigger due to their proximity to turns in the building etc. For future reference these rooms include, 156, 158, 256, 258, 356, 358 and 291 - 295. Very affordable rooms that handle 5 guests better.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by scratchy beds, but it sounds like uncomfortable linen. I apologize for this. It should be very comfortable as we use a high thread count sheet and we are updating mattresses very frequently. Over 150 sets were updated in Fall 2007. Again my apology for this.

We do hope you will consider joining us again in the near future. I feel we have the right ammenities a family such as yours will enjoy again and again. Plus, we are agressively staying on top of having some of the hottest new video games out there - such as "Deal or No Deal" - we have two of them in-house!

Reviewed January 12, 2008

This is very long, but I wanted to write a detailed review!

This was my first visit to Frankenmuth, and it was the first time staying at the Bavarian Inn for both my husband and I. We stayed for 4 nights(Mon-Fri) and the hotel was so quiet. We barely ever had two or three other people in the pool/hot tub, and many times had both to ourselves. For anyone who complains of noise or too many kids (which I don't understand because it is a very family oriented hotel and shows kids in all of the ads, so there is no surprise as to how many kids will be there) I recommend going when we did which was right after the New Year when all the kids are back in school. Also, stay in the adult courtyard, you won't see any kids(I love kids, but some seem to want a quiet, kid-free stay) Also it is a much cheaper time of year, especially if you are a Perk's Member ( I highly recommend becoming a Perk's Member!) There are lots of great coupons this time of year, it's well worth it for a nice, quiet getaway! Oma's Restaurant was closed the first two days for a deep cleaning, which is understandable since it is a slow time of year. Oma's has the best fish& chips ever-I highly recommend eating there! It was great service, and good prices too. I was really surprised by how good the Ratskellar Restaurant was. Most in-hotel restaurants are so-so, but both Oma's and Ratskellar were great. The Monster burger at Ratskellar was really good and very reasonable prices as well. It was great to have such good food without even leaving the hotel! The pools were very warm and super clean. We stayed in a room that goes out to the adult-only courtyard/pool. That was the best decision I ever made. Being able to walk right out to the pool was awesome. We also ate at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant as well. I couldn't believe how much food you get! Also, the service was very fast and friendly. I also recommend going to the Cheese Haus, which is just north of the hotel. Great selection, and awesome cheeses. Also you get points if you are a Perk's member. We earned over $60 in gift cert. after one stay, just by being a member.

