“Don't stay here unless you don't mind being locked out of the room you paid for.”

Holiday Inn Express Flint
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Flint
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here on Tuesday February 25th. I had reservations for the 24th and 25th. I understood that would mean a 2 night charge. I arrived at about 7am on the 25th and checked into the room on the 4th floor. I put my bags and computer in the room, freshened up and headed out to a conference I was attending for two days. I returned at 5:30 pm and went to my room, but the key wouldn't work. I went back down to the desk and told Corey at the front desk. He said sometimes the key will get demagnetized and he reactivated it for me. I went back up, the door still wouldn't unlock. Corey said it must be the key, so he made a new one. I went back up (I was carrying my carryout dinner, coat and briefcase this whole time) still would not unlock. I was frustrated by now having hauled all my stuff up and down the elevator 3 times now. I went back down and Corey said he would go up with me and try a key from the desk. When we got there, Corey tried several times to no avail. I was locked out of my room. We went back to the lobby where Corey called his manager. He came to tell me a few minutes later that they had to call in someone from maintenance to unlock the door and it would be about 20-30 minutes. Corey offered to let me go to a different room to wait. I said if it was only 20-30 minutes, I would just wait in the lobby, since all my bags were in the locked room, that was a mistake. Over an hour later, Corey finally told me the maintenance guy couldn't get the room open and they had to call in another guy. A few minutes later another employee at registration told me they had another room for me where I could wait until they got the room open, I took her up on it that time because it was nearly two hours and my food was long since cold. She told me she would put me in a jacuzzi room, but I told it I had no interest in an upgraded room as I wouldn't use the jacuzzi. I told her I was so upset that I was just about ready to get my things, and drive back home for the night and drive back the next day for the rest of my conference. I told her I expected that I would not be charged for one of the nights. She prepared a key for my new room and put it in the envelope which she had written the room number on. It was room 530. Okay, I go up in the elevator to the 5th floor, still hauling all my stuff. All the way at the end was room 530. I put the key in the slot....yellow light...door still locked. I tried again, same thing but this time, I thought I heard movement behind the door. I tried again, and I clearly heard someone lock the door from inside, so I decided to knock. Someone answered and said "what do you want?" I said "I've been given this room, is it already occupied?" The voice responded "yeah, this is my room". I apologized. So now I slog my tired, weary self all the way back to the lobby. I told the girl that the guy in 530 wasn't happy that I was trying to get into his room. She responded "I told you to go to 430!" I told her she never told me where to go, and showed her the envelope where she wrote 530 on it. She was very embarassed , and apologized. She could tell I was not happy. She double checked the key and promised me it was for 430. I went to 430, entered without a problem and turned on the TV. I had nothing else to do since all my belongings were locked in another room. About 45 minutes later, I received a call that the other room was open and I could get my things. She said they were holding the door open and if it closed they didn't know how long it would take to get open again. I went immediately to get my things. It had been over 3 hours I was locked out of a room that was PAID FOR. The gentleman who opened the room asked me what they could do to make it right. I was so frustrated, I didn't want anything. He said, what do you want, really? I said well I expect to not pay for one of my nights and maybe a voucher for a future stay. He agreed, and I said can I expect that to be ready when I check out in the morning? He said it would be taken care of. When I checked out the next morning, the receipt showed only one night, so I was satisfied. When I asked about the voucher, the desk clerk said she didn't know anything about it. She offered to check with the manager, but I didn't have time to wait. I got a message later asking me to call back to arrange the voucher. A week later and my employer is questioning why there is 2 nights charged to the credit card when I said one was comped. So, I called the hotel, to get the charge removed and claim my voucher. Katy answered the phone and I explained the situation. She put me on hold to check with the manager. It seems everyone I talked to during this whole situation was not authorized to comp anything. I still have to pay for 2 nights, even locked out 3 hrs. I protested, she said its not their fault the lock failed. Huh? Who wants a voucher that is only good at this location? I will never stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Allen B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Paris, France
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is really a place to stay when there are no other options. The Furniture of the room is from 1973. Missing lightbulbs from wall sconces... and the refrigerator has no nob so you can't tell what temperature level it's at nor lower it before your food freezes. The microwave had no carousel ring so the glass plate just tipped over constantly. Finally the maintenance man came (in his flip-flops during winter) and replaced the microwave with another that was almost as bad. he found a fridge knob that falls off if you look at it but at least can tell you what it's set at. The front desk didn't even know the last name of their front desk manager coming the next day nor their General Manager who was also going to be there! Never coming here again, God willing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Texpat75
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Texpat75,

