“The Bavarian Inn is the perfect base to explore Franknemuth, Michigan”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Milwaukee,Wisconsin
“The Bavarian Inn is the perfect base to explore Franknemuth, Michigan”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Bavarian Inn for five separate visits. This facility has something for everyone. We came for the Memorial Day Hot Air Balloon Championships and balloon glows. They also hold a Dog Bowl the same weekend. The Inn starts and ends with hospitality. The staff goes out of their way to insure our stay is great. Our rooms have been comfortable and kept clean on all of our visits. We have spent a lot of time on their wonderful patio drinking great German beer, eating and listening to entertainment. We do not have children but it offers, many game rooms, inside miniature golf, seven pools--and two of them adult only. The food is very good. You can walk or take the free shuttle bus which comes around every twenty minutes to explore the quaint town of Frankenmuth. It has many quality gift shops, restaurants, boat rides etc. We will be going
back again next year.

Room Tip: Their staff answered all questions about the vast variety of rooms. Their are elevators and lots of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Rayslane:

I greatly appreciate your annual visits and always enjoy meeting and greeting you and your entire group when you return. Thank you kindly for sharing your personal perspective on the Lodge. Memorial weekend with the Great Lakes Regional Hot Air Balloon Championships and the Dog Bowl "Olympic Based" dog events at River Place is a very special time for us at the Lodge and in Frankenmuth and we appreciate your contribution and involvement in all the fun!

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,347)
Reviewed May 25, 2012

M family and I have stayed here several times. We picked it initially because we looked the covered bridge and the architecture. Not the best reason to pick a hotel, but we lucked out. The room was very clean and we had a large balcony to sit on at night. The first time we stayed our room was located in the front of the hotel. The restaurant below had a live blues band that we sat out on the balcony and listened to. We actuallycouldn't hear it inside, which was great for those that wanted to go to bed early. They have several size rooms, the one we always end up with tends to be a bit small, but not cramped. The property itself is beyond huge. They have a bar, 2 restaurants, atleast 2 gift shops that I've been in. One of which for a late night bottle of wine! Something like 4 or 5 different swimming pools and several hot tubs. One of which is in a seperate very quiet part of the hotel that is adult only. They also had an indoor mini golf as well as a very large arcade gaming area for kids of all ages. We learned that they have a rewards program that accrues points for stays, restaurant purchases and shopping on site and many other locations throughout town. We have since received a gift certificate and a coupon that allows us to rebook for an outrageously low price of $25 a night during certain times of the year.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear SheleeRenee:

So glad you enjoyed taking in the free nightly entertainment and overall experience of the Bavarian Inn lodge. Honored that you joined the Bavarian Inn Perks Club with attractive offers to our loyal repeat guests. Nearly 19,000 families are now members of the club! We appreciate your loyalty and hope to help you make family memories for years to come in Frankenmuth.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Comfortable stay, fun, easily accessible, good food, great shopping.

• Stayed May 2012
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Apen Ryan,

First, my apology for not responding to your guest survey on Trip Advisor sooner. I have learned that some reviews don't appear immediately on the site and now learned I can go back quickly and see any posts that have not been responded to. So please excuse the delay!

Thank you for your kind words on our staff and guestrooms. We look forward to serving your family again in the future and hope to hear of your next great memory on this site soon!

With great appreciation!

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I took my grand-daughters here twice. I love the pools (similar to a waterpark),the huge arcade,and of course the location. Our room overlooked the creek in back of the property and offered a pretty courtyard with nice balcony. Our highlight of the balcony was a young gir,l( fellow guest) playing her violin,(she sounded wonderful). On the property There is a mini enclosure with peacocks my grandkids loved them! I found an isolated walking..jogging track and enjoyed working off some of the wonderful food. My biggest complaint would be the beds I found extremely hard.The night prior to leaving we were offerred a room at a discounted rated if we wanted to extend our stay. We took that offer up immediately and turned our one night trip into a weekend affair

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are quiet,and have a lovely view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Carlettems:

Thank you for extending your stay and taking in all the Lodge has to offer. The peacocks between the Lodge and Covered Bridge are special to us as Judy Zehnder, the owners, father Tiny Zehder, the founder of Bavarian Inn Restaurant was a farmer at heart and it was his idea over 12 years ago to put a peacock cage up here. He has been gone now for 4 years but so many different facets of his legacy live on. It is nice to hear how a neighboring guest made a "positive" impact on your stay by practicing violin! Glad you enjoyed the view of the Cass River (named after the first Governor of Michigan) and downtown Frankenmuth. Hope you return to Frankenmuth and the Lodge this summer!

Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Bad Customer Service & Bad Housekeeping = Bad Stay. The rooms are decent here, it has a lot of options for kids, and the location is excellent, but travelers may want to consider the Drury Inn or Springhill Suites instead of this property. It seems to me for the price, it missed its mark. The staff doesn't seem to be properly trained. The downtown area of Frankenmuth is nice with lots of shops including Bronner’s. Also, several nice antique shops are in the area. We had dinner down the street at the Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill and the food and service was excellent. The bad part of the Bavarian inn stay is documented below.