I do have a few things that I would like to suggest/mention. First off, when you go to the Bavarian Restaurant you have lots of leftovers. There are refrig. in each room which is great. However, no microwaves. This makes no sense to me since the restaurant is a very popular choice, and there is so much food you can take home with you. If you are staying at the hotel for several days like we did, you will want to eat the leftovers right away. It's great that they have refrig. to use, but odd that there is no microwave to reheat the leftovers(either in your room or anywhere in the hotel-we asked) I discussed this with several other people at the hotel and they too agreed. I was also told that even the suites don't have a micro. Even if they did, I would not spend all that extra money just for a micro. So, we went to 7 eleven (Just north of the hotel) and heated our food in the micro there. It worked, but having a micro in the room would have been much easier.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that you have to pay for your entire stay up front, when you check-in. Nowhere on the Bavarian Inn website does it mention this. I called to make reservations, and it wasn't mentioned on the phone either. Every hotel I have ever stayed at allows you to pay at checkout, that has always been the norm. I payed for one night on my credit card, when I made reservations which I didn't have a problem with. When I went to check-in, they wouldn't let me stay unless I payed up front. The problem is that we checked in on Mon. and my husband was getting payed until Fri(the day we were checking out) so we figured we would just carry some cash for food, etc and just pay on Fri when we checked out. So, I had to call my mom and have the full amount held on her credit card until Fri. That would have been ok, except that they ended up charging my account for the full amount, and caused me overdrafts. They were very great to work with, and cleared up the situation and even called to have the overdrafts reversed. The problem is with their computers. Even if they enter in a new credit card number, for some reason it charges the original card number that was entered. That would be a big problem for someone who wanted to use one credit card to pay for the first night, and a different one to pay for the rest of the nights. If they did, the original card would be charged at checkout and that could cause major problems for some. It also happened at checkout when I wanted my card charged, but they charged my mom's account instead (which I had used to "hold" our stay) I had to call and have them take it off hers and charge mine. So, twice it charged the wrong card. Obviously it is a computer problem that needs to be solved. When I was at the front desk other people checking in were not aware of the "pay up front" policy, and were very upset so I know I am not alone. Another note, they "hold" the amount from your account and no money is actually taken out until checkout, but if you have transactions coming through you will get overdrafts, and the amount held is not available to use. Of course they suggested that I use another credit card but I don't have any, only my bank account. We are a young couple and don't have a lot of money and this was our first trip in a long time, so I think they need to clarify their policies a little better, and defintely tell you when you make reservations and list it on their site during the reservation area. Overall, I had an awesome experience at the hotel and even the credit card issues won't deter me from returning because the staff was oustanding in handling the issues, and I understand that there are computer issues from time to time. I am also a lot more understanding and patient than most people so I do think they need to change a few things to prevent others from running into the same problems that I did. All in all, I highly recommend staying at the Bavarian Inn. I didn't want to go home, and we are already talking about going there more often for a little getaway since we are less than an hour from there.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank briansgirl7983

Thank you for your kind words regarding your overall experience at the Bavarian Inn and promotion of our Bavarian Inn Perks Club. We appreciate your return visits and I appreciate your detailed account of the challenge you had with your payment with different card types.

In the hotel industry, some properties request and advance deposit of ONE nights lodging - like we do. We have learned that this shows a sincere intent to stay with us. Years ago, when we didn't request an advance deposit dozens and dozens of rooms wouldn't bother to call to cancel and we turned away other guests and sat with empty rooms, hurting our business and disappointing other guests. Since advance deposits are required - everyone calls to cancel now. I would prefer to not have to do this, but it is the only way to keep business optimum and minimize disappointment for other guests.

Regarding paying on departure, this is the case on a CREDIT card that is swiped at check-in. It sounds like you had a DEBIT card which actually reserves funds in your checking or savings account. With a credit card, it would reserve the "credit you have" on your account but this would be the balance you intend to spend at checkout anyway. Or at least very close. I personally discourage debit card use on any transaction that is not instant - typically the case of a hotel or rental car company. The transaction stays "open" for the duration of the service being provided.

I am VERY SORRY there was confusion and and pleased to hear my staff responded quickly to the situation. We will look at ways to make our advance deposit policy more clear on the internet. I am sure we can do that.

Regarding microwaves, with all of the power demand in our guestrooms currently, a microwave added would be much more costly then buying the microwave. This is something we continue to study - from the electrical load situation.

We are very pleased to hear your compliments on both the Ratskeller and Oma's Restaurant within the Lodge. I will share your comments with those staffs.

Thanks Again and we look forward to your SECOND stay!

Reviewed December 26, 2007

My girlfriend and I enjoy Frankenmuth so much, we make a point to visit there every month! We would not even think of staying anywhere else but the Bavarian Inn Lodge! The Lodge IS the heart and soul of Frankenmuth.

One cannot find a more beautiful, impressive, and welcoming place. As Perks members, we marvel time and time again at how friendly the entire staff is, from housekeepers you pass in the hallways to the front desk help. We truly feel at home, and more importantly, feel like valued guests. Our enthusiasm to remain loyal patrons is reinforced every visit!

The ambience and aura of Germany/Bavaria is richly and perfectly conveyed at the Lodge. The sheer, massive size of the Bavarian Inn is impressive. The beauty and detail and pride which has gone into the design shines forth.

