“Nice location, but that's about the only thing good about it.”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Guest rooms seriously need some overhaul.

- HVAC unit was way too loud. You can hear/feel other room's unit rumbling while you are on your bed. It also mean that for the one in your room, it will be too much. Especially if you're on the bed closer to it.

- The room was stuffy. Had to leave the window open for a couple of hours.

- The night we stayed, fire alarm went off 3-4 times! It was only the first time that the Hotel made an announcement that it was false alarm and everything was fine and dandy. -- On consecutive false alarms, they didn't even bother to make another announcement OR ANSWER YOUR PHONE! So you never know what's happening. This is dangerous.

- Soundproofing is bad. Clientèle aren't not so good. At 4 in the morning, drunk people were yelling in the hallway, banging doors, eating chips or whatever the felt like to do.

This is and old "charming" hotel. It gives you a feeling of Bavaria or whatever, but you can just stop by, take some pics and leave. Stay in other places where you will most likely get a better sleep.

I tried wifi service in many establishments in Frankenmuth. They all appear to be served by a single provider, and they were all slow. To give Bavarian Inn some credit, Bavarian Inn wifi access, while not super fast, is significantly better comparing to all those other places.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mda1234
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for both your criticisms as well as your compliments regarding your stay during the World Expo of Beer event in Frankenmuth. I apologize for the noise complaints and fire alarm problem that occurred during your stay. That particular night was a very difficult night with multiple additional managers trying to control the sleeping environment with guests who took advantage of the WEB event listed above. We investigated the alarm situation and our procedures to avoid a repeat of the false alarms that occurred when trying to reset the systems. We would have sounded additional pages if there had been a real emergency and implemented our evacuation plan. Fortunately, there was no emergency.

Jim Engel, GM / COO
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Write a ReviewReviews (3,785)

Reviewed May 20, 2011

Our window broke so it stayed open ALL NIGHT the fire alarm kept going off at 11pm and they wouldn't tell us what happened our tv doesn't work and the guy never came back to help our heating and cooling doesn't work it fell OFF the wall. AWFUL never coming back

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank xxforever15xx
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Forever,

That said, I am so very sorry for so many things that went wrong with your stay. It is almost uncanny that so many things could go wrong at once. I suspect the fire alarm problem that kept tripping caused my maintenance team from neglecting the thermostat problem. I make no excuses but assure you that we don't have these kind of problems separately happen, yet alone to any one guest. Hundreds of reviews since you will attest to that.

We hope that you will consider a return visit and thank you for your past patronage and sharing your constructive criticism on this site.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

The Bavarian Inn Lodge is by far the best in town. I've only stayed there twice, but I love this place. The first time I visited this fine establishment was for our 1st anniversary; we got a suite that was part of the romantic package that was offered with tons of extras. The second time we stayed there, we just rolled into town without any reservations and they were more than happy to accommodate us. My daughter had a blast. There are soo many things for kids to do there.

It's a way better value than Zehnders which only has the waterpark any a tiny arcade, but they charge alot more for less to do.

I could go on and on about all the great things about the Bavarian Inn, but take my advice and give them a try. Make sure to sign up for their Perks Club too. Awesome !!!!

P.s. The management and staff are the friendliest people I've ever met. I also like how the manager personally replies to reviews on tripadvisor, whether it's a positive or negative review. This, by far, shows that this establishment really cares about their customers and their satisfaction. Keep up the great work guys !!!!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank MonroeMIcritic

Dear Monroe,

First, my apology for the very late response to your review of the Bavarian Inn Lodge from 2011. We learned of a new tool that helps you see reviews you have not responded to, so I am responding nearly two years later. I am even more embarassed as I see you complimented ME on responding to reviews and then yours didn't show up right away and I didn't know it!!! So sorry!!!

That said, Thank You so much for your review and king words. We have made significant strides in replacing mattresses, adding two water slides, remodeling in most of our guestrooms, adding a four pillow (soft / firm) pillow sets to every bed and so much more.

We hope that you will consider a return visit and thank you for your past patronage and this review,

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We have been staying at the Bavarian Inn twice a year for the last five years. We have never had an issue with the Lodge. The staff has always been very friendly and accomodating. Our rooms have always been clean. In fact, each time we are there, we comment on how immaculate the entire place is. Our children talk about our visits well after we are gone and are always look forward to returning. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially to those with small children.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheri B

Dear TheJudge,

Reviewed April 24, 2011

We booked quite a few rooms for my daughter's wedding. Her room was supposedly the "honeymoon suite" and it was not very nice..esp for the price. She kindly asked for a room change before the other guests and the weekend arrived. The manager was curt and not understanding and needless to say it wasn't changed. I believe this is inpart due to poor reservation services. I was on hold and trnsferred at least 3 times every time I called and she said that a peerson not normally taking reservations booked her room. My sis ter and herhusband needed a handicap room. She got one...on the second floor!! Not good if there is a fire!
We also met several other people there that were equally dissatisfied with their rooms.

