“WiFi???”
Review of Holiday Inn Flint

Holiday Inn Flint
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Flint
Reviewed June 26, 2011

A pleasant, safe location with good nearby restaurants. Slo-o-o-o-w checkin. Nice room and bath with quite confortable bed. Despite housekeeping's failure to do everything properly each day, the room and bath were clean and in good repair. The hotel restaurant was much better than I expected and I ate dinner there each of the four nights of my stay. It is not overpriced....dinner and a bottle of imported beer was $15-20. The hotel advertizes free wireless internet. I was unable to connect the Holiday Inn site but I could connect to The Courtyard which is across the parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank allowat

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed in adjoining rooms--one with two double beds, one with a king and a pull-out sofa we never used. I called ahead about the adjoing rooms and am glad I did (and encourage anyone needing adjoing rooms to do so!). We were in town for my father-in-law's funeral, so our reservations were last minute, but my call directly to the hotel (and recaching a real person) after booking through the Priority Club site paid off. (As a side note, I booked the rooms on Priority Club points--they had a major point-saver deal--without checking the price of the rooms, so my assessment below on value is predicated on that.)

The hotel (lobby, restaurant, halls, rooms) is quite lovely and clean and, most important, in a safe area of town. The rooms were spotless and updated. The air conditioning in the king room was powerful (I like it cold, and it was!), but the a/c in the double-bedded room didn't work until the second day when maintenance fixed it. We would have reported it when we checked in but were on the fly (after a two-day drive) to the funeral home.

Our check-in was a very, very slow and, under the circumstances, frantic process, and I could see no Priority Club Priority check-in. Fortunately, one of the would-be patrons who was asking a lot of questions kindly stepped aside when I frantically asked about checking in and explained our urgency (while my children were changing clothes in the lobby bathroom). The woman who checked us in happened to be the same woman with whom I'd spoken about adjoining rooms when I had called. I am still shaking my head because each time I spoke with her, on the phone or in person, she varied from curt, bordering on rude, to courteous and helpful and back--all in the same conversation.

I also spoke to her when we returned just before midnight the first night and reported the a/c problem in the one room. She said she would notify engineering, but at 4:00 the next day when we returned from the funeral to change clothes and leave again, housekeeping was working on our end of the floor and had already cleaned the king room but not the other. I spoke to the housekeeper about the a/c in the other room, and he had no record of my complaint and called maintenance himself. The maintenance man, who also had no record of my complaint/request, arrived before we were even finished changing, and by the time we returned much later, he had fixed the problem. (As a side note, the hotel was full, mostly with a wedding, so the late housekeeping was understandable and not a problem for us.)

Our nieces stayed next door, across a shared parking lot, at a Courtyard by Marriott, which seems to be owned by the same people who own the Holiday Inn, and they declared it quite lovely and very nice and had no complaints about the staff.

Because so many hotels these days are veritable cookie-cutouts, it truly is the staff who make the difference. When the front desk staff is curt instead of courteous, especially upon check in, it can sour the stay, no matter how lovely and clean the property. Fortunately for us, the rest of the staff with whom we interacted--including the housekeeper, the maintenance man, and the waitstaff in the restaurant--seemed to have only one personality, and that one was courteous, pleasant, and helpful.

Because the hotel is lovely and immaculate and in a safe area, we would stay at the Holiday Inn Flint again. Perhaps by then the front desk staff will have undergone training or re-training in custome service.

Room Tip: If you're seeking adjoining rooms, call ahead!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I’ve stayed at this hotel a couple of times before when I was in the region either to fly out of Bishop International Airport or for business on the outskirts of metro Detroit.

For starters, it’s improved since my original review of June 2009 -- mostly because of recent Holiday Inn-mandated renovations. Back then, the hotel was showing its age.

As with before, I was able to get a good rate ($50) through Priceline’s name your price option. The lowest published rate I found was $75, which was a government rate. When I checked in, I received a coupon valued at either 10% or 15% (I forget which) off the hotel’s in-house restaurant.

The recent renovations are nice, though a few amenities that other renovated Holidays Inns feature -- namely the flat-screen televisions -- were missing.

My room was mostly clean, though the bathroom floor could have used a better cleaning from the maid. I don’t think the maid cleaned behind the toilet or underneath the sink counter, as I found some human hair. Speaking of the bathroom, I was also missing some of the complimentary toiletries that are generally provided as well. That was quickly solved as a maid’s cart was still in my hallway when I checked in, so I raided it for what was missing.

The rest of the room had been renovated to the new Holiday Inn look with the exception being the television. I had a very old television. I’d date it at least 10-15 years, if not older. The picture quality was horrible, but the channel selection was wide-reaching. I spent most of my time on the wireless internet, which unlike some hotel chains was free. The connection’s speed wasn’t great for video, but it was more than sufficient for e-mail, web surfing and Facebook use. With respect to sleep quality, the bed in my room was very comfortable and I slept great, which isn’t always the case at hotels.