We love the multiple hot tubs, especially the adult area. The beautiful woodwork ceiling is soothing. The river view balcony rooms are our favorites. The free shuttle service to the nearby resturant/town area is so appreciated. I would have to say that Oma's dining room has the best food you will find in any hotel.

Families will be very impressed with the amazing fun center, which encompasses the entire lower level of the Inn. During rare inclement weather, one never has to leave the Lodge to have a wonderful day!

The ability to book online is easy, helpful, and convenient. My only suggestion is that selected river view rooms also have an awe-inspiring view of the covered bridge; I feel that these select rooms should be designated "bridge view" in their descriptions.

The Bavarian Inn Lodge is the most wonderful place to visit and Frankenmuth is the most unique, relaxing, and beautiful vacation location!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Raymond777
jimengel, Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2008

A sincere Thank You for your kind words about the Bavarian Inn and specifically about the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am sharing your posting with the entire Bavarian Inn ownership as I feel you have captured the essence of what we try so hard to do every day at Bavarian Inn - Create Enjoyable Experiences for our Guests, ourselves and each other!

Thousands of guests have made clear, we should ALWAYS KEEP the adult only pool that we have. Regardless of how busy OR slow the other pools are, there are guests who visit without children and want some solitude in the Adult Pool or Whirlpool. You have our assurance, it isn't going away!

I'm so glad you are enjoying membership in the Perks Club. We have over 17,000 families in the club to date and over 1,500 of those families have stayed a member for the 10 years the program existed.

Thanks again for your loyalty and we will keep working hard to fulfill your requests.

Reviewed October 29, 2007

I booked an overnight stay on a Sunday night using my Perks discount. I chose a whirlpool suite because my latest Perks mailer had a blurb about their newly updated whirlpool suites, with multi-spray showers and whirlpools with lights(!!??!!)
I booked through the Perks section of the hotel website, and chose a suite that had a river view. None of the listings online specified an "updated suite", so I planned to call ahead and make sure I got one. Well, I never called, and on arrival I found out that all the "new" suites were taken or still being worked on. No big deal.....I will just have to go back and try one out !!! I did end up with a very nice suite, anyway....the whirlpool tub was actually large enough for 2 people, unlike some places I've seen that advertise "2 person whirlpool" and you could maybe fit 2 9-year-olds. Since I was by myself, it was very roomy & relaxing. The king size bed was heaven!! I had a shared balcony overlooking the river, which would probably be very noisy on a busy day, but was great for reading & relaxing on a Sunday evening.
Another great thing about a Sunday night stay is....NO CROWDS.
I have previously stayed on Fridays and/or Saturdays, which can get crazy. I had dinner at Oma's, and it was practically deserted at 5pm, while Zehnder's & Bavarian Inn were packed due to it being Sunday and a warm day to boot. I went down to use the pool at 7:30pm, and there were times when I was the only person in the pool or hot tub. There was a convention of some sort going on in the conference center Monday morning, so there were people around, but NOTHING like a Fri. or Sat.. Shopping on the main street on Monday morning was also much less hectic!
All in all, a very good experience.... next time I will call ahead and get one of those refinished suites !!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank kelivonia
jimengel, Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2007

Thank you for your kind words about the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am sorry that you did not recieve the whirlpoolsuite type that you anticipated when you booked on line. We do have our suites broken out into various types and it appears that the online descriptions are not clear. For this I am very sorry and we will recify that description for future reference.

I am glad you found your visit peaceful and relaxing. We do in fact have many more families on weekends with a larger mix of children, but we do work very hard and staff heavier to help manage the children who may be unsupervised in hallways and public areas.

If you are ever wondering if a specific day is anticipated to be busy or more peaceful in the future, our reservationists have a good feel for that. You could also ask for me personally and I can identify slow & quiet dates with ease.

Thanks again!

Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Lodge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#3 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!