As one other review has stated, watch out if you have a discount coupon or FREE certificate for a stay. I went online to reserve 2 nights but the coupon code wouldn't take for the 1st night. I called and told them I was trying to book the "web only special" for 2 nights but had a certificate for a free night. The special was good for single night stays or multiple days. The dates were not in any blackout periods. I was told from the reservation woman to just book the hotel online and they would refund the first night back when we checked in. When we arrived around 8 PM, we were the only ones in line but were completely ignored for about 3 minutes by the 2 customer service reps who were talking to each other. Not even a greeting to acknowledge us which we thought was odd.

Finally, they take us and we are told we couldn't use the certificate for the FREE night because we booked a "web only" special. Well, this is why I called and I was informed to reserve online exactly as I did. So after the rep talked to the manager, they said they could make 2 separate reservations so I could use the FREE night but would have to pay the $179 rate for the second night instead of the $124 web special rate. This was a pure money grab by the manager. I could have booked 2 separate reservations myself beforehand (Free night plus web only special night) if I had known they were going to pull this. It was totally an egregious action on the part of the manager.

So they tell us we need to come down and check-in again on Saturday morning for the next day which was an inconvenience but no big deal. I tell them to send housekeeping up to clean the room. When we return from a little shopping, the room was haphazardly cleaned. The bed wasn't even made properly. Just the blankets pulled up with the pillows thrown about. And the ironing board and iron left out. I flag down housekeeping and ask them: ”Is this how you clean your rooms?” They apologize and send in a nice friendly young man who takes care of the room.

All in all, customer service disappointed us at the Bavarian Inn but we enjoyed the town of Frankenmuth.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bigwali
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Smith:

I am so very sorry that there was confusion and an appearance of impropriety regarding your room rate quote back in March of this year. I was able to identify the specifics and your actual booking as you gave enough information with the free gift certificate that you recieved from the Dog Bowl Olympic event at River Place for one nights stay.

When we place a special 'internet only' rate on the internet, we do so to promote an overly slow night. In this case, Friday March 16th. We build a two night package price with one total (internally the friday is deeply discounted & Saturday is at regular rate since it will sell out). I believe my reservationist erred when you called and told you to book via the internet for the two nights and left you with the "impression" that the two night rate would get cut in half. It appears they didn't tell you what the rate would be for Saturday and you presumed it would be 50% of the total). Since you had a gift certificate good for a Friday night free, they should have just quoted you the Saturday night rate (which is what you did end up paying) and book it at zero cost for Friday. I am very sorry for the impression that we were being greedy, it was truley a miscommunication as it appears you did not have a rate confirmed to you for Saturday at all until you arrived. I am so sorry for the confusion. This will be used as a training demonstration at the next Front Desk monthly Department meeting.

Since I could identify your reservation I could also identify who was working at 8pm and we have reviewed their lack of greeting you appropriately upon arrival. They were engrossed in the conversation and totally respect how you felt and send their personal apology as well.

Regarding your room and cleanliness on the second day, we were able to identify the specific team member who cleaned the room and we have mentored her thru this poor example. She too is sorry as well as Robin Pease our Executive Housekeeper and we feel confident this will not occur again.

I am sorry that the unique circumstances of a free night soured the reservation process and created a disappointing stay. Please contact me personally if you would consider returning to the lodge as I would like to personally reserve your room and follow through personally.

Apologetically,

Jim Engel, COO / GM
Westville, Indiana
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed here when Zenders (not very friendly staff) were full. Glad we did. we will stay here again, and sooner than later. 5 pools. kids in heaven. arcade games to knock your socks off. too many to choose from. kids and my husband in heaven. unfortunately we found the kareoke for our kids too late and only our 11 yr old girl sang, my 9 yr old son said we have to come back so he can sing (and he's shy?) yummy ice cream to give DOTS a run for sure. putt putt golf inside. several gift shops with anything you can think up. and the rooms CLEAN. no noise especially with all the kids there was great. beds were very comfortable, i slept like the dead. great view. friendly staff. I just can't wait to go back and stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear ACM:

Shared your review with our staff and you had them in stitches! So glad your children enjoy the 105 video games with about 140 playing positions at them. We keep bringing in some of the newest "test" games that are new to the market and we commonly are the first in Michigan to try them. We keep technical staff on-site 7 days a week to keep everything running. Glad you enjoy the new mattresses and the overall ambiance. We hope to be a part of your families traditions for years to come.

Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Bavarian Inn Lodge, although I have been visiting my entire life, never gets old. I absolutely love this hotel. It is warm, beautifully maintained, and full of entertainment. The Bavarian Inn restaurant, across the river from the lodge, is by far my favorite restaurant with the most delicious food. A weekend with the Bavarian Inn Lodge and restaurant, along with a visit to nearby Birch Run outlets, is a must.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Hannah D:

Thank you for your long time loyalty to both the Bavarian Inn Lodge and the Bavarian Inn Restaurant. We will keep working hard to make sure our services and staff exceed your expectations and help you family create FUN memories!

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!