The hotel’s restaurant is what it is. Some of the offerings are rather overpriced, but others (burgers, pizza, etc.) are competitively priced. If you have a corporate expense account, save your time and eat at the hotel. The steaks sounded delicious, but were a bit expensive for me especially when there’s a large steakhouse across the street. There is also a large supermarket (Meijer’s) about two minutes away by car along with a couple of fast-food options (McDonald’s, Subway).

The fitness room is well equipped and overlooks the pool, which I didn’t use but looked nice.

All in all, this Holiday Inn has improved itself with the recent renovations, but could still do more to improve its overall quality.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank planetraincar
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Everyone in this hotel was friendly and very helpful. The Director of Sales and Marketing made a special effort to meet us and corrected a small oversite by the front desk.
Being a priority club member was a bonus as they had free snacks and drinks this evening. Rooms are clean and quiet. We used their park and stay option and it works quite well.
We have stayed here in the past and certainly will in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwimmer
richmor0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Dear gwimmer,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel & staff. It's our pleasure to offer you great Holiday Inn service & I am so glad our friendly staff treated you like family!

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and for reviewing our hotel. I hope you can come back for another visit soon!

Your friends at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre

Reviewed April 14, 2011

We took our two children 11 & 15 to Holiday Inn for the evening. We were very excited to have a poolside room. Our stay was very enjoyable. The pool area was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
richmor0, General Manager at Holiday Inn Flint, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

Dear Kelly25M,

I'm Randall Richmond, general manager at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre Flint, MI. Thank you for your positive feedback! I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed our hotel & pool. Thank you for chosing to stay with us and reviewing our hotel. I hope you can come back for another visit soon!

Randall & your friends at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre Flint, MI

Reviewed April 5, 2011

We came into town to visit with our family for the holiday's. It was such a wonderful experience. The staff in every department treated us like family...maybe better. They met and exceeded our every need. Housekeeping was over the top. Actually everyone was. The restaurant was also good. Location is convenient. We look forward to staying there again this week and in the future. Thanks Holiday Inn Gateway Centre!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear RMCoates,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel & staff. It's our pleasure to offer you great Holiday Inn service & I am so glad our team traeted you like family!

Your friends at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre

Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here for two nights, one before and one after our Mexico vacation, because of the hotel's proximity to the Flint airport, its complimentary shuttle and its park-n-fly package option.

The hotel is easy to find (right off the highway), and it sits in a little industrial park with three other cookie-cutter hotels and a pretty good roadhouse-style restaurant (Redwood Lodge). Check-in was a little slow as someone new was being trained (that's okay). While standing at the front desk I had time to observe a lack of cleanliness and upkeep (the wall behind the desk needs painting, the desk itself is scuffed/scratched), which did not create a great first impression.

We were assigned a room on the fourth floor both nights. On our first night we were located right beside the elevator (noisy), and on our second night we had a room overlooking the pool (also noisy); both were interior views (a little strange). Because this is a Holiday Inn, there were lots of kids running around (many barefoot--ugh) in the lobby and in the hallways. We were surprised to see adults in the pool past midnight on our first stay, but they were quiet so it didn't bother us. On our second stay we were awakened early in the morning by screaming kids whose greatest thrill in life it seemed was to be swimming in the Holiday Inn pool. If you have a late check-in or just want to sleep in undisturbed, be sure to request a room with an exterior view, away from the Holidome and the elevators.

Our rooms appeared to have been recently redecorated, but they were not as clean as other Holiday Inns in which we've stayed: dirt and debris collected in the crevices where the floor meets the wall, grime on light switches and the telephone, a less-than-pristine bathroom, a non-functioning power bar. Don't get me wrong, they weren't filthy, they just showed evidence of a more thorough cleaning being needed.

The location is convenient for those flying in or out of FNT, but barring that I can't think of a reason to stay here. If we do fly out of FNT again we may try the Marriott to see if their rooms are kept to a higher standard (plus it has windows that open, which we prefer).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Beyond_YXU

Dear MYKEI67,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am so sorry about the noise you experienced during your recent stay with us. The rooms on the outside of our hotel are away from the pool and much quieter and we would be happy to book one of these rooms for you on your next visit.

If there is anything else I can do to ensure your stay is flawless next time please let me know by calling me at 810-232-5300. Again, thank you for your feedback and my sincerest apologies for your inconvenience. Please consider giving us another chance the next time you are flying out of Flint Bishop Airport.

Your friends at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flint
Hampton Inn and Suites Flint / Grand Blanc
BEST WESTERN Flint Airport Inn & Suites
0 mi away
Courtyard Flint Grand Blanc
Residence Inn Flint Grand Blanc
Baymont Inn & Suites Flint
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Blanc

Been to Holiday Inn Flint? Share your experiences!