“OUTSTANDING AND GOOD MEMORIES RENEWED”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Kansas City, Missouri
“OUTSTANDING AND GOOD MEMORIES RENEWED”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I cannot thank enough the Bavarian Inn Lodge, its staff and management, and the town of Frankenmuth in general for my recent visit, from which I returned home to Kansas City just this afternoon. I must be totally honest and say that I did not want to leave this morning AT ALL.

Long story short, but I really would like to share: I lived in the Detroit area twice in years past (Birmingham and Royal Oak) and was able to go up to Frankenmuth frequently, generally 2-3 times a month for lunch or dinner, and ALWAYS made it a #1 on the "to do" list for out of town visitors and family. They, too, fell in love with Michigan's Little Bavaria as I always did. In 2001 I left Detroit with really no choice due to a job change, and the biggest thing I was heartbroken about was having to leave my "little heaven on earth - Frankenmuth" not knowing when or if I would ever be back. But during those years, in addition to going up for lunch or dinner, I would also occasionally treat myself to the Bavarian Inn Lodge for some much-needed R&R after the big holidays such as Easter and Christmas, and being a church organist-choirmaster I needed that "down time!" But the entire town made it even THAT much more special, and when I was there, whether local or in the years since when I have been able to visit, I would even have my friends from Ann Arbor or Detroit meet me up there to dine and enjoy. This time was no exception, only it was a more important visit because I had not stayed there as a hotel guest since 1992 or 93. I was able to have dinner in Frankenmuth two years ago when I performed in Detroit, but I did not have time to stay over night, and Bronner's was closed (i was so upset as that is also a "must do" when visiting there!)

The hotel is magic, pure magic - I cannot adequately express how much I love being there. Even just walking into the lobby front doors makes me feel like I am indeed leaving the ordinary workd behind and entering a truly special place which sincerely welcomes you. It is IMMACULATE in every single regard. It looks fresh, smells fresh, is inviting and almost seems to say "wow Scott, hello! I am so glad you're back here again!" Very few places have had that affect on me.

I have stayed in Weiss Suite with a whirlpool, river view rooms with windows and balconies and countryside rooms. This time I got an adult pool courtyard room with a kingsize bed on the 1st floor...that will be my room of choice from now on, hands down!

The new flat-screen TVs are wonderful as are the new pillows they are trying out, and for which I filled out my survey form as requested that was left in the room. The mattresses are extraordinarily comfortable and firm support for one's back (bravo there!) The quality of sleep or even just watching TV is unsurpassed - the rooms are SILENT except for the very (very!) quiet "white noise" of the air handlers for each room, which is a sound I actually expect and like. But the rooms here are indeed genuine oases of peace, tranquility and pure enjoyment.

Even though the hotel is as huge as it is (and it really IS an enormous and beautiful property), one feels so safe, secure and CLEAN staying there. In this day and age, these are important and valuable attributes for any home away from home. The fact that there are entrances ALL throughout the building with their own bellman/luggage racks are a HUGE help as well!

Oma's Restaurant and the Loralei Lounge are also wonderful to have on site if one doesn't want to venture across the bridge to eat or drink, and if one just wants to stay in. The food, beverages and staff there are wonderful as well, and they too ad to the "Bavarian" experience and realism. I even enjoyed just sitting in my beautiful room and watching TV and enjoying some solitude time by myself. If I walked to the lobby or anywhere for that matter in the hotel, the staff is friendly, welcoming and kind - such a welcome change in a world that's fast becoming a much harder and scarier place in which to live, much less survive. That's another thing about Frankenmuth - it's almost like a retreat to me, it really is. I stayed two nights this time, and want to go back and spend 3-4 or more next time, and I would not be bored in doing so! (That adult pool and hut tub are even some of the main reasons for my going back).

Now a note here: management really should allow guests to stay in the pool or hot tub as late as they want PROVIDED they are not loud, disruptive or causing a problem - after all the courtyard rooms are right there in an enclosed space and noise could be a consideration. I go there to have solitude, R&R and enjoy such amenities, and resent being kicked out by night auditors "just because it's 11 PM" and I was an advanced swimmer on swim teams all my life and a very good and strong swimmer. I see no crime in being allowed to quietly and respectfully stay in the water, or just sit next to it, and continue enjoying it later at night instead of beign sent to my room just because the clock hits 11. There is no rhyme or reason for it and that should change. The first night I was there the people playing cards at the tables were far louder than myself and my friends who ame up and stayed overnight from Ann Arbor.

