“It's the little things that can make a difference but in this case didn't.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Carmel, Indiana
“It's the little things that can make a difference but in this case didn't.”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The lodge is big and your pocketbook better be as well. It's the little things that make a difference. I found it funny but sad that the inside cover of the room information book had a page dedicated to how the lodge was started and that Mrs. Zenhder went into the lodging business because her travels with her kids helped her discover things that would make a stay better. Well, my suggestion is stay in your own lodge. Pillows are as flat as pancakes, don't try to get more they are flat too. Buffett food is not good. Biscuits were as hard as hockey pucks. Bathroon soap is cheap, fell apart after two people used it. One very small shampoo no conditioner. Don't want to swim in the pools from 11:00 to 1:30 they are closed. So, we visited the arcade. They have a wax dipping area to get a wax impression of your hand. My 12 year old had to have one. We were told to come back after 1:30 they were starting lunches and couldn't help us. Tried to order a pizza from an outside vendor and the vendor stated and I quote, "We aren't allowed to be on the grounds of the hotel, they might lose a buck or two. You are on your own." Valet parking is non existant and I would have paid for it. My husband has a broken leg and hotel staff help was nowhere to be found even though they walked right past him in the lobby. It's the little things that do mean a lot. The hotel is in it for the money. Long ago it might have been different, but if you know what you are in for and accept it then your stay will be fine. If you really want to feel like you matter, go somewhere else. The grounds are beautiful and the location is good. The shuttle however, goes to the inn restaurant and nowhere else. They might lose a buck or two.

Room Tip: Try to get one close to the elevator if you can't walk far.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lisapleasant
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Wow, I am very sorry...

It is not common that we let down a guest in so many ways. I can only wish that you would have spoken to a manager about any of your tribulations. I did investigate your situation with the staff member who was working on the was hands. It was a 2nd day employee during lunch time. They should have contacted the other employee via walkie talkie to assist you and assumed it was ok to wait until they returned shortly. I apologize for the poor training.

I know it is easy to say that we are NOT in it for the fast buck as you state... but it is true. We can't be in it for the quick buck. No company survives with that attitude. I hope you read the many other comments shared by guests here to see that this is not common. Regarding pillows, I often get complaints they are too thick or firm too. So we certainly should have had no problem bringing you a pillow to fit your needs.

I agree it is my policy to not allow outside food companies to deliver food product to the hotel. We had challenges with this years ago regarding security and safety complaints from guests in the late night hours and of course, yes we serve pizza's from two restaurants also. But we do allow guests to pick up pizza at night from vendors at the entrance. Sorry they lost the sale in not telling you that.

I have personally taken home several soaps and used them 5 days in a row without it breaking apart. More soaps and shampoos are available anytime you may need them upon request.

Thank you for your kind words about our location and the grounds. I hope our written response to your home with compensation will encourage you to return again soon.

Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We have visited the Bavarian Inn Lodge on Labor Day weekend for the past 6 or 7 years. It has become a tradition! The Bavarian Inn Lodge is a great place to stay when you visit Frankenmuth, Michigan, since it is centrally located and the atmosphere is comfortable. We were able to get a great rate on the weekend on the internet and, we are also "Perks" club members which also have allowed us to get rates in the past. I sat on my balcony every morning, we were able to jog on the streets and paths located close by, and we also played tennis on the courts a the lodge. My daughter is 21 and she came along with us, so we all enjoyed the adult pool so much. We had always stayed in suite, but this time we had a double room with the balcony and we loved it! We had a snack and drink on the patio while we listened to live music. It was my birthday also, so I had a coupon for free meal at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant which is part of being a Perks Club member. The flat screen televisions were a great update. Our only problem was the beds. I know this a personal preference, but they were very firm. I hope that this might be a consideration for the future updates at the hotel. Otherwise, we will be back next labor day if not before!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your tradition of staying at the Lodge on labor day weekend. So pleased to hear that we are part of your family tradition and that your grown children still want to travel with you here. We commonly have 3 generations of family visiting together at the same time and so enjoy the numerous family reunions. Glad you enjoy the many benefits of the Bavarian Inn Perks Club. Regarding the firm mattresses. We basically have 3 generations of mattresses in the hotel. We would be happy to look up your previous reservation when you book and make sure you do NOT stay in a room with the same mattress type if you felt it was too firm. None of the mattresses are OLD but the styles do change. So we would be happy to work with you on that upon your return!