Room Tip: better hotels in the area
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knitngal

Thank you for taking the time to share your displeasure with the room types received and offered within your room block. I am sorry that you were treated in any manner other than hospitable. There is no reason to be short or curt with a person who is disappointed. Unfortunately, I have not been able to identify the manager or people involved. Usually our sales manager would arrange wedding rooms. No one in group sales is aware of any disappointed bride with our suites. My sincere apology and if you care to contact me directly to discuss I would greatly appreciate it!

Jim Engel, GM / COO

Reviewed April 23, 2011

I went to this hotel with high expectations. The room was small, furniture all crowded down by the window. The bathroom was not big enough for a flea. The room was not clean behind the furniture. The temperature control could not be adjusted.
The screen was coming off of the window. The walls in the hallways were scruffed.
For all their bragging, it was not what I pictured. The location of our room was at the end and the balcony rooms could see into our rooms. I have been to much finer hotels than this. I wrote a e-mail, said they would forward my remarks to the management, have not heard a word. Also, I left a book there and I called twice and have not received any response. I like amenties and I did not have any. They need to spruce up this motel. Also, the staff never asked on check out if everything was okay or if I had a nice stay. Well oiled machine made to make money. Also, if you book from the hotels site, the money is taken immediately. They also charge 25.00 for cancellation fees. If going to this motel do not book from their site go to Orbitz or Travelocity. My room number was 218. The grounds were beautiful and Omas restaurant was a nice experience.
Cheryl Boyle
Sharon Goemaere

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank elephant42

Dear Elephant42,

That said, I am so sorry for the problems you had back in April, 2011. There is no excused for an unclean room or a screen not being attached properly. Regarding the bathroom, our owner, also a women decided she wanted the vanities placed outside of the toilet/shower area and stands firm that she made the right decision so the mirror is not fogged up when one person is showering and another wants to put on make-up or shave.

We have made extensive changes to the Lodge since your stay and hope you may reconsider a return visit. Our cancellation fee still stands but we do allow guests to reschedule a date well into the future to avoid the fee. We simply had to implement this policy due to hundreds and hundreds of people holding rooms throughout a year an cancelling them last minute then they sat empty. That hurt the Lodge financially, but it also hurt the people turned away who were not allowed to book that room. This policy has eliminated the folks who were casual bookers who often forget to cancel, get charged a no-show and are too upset. It made the problem virtually go away.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

I read the other reviews and I was going in with low expectations. With that in mind it wasn't so bad. The room was so-so, it could have been worse. The staff was very pleasant. The pools and hot tubs had TOO MUCH chlorine. The hot tubs made our eyes burn instantly. The pools gave all of us rashes and were cold. Also the pools were so packed that all you could really do was stay in your little spot. It was so incredibly noisy and NOT relaxing at all. The little cafe next to the putt putt does have really good pizza. The 'fitness' room was pretty gross. It stunk and most of the equipment didn't work. Our trip was a little get away over spring break and our 10 year old was not very thrilled at all. We can say..been there, done that, but once is enough. Frankenmuth is fine, it's just the next time we'll stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Bbetter
jimengel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2011

I am so sorry that you were disappointed during your Spring Break stay at the Lodge. I do agree, it was shockingly busy the entire school break week. The volume of children in the hotel has not been at this level in the past 4 years! So I concur that the hotel was "hopping" and can understand the crowding you experienced in the pools. This is a very rare circumstance. They are not this crowded in summer nor were they this crowded during Christmas break. That said, I never witnessed it so crowded that guests were not able to move around. I am sorry that you experienced this. The chemical levels in the pools are monitored twice mid-day and adjusted and also adjusted overnight. With the very heavy bather load, there is a stronger odor, known as chloromines. (the gas dissipated into the air when chlorine does its job). We actually run a 4 foot fan in the area where we have 3 pools together at night to help combat this challenge, plus adjust the chemical levels to safe levels 3 times every day. I am happy to hear you had no issues with the water temperature during your stay, as all pools are heated.

i do not see any manager report addressing these particular disappointments during school break. In the future, don't hesitate to approach any manager to express any disappointment you are experiencing. We would enjoy the opportunity to make things right immediately while you are here.

Also, don't hesitate to ask a reservationist if you are booking during a very busy time in the hotel, we usually can tell this is occurring we can steer you to slower dates where the hotel is more quiet with less traffic.

Jim Engel, GM / C.O.O.
Bavarian Inn Lodge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!