Price wise: well, I do think the hotel is high, especially given the last and most recent position/salary change I experienced. But at the same time, it is a very nice place and needs to be updated and kept well. I am a Perks Club member now so, supposedly, that will help in that department. Perhaps in this economy if the prices were lowered a bit it would help out for guests who want to return and yet also not diminish the quality or service.

Another suggestion: provide 24 hour room service. Both nights I got the serious munchies and there was NOTHING but vending machines. The town shuts down and even the McDonalds or Burger King drive thrus are not open late.

But the Bavarian Inn Lodge is a MUST SEE and MUST DO for anyone traveling to Frankenmuth. I tell people with a smile but also with acute seriousness "whenever I am in the state of Michigan, Frankenmuth is definitely on my 'to do' list and the Bavarian Inn Lodge is without question my hotel of choice." Its location and the ability to walk across the beautiful and rustic Holz-Brucke (wooden covered bridge) into town are just wonderful and one can actually park once at the hotel and not need their car again until they go to Bronners or Birch Run, or when the sad moment of deaparture from Little Bavaria must occur.

THANK YOU, Bavarian Inn Lodge, for all you give to your guests, and to me personally in more ways than you know. Visiting there is a truly special place to me, and I hope to be able to come back sooner than later. (I also must commend Jacob and Mary for all of their incredibly kind and knowledgeable assistance and for putting up with my questions!)
Danke Schoen!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the place, it just depends on what you are looking for or w...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank scottfop
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Scottfpo: Words cannot express the thanks for all of your kind words and suggestions. I am sharing your evaluation with all staff at an upcoming Goal Review meeting as I am sure it will touch the hearts of the staff & motivate more positive guest experience in the future!

Please look me up when you return, I would be happy to help coordinate the adult pool open later for you! We have tried this before and not all think of late night solitue swimming like you. Most think of beer and cocktails at 1am with loud laughing. One of the other reasons we pick a formal time is that we need to perform chlorine shocks and other adjustments to the pool while it "rests" before morning use. But that isn't every single day.

Wish there was a demand for late night dining and room service. We too have tried that and always spend more in labor to run it then revenues received. We do keep experimenting with new ideas though... your note will motivate us to continue that!

I hope to meet you upon your return visit and introduce you to Judy Zehnder-Keller the owner too. Sounds like your musically inclined... have you ever played a glockenspiel?

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
SW Ontario
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Once again , we have come back to the BAVARIAN iNN. There is just something about this place that makes you want to come back. I love the detail throughtout the builidngs, the importance of history and family that is shown thoughout. my kids and I had a great time in the arcade "kiddy gambling". We spent some time at the st patricks day party in the lounge also. The rooms are spacious but my one thing I'd like to change is the size of the beds. I really wish they would upgrade to queen size beds as doubles are just too small with a grwoing family.
We love the location of this Inn- everything is within walking distance plus they have a shuttle. The grounds are nicely kept and good to walk around- we did find out however that not all doors are unlocked. We left the pool area to walk down to the river to see the ducks and to our dismay we were locked out- thank goodness some passerbyers came to our assistance.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mackiecat
Thanks so much for your frequent visitation to the Lodge Mackiecat! So glad you enjoy the games and even the ducks. Stumped about being locked out - sorry for that... Many of our rooms would not comfortably accommodate two queen beds, but I will share your thoughts with Judy Zehner-Keller on this subject. Hope you are members of the Perks Club so you can take advantage of special rates since you are a repeat guest! Please look me up on your return visit at the Front Desk!

Indiana, USA
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Spent an incredible two days in Frankenmuth ath the Bavarian Inn Lodge and had an incredible meal at the Bavarian Restaurant. We even got to meet the owners and the 89 year old patriarch who still works daily in the kitchen. This lodge goes above and beyond to make all of their guests feel just like family. They even have rooms named after families with family histories and pictures in the rooms. It is heaven for children with so many things to do.

Room Tip: Not to worry-they are all fabulous.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SandyIndiana_USA
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for visiting both the Bavarian Inn Restaurant and the Lodge. Dorothy Zehnder (now 90 years young actually!) so very much enjoys going thru the dining rooms and meeting guests. Thanks for enjoying the architecture and family histories in the rooms. All histories are on our website for people to share anytime!