Ben J
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Flint hotels

McAllen, United States
Reviewed December 27, 2013

this was a nice stay after several days of training. there is not much to do in the down town area here. you must drive out. the staff was helpful the room clean and standard services for this hotel - not a new unit

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank StephStx
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Standard Holiday Inn Express, room 321 is average size, two queen beds, only drawback is right near the elevator and ice machines. Room was decorated well, was obviously not built as an HIE, but was renovated to be one. Heat worked well, bathroom clean, yet needed a bit of maintenance. Wallpaper edges not clean, shower faucet works backwards and the tube spigot tile is broken. Noise was minimal.

Norma Jean, who works the breakfast buffet, is a superstar. She held her own with a busload of people all trying to get breakfast at the same time as the other guests, with a line sometimes 10 deep, she kept filling, running and insuring guests were getting what they wanted. She stood out as an amazing employee, and when talking to her (she kept the overflow breakfast room going too) she mentioned that she loves to be busy and that her son works there too in security.

Some notes about the area... If staying here be aware there is no on-site restaurant and none in the immediate vicinity, so a car or taxi ride will be necessary to get food. There are a lot of good restaurants a 10 minute drive, but none withing walking distance. Hotel is right by the Michigan's Flint Campus, and a short drive from other area schools and downtown flint.

Would definitely stay again, this time hopefully not on black Friday (the busload of tourists was for Canadians who came to Michigan to black friday shop). The elevators were always packed with the busload moving around when we were. Overall a standard HIE experience, but Norma Jean helped make it special.

Room Tip: 321 was right at elevator... stay at least 3-4 numbers away to keep noise down from ice machines
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fistandantalus
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I checked in late to the hotel (11:30 pm) and by 9:00AM, my car had been broken into despite having security guard on duty at the time of check-in. When reviewing the damage one of the clerks indicated that she noticed the damage at 7:00am but I wasn't told about the break-in until 9:00AM. The vehicle was parked in front of the hotel and was in clear view of the front lobby. They only response was that you park at your own risk. There were about 10 cars in the parking lot and it took them over two hours to contact me in the room. It was raining as well so the inside of the vehicle was soaked as well. My advise to anyone is to stay there at their own risk and avoid the hotel completely.

Room Tip: Stay away from any hotels in the downtown area of Flint.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flint, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear UBYIDIDIT,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to being of further assistance.

Ben J
IHG Care
Walton, Ontario
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A friend and I who were shopping at the factory outlets at Great Lakes Crossing and Birch Run chose this hotel as all the hotels at Birch Run were either full or too expensive this weekend. This HI Express was the most reasonably priced in the area ($99 for a room with 2 queen beds) and available at the last minute. (Could have got a room in Birch Run, but the rate was quoted at $160, which is ridiculous for a room that would usually be under $100... but the weekends before Christmas are very busy ones at the outlet malls, so prices increase.)
Breakfast was good and exactly what you would expect from any HI Express. Both the front desk staff and the breakfast room attendant were personable and polite. Gina from the front desk called up to the room just after we arrived to check to see if we needed anything, which was a nice touch. The room was spacious, pleasantly decorated and very clean, as were the common areas. The beds were very comfortable. We would be pleased to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was a very nice and clean place. I was very comfortable and relaxed. I would totally recommend!!! They had a continental breakfast in the morning that was very good also. I most likely would return.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flint
Hampton Inn and Suites Flint / Grand Blanc
BEST WESTERN Flint Airport Inn & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Flint
#5 of 17 in Flint
Courtyard Flint Grand Blanc
Wingate By Wyndham Flint / Grand Blanc

Been to Holiday Inn Express Flint? Share your experiences!