“Relaxing stay at Bavarian Inn Lodge”
Review of Bavarian Inn Lodge

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Livonia,MI
“Relaxing stay at Bavarian Inn Lodge”
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I booked an overnight stay on a Sunday night using my Perks discount. I chose a whirlpool suite because my latest Perks mailer had a blurb about their newly updated whirlpool suites, with multi-spray showers and whirlpools with lights(!!??!!)
I booked through the Perks section of the hotel website, and chose a suite that had a river view. None of the listings online specified an "updated suite", so I planned to call ahead and make sure I got one. Well, I never called, and on arrival I found out that all the "new" suites were taken or still being worked on. No big deal.....I will just have to go back and try one out !!! I did end up with a very nice suite, anyway....the whirlpool tub was actually large enough for 2 people, unlike some places I've seen that advertise "2 person whirlpool" and you could maybe fit 2 9-year-olds. Since I was by myself, it was very roomy & relaxing. The king size bed was heaven!! I had a shared balcony overlooking the river, which would probably be very noisy on a busy day, but was great for reading & relaxing on a Sunday evening.
Another great thing about a Sunday night stay is....NO CROWDS.
I have previously stayed on Fridays and/or Saturdays, which can get crazy. I had dinner at Oma's, and it was practically deserted at 5pm, while Zehnder's & Bavarian Inn were packed due to it being Sunday and a warm day to boot. I went down to use the pool at 7:30pm, and there were times when I was the only person in the pool or hot tub. There was a convention of some sort going on in the conference center Monday morning, so there were people around, but NOTHING like a Fri. or Sat.. Shopping on the main street on Monday morning was also much less hectic!
All in all, a very good experience.... next time I will call ahead and get one of those refinished suites !!!!

• Liked — Everything in one place!
  • Disliked — Water pressure in shower a bit wimpy!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank kelivonia
jimengel, Jim Engel, Chief Operating Officer at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, December 26, 2007
Thank you for your kind words about the Bavarian Inn Lodge. I am sorry that you did not recieve the whirlpoolsuite type that you anticipated when you booked on line. We do have our suites broken out into various types and it appears that the online descriptions are not clear. For this I am very sorry and we will recify that description for future reference.

I am glad you found your visit peaceful and relaxing. We do in fact have many more families on weekends with a larger mix of children, but we do work very hard and staff heavier to help manage the children who may be unsupervised in hallways and public areas.

If you are ever wondering if a specific day is anticipated to be busy or more peaceful in the future, our reservationists have a good feel for that. You could also ask for me personally and I can identify slow & quiet dates with ease.

Thanks again!

Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
Macomb, MI
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I had actually decided to stay at Zehnders on this visit but had a great experience eating at the Bavarian Inn. I would have preferred staying at Bavarian as well but decided that my 5-year old might prefer the water slides that Zehnders has to offer.

I am a Bavarian Perks Club member and had some free gift certificates to use so I decided to take my son for dinner at the Bavarian Inn for the first of our 2-night stay. We ended up being seated quickly and our waitress was a pleasant young lady named Lindsey (I didn't get her last name).

I've eaten at the Bavarian Inn many times but what made this visit stand out was how our waitress treated my son. It started out with his Cherry Lemonade where she placed two cherries on the straw. Then came the soup, she filled his bowl with noodles (his favorite) and brought a short glass of ice cubes in case the broth was too hot. These might seem like small details but I'm sure any parents out there reading this can appreciate the difference a server can make on the parents' dining experience by helping out with the kids.

The same level of service continued throughout the dinner. Our original plan was to have dinner at Zehnder's the following night. Instead, we decided to go back to Bavarian. We asked for Lindsey but she wasn't working. Our waitress was quite pleasant and the food was good. I was curious as to whether or not the special added touch was a Bavarian Inn thing or just our waitress and the later was confirmed.

Bottom line...if you go and have kids, I suggest you ask for Lindsey.

I'll rate my stay at Zehnder's when a get a few minutes in the near future.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank alt_kid
Thank you for your kind words about Lindsey, server at Bavarian Inn Restuarant. I will print out and share your comments with the Bavarian Inn Zehnder family at an upcoming Board of Directors meeting plus with Lindsey directly. I am so pleased when a team member goes the extra mile to make a guest experience memorable!

Also, Thank you for being a Perks Club member. I hope you have an opportunity to visit the Lodge again in the near future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 19, 2007

There is lots to do here, plenty of activities and restaurants. The location can't be beat, close to shopping, the covered bridge, and the riverboat tour. A very kid-friendly place.
We ate at one of the restaurants (can't remember the exact name, but the sports-bar type one) Order a monkey coconut drink! What a great souvenir! Avoid the "famous chicken dinners" yuk
But the hotel room was not up to par. It was dirty, and we had to call the front desk to have our sheets replaced.
There is a balcony/walkway from all the rooms on the 2nd floor to some covered steps to the parking lot. There was garbage everywhere, and smelled like pee! It obviously hadn't been cleaned in a long time.
Everything was old, and dirty, stained carpets. We had upgraded to a whirlpool suite, but never used it, the whirlpool looked dirty.

