“I agree with other reviewers that it needs more shops”

Frankenmuth River Place Shops
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Frankenmuth
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy over 40 unique shops and attractions in this authentic re-creation of a Bavarian village. Fun for the whole family!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 15, 2010

When we were in Frankenmuth recently, we decided to pay a visit to River Place. Our main reason to go to Frankenmuth was in order for my wife to see Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, but we stopped at River Place as it is right next to the Bavarian Inn hotel where we stayed. According to the locals with whom we spoke, River Place is on the site of a brewery that had gone out of business, and the land was converted to shops by someone in the Zehnder family (who own much of Frankenmuth, although it is not just one branch of the family who has the ownership interests).

We had picked up a brochure about River Place when we were in Michigan 2 years ago, and before we went to Frankenmuth I looked at the current listing of shops and was surprised how much turnover there had been in just 2 years. Undoubtedly the lousy economy had a lot to do with it. We spent a little bit of time there, and the only shop in which we spent more than a couple of minutes was the pewter shop. If the shops had been more interesting, we would have spent more time there. However, in defense of River Place, someone with different interests might have found a lot of shops to their liking.

It should be noted that the Bavarian Belle, a riverboat, leaves from River Place. We took a tour on it, and it was nothing special either. It takes you on an hour tour of the Cass River, with a narrative about the area. Unfortunately, there is not much to see from the boat as you are making your way along the river.

If you are in Frankenmuth and have time to kill, River Place is worth a look, but before you go there visit Bronner's, as well as the shops that are located in the basements of the Bavarian Inn Restaurant and Zehnder's Restaurant.

5  Thank GoPenguins

Reviewed April 29, 2010

We recently went to Frankenmuth and we visted the River Place Shopping area - There are a great deal of empty shops. I loved how it was all together and my husband and Dad could sit and watch as my mom and I went from place to place - but I thought they could use some more shops

Reviewed January 30, 2010

As a repeat visitor to Frankenmuth's River Place, I am disappointed in the variety of stores they have there now. Maybe they should lower the rent and bring in some new, fresh, unique stores that I am sure would liven the place up and promote more tourist (and local) traffic. I asked a couple of store workers (one owner) and they said the rent was very high. So-hello owners of this shopping experience? The landscaping during summer is always very nice. Plenty of benches. Plenty of trash cans (hey-seems I am always looking for these when we visit places...lol). Parking is decent. But until I read or hear about them improving the variety of stores, then I won't be visiting again.

1  Thank tymetraveler222
Reviewed September 20, 2009

The general economic conditions most likely are effecting this shopping area. The location and general appearance are pleasant but there are open store areas and nothing real special about the exisitng stores.

2  Thank 18_20
Reviewed April 9, 2009

The whole family (me, my wife, and two kids ages 10 and 6) thought the House of Mirrors was cool. It's around $7 per person and you can go in again and again all day long. We probably went through a dozen times.

As for the rest of River place, I'm not a shopper so for me it was of limited appeal. That said it wasn't all bad as I could enjoyed the spring air over a beer ($3 for a 10 oz glass) at the River Bar patio, while the rest of the bunch shopped for beads, candles, and other stuff I just don't get.

2  Thank MichiganFloyd