I hope to meet you in person when you next return! Look me up at the Front Desk please!

Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Lodge
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 4, 2012

From time to time I do have an occasion for business in the hometown of my youth, Frankenmuth MI. I had a recent trip to the Bavarian Inn Lodge and was struck by the beauty around every corner inside and outside the hotel. The attention to detail by the staff. The exceptional value for a top shelf experience. When I first thought--oh, business back in Michigan in February, I need a new travel agent. The Lodge erased such thoughts.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Kraig C
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Kraig:

Thank you for your kind words and your patronage to the Lodge and Frankenmuth. So glad I was able to spend time and visit with you and your lovely bride! It is a warm feeling whenever their reunions with you and others who "come home" to visit from time to time!

We always look forward to serving you!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This hotel has everything! The rooms are spacious and comfy, the arcade, pools and indoor golf are entertaining for both kids and adults. We always make it a point to make a trip to the Frankenmuth Brewery and of course have a famous chicken dinner at the nearby restaurant. It is close to some wonderful shopping areas and to downtown. It is a short drive to the Birch Run outlets as well. We make it here about twice a year as it is a relaxing and fun weekend escape.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoGators2012
Dear GoGators2012:

Thank you for making the Lodge a twice annual visit when taking in all of Frankenmuth! We appreciate your repeated patronage and thank you for your being such a wonderful ambassador of the Lodge and Frankenmuth. We have always had a close alliance to the Birch Run Mall and understand why you love making a trip there part of your tradition!

Look forward to meeting you upon your next visit!

Ontario
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Simple and easy weekend. Bavarian Inn staff are helpful - whether its at the hotel or in the restaurant. Comfortably close to Birch Run shopping. Rooms are basic - and always clean. Our kids entirely enjoy the pools and especially the indoor golf. The arcade - although very overstimulating and often crowded is still fun - just a chance to goof off with - and sometimes impress - the kids.

Arcade machines dispense tickets as winnings which are redeemable for prizes. For our kids (6 yrs old) the opportunity to redeem for prize is a thrill. Only criticism - this can be a trying experience for the adult - as the over stimulus from the arcade rings from behind, and the over excitement of the kids = much patience is required. If there was a better way (carry a game card (like a winners club card similar to a casino) instead of tickets redemption.. then prize redemption - it sure would help things along.

Family style chicken dinner at the Bavarian Inn is second to none. Cross the handmade wooden bridge for a crisp night stroll to go the main restaurant. The meal isn't fancy - but IT IS delicious. The atmosphere is nostalgic and evokes feelings of being inside a Bavarian manor, details to architecture and ties to country themes are terrific. MAKE RESERVATIONS! With that said the food service is very quick and so it appears you get seated pretty quickly.

Charming and family friendly location. Enjoy

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet - we've been going for 4 years and never had an issue. Signage around the h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank K-C23CA
Dear K-C23CA:

Thank you for sharing your family experience at the Lodge. So glad you enjoyed your stay as well as our traditional chicken dinner at our large Bavarian Inn Restaurant on Main Street. The Bavarian Inn Zehnder-family enjoy re-creating the bavarian experience and your words of appreciation in this area bring a smile to their faces! William "Tiny" Zehnder the founder of Bavarian Inn Restaurant created the bavarian theme and the town followed!

Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to your return! We will keep the chicken piping hot!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My children and I loved this hotel. The Fun Center offers so many activities, the food in the restaurants was delicious, and the lodge itself is very cute in it's Bavarian theme. It is a short walk to downtown and the covered bridge and river are beautiful.

I would recommend ear plugs for sleeping. Despite the fact that the management has been so good as to post signs everywhere asking people to keep quiet in the hallways, there are too many ill mannered people out there and the noise echos considerably. Also, bring summer clothes to wear in the fun center. It is at a comfortable temperature for those in swim suits and you will overheat wearing warm clothes while playing video games or putt putt.

Overall, fantastic experience! Also, when a video game ate our tokens, the game technician bent over backward to accommodate us. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cristine A
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Christine A.,

First, my apology for not responding to your 2012 post on TripAdvisor soon. In some cases posts are delayed and I learned of a tool to quickly go back hundreds of posts to see that I did not respond. So...

A Sincere thank you for your review on this site. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the amenities of the Lodge and hope to see you return again in the near future! Please give us updates on this site!

With great appreciation!

Jim Engel, C.O.O.
Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!