• Stayed May 2007
2 Thank Wanderlust_417
Thank you for taking the time to post details regarding your May stay at the Lodge. Thank you for the positive comments regarding the family based activities, our location and proximity to all the great things to see and do in Frankenmuth and dining options.

I am sorry that you personally noted not liking the famous Frakenmuth Chicken. I would presume that you do not like chicken at all of any kind. We serve over 325 tons of Chicken at Bavarian Inn and Zehnders Restaurant serves another 300+ tons of chicken each year. So our consistency and quality of chicken cannot be beat. But I agree, we do have many other wonderful entrees available for lunch or dinner portions. American favorites but also German fare is popular - including Wienerschnitzel, Kassler Ripchen, homade bratwurst, mettwurst or weisswurst and of course Sauer Braten.

I am very sorry that your guestroom was not up to standard. We have a team of over 100 housekeepers that go through extensive training on cleanliness. In life, there is new dirt and old dirt. We have 10 people who are inspecting guestrooms regularly and we do not have old dirt, or worn carpet, as your statement claims. However, if damage occurred (such as an iron burn) or spills from a previous guest that were not addressed, I can see where that presumption would occur. We perpetually renovate our rooms. We are replacing carpet in 150 guestrooms in January 2008. We replaced over 100 mattress sets this past Fall along with many lamps and chairs. So, if any of these areas were what impacted your stay, I apologize and can assure you many upgrades occur on an ongoing basis.

But we replace carpet and items before the "ugly out". I am quite perplexed on your comments of cleanliness in the Platz area near the balconies as these outdoor areas are cleaned daily?

Thank you for your comments!

fenton,michigan
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We booked 2 rooms and stayed the weekend of Oct 13th. They had activities pertaining to Halloween for the kids in the fun center. All the staff members were great,rooms were clean,nothing fancy,but we spent most of our time in the Family Fun Center anyways. Our check in and Check out was quick.I will go here again,plan on trying for New Years.If you want a fun weekend for your whole family,Then this is the place!!

• Liked — Indoor fun center,and water park
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Karin71
Thank you for your kind words about our Halloween Events. I am so pleased that your children enjoyed them. We do special events such as these at many diffeent times of the year.

We are also tickled to see you traveled from Fenton - less then 40 minutes away. It is nice to know we can provide entertaining experiences for families so close to home!

Hope you come back soon!

DETROIT
Reviewed September 1, 2007

My Daughter was here for a seminar and brought Me and Her 1 1/2 year old baby with her. We had a family suite on the Family level. Room 1040. 2 Double beds with a living room with pull out bed/couch. Funny, but you had to walk past the beds to get to the sitting room, we thought that to be odd. There was a small porch with chairs and a huge grassy area and small playground off the sitting room.

Check in took a while. We had a suite reserved and my Daughter had called earlier in the week to check if we could have late check out since the seminar ended at 4 pm and she would have the baby. The lady assured her it would be no problem however when we were checking in the lady at the desk said that may not be possible. Great, what now. The lady at the desk was very nice and looked into getting a double and paying for 2 nights. I didn't like the idea but it was my daughter's deal, I was there to watch the baby. We ended up just staying with the suite and taking our chances. My Daugher was somewhat stressed worrying what we would do for 4 hours if the room wasn't available, and it was nap time as well, that 's why se called ahead to make sure. I told her don't worry, it will be fine.

We unpacked and took the shuttle to the restaurant. The baby loved riding on the shuttle, not having to be strapped into a car seat (she was for 1 1/2 hour ride there) the shuttle was slow moving and that was perfect. Our dinner at the Bavarian restaurant was outstanding. We got the full dinner with all the trimmings. Slyvia was our waitress and she did a fantastic job. The baby had fun keeping all the people around us entertained. Everyone was friendly and did a great job.

After dinner we strolled up and down the main street checking out all the shops. Of course we bought fudge (8.42 for 1 1/2 pieces) and taffy. We walked back to wait for the shuttle and there was a band playing polka in the courtyard. So we sat there and watched all the old ladies dancing together. My grandbaby got out on the dance floor and danced when they played "roll out the barrals" we about died laughing. One of the old gals held her hand out to the baby and she took it and danced with them. What a way to end the night.

Got back to the room changed into pj's and walked around checking out the game rooms. This is a Kid's dream come true. There is so much to do and see. Games galore, like a kid's las vegas room. To overwhelming for the baby. We went back to the room and ordered dessert and milk for the baby's bottle. The beds were very nice and comfortable.