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My family and I have stayed at this hotel several times and love it each time. The staff is friendly, the rooms are large and clean, and the river views are beautiful. It is in a convenient location for shopping and activities, and the assorted pools are great.

Both Oma's Restaurant and the Bavarian Inn Restaurant have excellent food, great staff, and good prices.

Room Tip: Join the Perks Club for special pricing
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
So pleased that you have enjoyed your repeated stays with us at the Lodge. I will share your kind comments with the staff at an upcoming meeting. The entire team thrives and gets energized by feedback from our return guests such as you.

With kind regards,

Verona, Ky
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We booked on line and description of room said balcony overlooking court yard and parking. We had a stair case in front of our window and balcony door. Dreariest room I've ever stayed in. Balcony was a universal balcony where anyone on the level could sit there. Not at all what I expected. Great for kids but way over priced for a romantic weekend. Personnel very nice, and so was brunch. Beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank southforkky
Thank you for reserving one of our 23 whirlpool suites during your last stay. I am sorry that the view was disappointing. The room does open to the upper platz patio area but this area has very limited traffic. We felt this was a good space for a whirlpool suite as the room was more secluded, quiet and more spacious due to the design of the hotel. I am sorry that the view was a disappointment. I am please to see you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I go to the lodge all the time since I am a perks club member and I love it there. always havd something to do there and the staff treat you like family.

• Stayed May 2011
So Pleased you are enjoying the benefits of membership to the Bavarian Inn Perks Club. So glad that you enjoy your repeated visits and look forward to serving you and your family again soon!

Marion, Iowa
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The entire staff delivered the highest quality customer service! They were genuine and sincere in every way. Outstanding place to stay!!! Would definitely go back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for staying with us at the Lodge for your conference and your kind words. We look forward to "creating enjoyable experiences" for you and your family again real soon!

Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I was just there August 29th and stayed 1 night with my 4 grandchildren The Hotel and restraunts are really nice lots for the kids to do but when it comes to the rooms the beds are way to small really should be Queen size bed to be comfortable and they are very hard beds the kids did not sleep well at all and the pull out sleeper in the other room was terrible there is not much of a mattress at all to it you feel every bar and the end of the bed part if you sit there you fall right through for the price of the rooms you would like to be comfortable and it was far from it

We stayed at Zenders the night before and the beds were nice and Queen sized and not like a rock and the sofa bed was also good but the kids wanted to stay at your place for the golf and arcade but if I was to stay again I would ask to check out the room first or stay at the Zenders and just vist your arcade.

Sorry comfort is important after a day of activity

Cathy Montrose

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathy M
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. It is always helpful when we receive feedback on what we are doing well and where we can improve. I too wish i had queen sized beds in the rooms. the reality is that they physically would not fit in the guestrooms as built. All double doubles are in fact the length of a queen bed (which is 6 inches longer than a normal double bed) they just are not the width of a Queen bed.

Your room, 1040 has brand new mattresses which are Foam-X style mattresses. They are less than 5 months old. I am sorry that they were not comfortable for you. I have received numerous compliments on them as we have them in over 75 rooms of the hotel currently. I am concluding that perhaps when a hotel bed is different than any of us are accustomed to nightly at home, our bodies react to the change.

Regarding the sofa sleeper, we did find the problem. The mattress itself is very new as well. But it appears that someone has damaged the bed mechanism within the Sofa perhaps by jumping on it. I am sorry that the bent parts caused discomfort to you. We have replaced the unit with a spare and are now ordering a complete mechanism for that unit.

We will contact you to discuss how to make this up to you since you were kind enough to leave your name.

Jim Engel, GM/COO
Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!