Had breakfast in the hotel. I ordered the buffet, but because of a meltdown the baby decided to have I never got to eat. My Daughter had to go and I told the waitress I never got to eat from the buffet, she just kind of shrugged her shoulders and said "I noticed that" but she never took the 8.75 charge off our bill. I didn't bother to dispute anymore at that point since I had to take the baby back to the room in a hurry. I thought that was unfair.

When we got up that morning, our bill was under the door with a note attached saying we could stay in our room for 50.00 more until 4 pm, They had other prices for other late check out times. Now I know why the front desk wouldn't commit, they wanted the additional charge. All they had to do was tell us, because my daughter paid that extra charge so I could keep the room until 4 pm. And yes, the baby got her nap.

We had a ball in the pools. Mommy worked and we played. I thought the waterguns were a fab idea. The baby pool was great. They close the pools down everyday for 2 hours to clean and refilter the water. I thought that was an excellent idea. Inside putt putt golf too.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel. It was very clean, everyone was super nice. And it's a great place to take your family. One side note, take a lot of cash. Everything is expensive.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank THERESA
Thank you for your kind words about both the Bavarian Inn Restaurant and the Bavarian Inn Lodge. It is so nice hearing about a 3 generation visit that exceeded your expectations in so many way.

Regarding late checkout - that is a difficult task for us. We have literally hundreds of rooms requested - specific room numbers each day. Also a combination of one, two or three day stays. It is difficult to assure that a specific guestroom can be available for a late checkout for these various reasons. When a room isn't occupied the next day, we have elected to slip notes under guestroom doors offering late checkout - in the event that it may work for the guest. Yes, there is a fee - it is like a day-rent of a guestroom. But we can never be assured of that opportunity until late the night before.

I am sorry that this caused confusion, but glad that it worked out in the end for you. I would presume that at check-in they may have checked and your room wasn't available the next day, but perhaps a cancellation occurred. Rooms sold can vary every 15 minutes of the day on many future dates - like the stock market going up and down!

Thanks again for the many positive affirmations!

Kindly,

Jim Engel
michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I have three kids 9-8-6yr old. We stayed here on July 29-July 31. We had a family suite which was a perfect size for the six of us. We also got the view we wanted of the cass river and right on the same floor as the family fun center. There are so much to do here. We played putt-putt, swam a lot(the kids really loved the water guns), I loved the whirlpool. The kids had a lot of the fun with the games. The staff was very helpful. This was such a great trip we are planning on going back during the kids winter break. I would recommend this place to anyone who has kids. It truly worth the price you pay.

• Liked — So many things to do, 5pools, games, putt-putt
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank fam3mich
Jim_Engel, General Manager at Bavarian Inn Lodge, responded to this review, June 26, 2015
Dear Fam3mich,

I learned a short time ago that I can reach back into the earliest posts on Trip Advisor and respond to all guests who have posted. My apologies for a delayed reply but I wanted to thank you for your feedback posted back in 2007.

So glad that you had a great experience that July! We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear the family suite suited your needs just right. Hopefully you did have an opportunity to return to the Lodge since. We have added two water slides that I am sure your growing children would still enjoy. We hope to serve your family for years to come.

With Sincere Appreciation,

michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2007

I stayed at the barvarian Inn Lodge for four days 3 nights for a grandaughter-grandmother get away with a girlfriend and our 5 year old granddaughters.The building is great 4 pools for the little ones (1 adult pool)Putt putt golf and a beautiful view of river if you are lucky enough to get a room with a view. The only con I have is the staff, most do not know where things are or hotels policies (this is on the phone and at the inn). The food sevice is a little slow but would be easy to bear if staff smiled at least once while you were dining or being waited on! Ratskeller on the fun center floor,would be okay also twice I went no one to wait on you for breakfast, she or he had errand to run?I would recommend this hotel to others because it is a nice place for a get away!

• Liked — I likes that everything in one place and shuttle to town
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank MichiganO
Thank you for your kind words as well as your advice in areas of improvement. I am so sorry that you had circumstances where my staff didn't appear happy and were not attentive. I will share this situation with the appropriate managers and team members in our food departments. Communication is a huge challenge when you have over 300 staff members, but we continue to develop new ways to clarify and communicate policy and try to make sure that the "left hand" knows what the "right hand" is doing.

Again, I apologize for slow or apathetic service. There is never a good excuse for this and I will continue to work hard to change this for your future stays as well as those of all guests.

It is my pleasure to be in my 31st year of service to the Bavarian Inn Zehnder family and I enjoy meeting guests like you at the Lodge each and every day.

Thank you for taking the time to help me build a better team!

Bavarian Inn Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to Bavarian Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!