“Not bad for Flint! :)”

Sagano Japanese Bistro & Steakhouse
Ranked #6 of 351 Restaurants in Flint
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Steakhouse
Description: Sagano Flint offers 14 Hibachi Style tables for at your table cooking. Our chefs will prepare your food right before your eyes. We also have a bistro side of the restaurant featuring traditional Japanese food and the best sushi around.
Reviewed February 1, 2012

~Review for Sushi Bar only~

Pleasantly surprised!

Came here the other night with a friend that raved about the place. Husband and I kept it simple and ordered Tempura Udon ($8.95), Tekka Maki (cut tuna roll, $4.50), and Spider Roll (soft shell crab, $7.50).

The udon wasn't bad at all! The shrimp was fresh, but the breading could have been less dense and fluffier, but at least they gave us 2. There have been some places that don't even give 2 pieces of shrimp tempura, and even some that just take regular shrimp and fry it! So not cool, so I was happy that Sagano gave two whole shrimp. It's the small things. :)

Moving on, to me, the broth in any noodle soup is what makes a dish. If it's flat in flavor or is over salted, the meal really suffers. However, to my surprise, the broth was pretty flavorful. I liked the fact that the broth was not straight up soy sauce, but did have bonito flakes (even if it's instant) and some vinegar. The added scallions and kameboko was a nice touch to the noodle soup. The noodles were nothing to go celebrate over, but it wasn't overly salty. A little overcooked, as I like my noodles more chewy, but not bad at all.

Once we finished our noodle soup, our rolls came. The tekka maki was made so-so, the rice and fish proportion was not consistent through all 6 pieces, but the freshness in the fish and the acidity added to the sushi rice was pretty good. Seaweed wrapper was a little salty, and it wasn't wrapped all the way around. The spider roll was surprisingly small, with only 5 pieces. Normally, spider roll will have more crab legs, but here, there were only 2, so that was a little disappointing. However, the maki was tightly rolled and the flavor were tasty and balanced. I just wish there were 3 more pieces like how I'm used to!

Service was pretty good and attentive. Staff seems free-spirited and laid back. The sushi chefs looked focused at crafting their makis, though I wish the technique could be more consistent. Overall, we had a nice time here, and would come back to try other noodle dishes and sushi rolls. If you're looking for a wide variety of creative rolls, this place is worth giving it a shot. I'm sure you'll find something!

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have visited this restaurant many times and always enjoy the food. This visit was no exception. The chefs (or whatever they are called) are entertaining and talented. The food is exquisite, and the Japanese beer is quite tasty as well.
This particular trip had only one hiccup. The lady who was managing that evening was apparently stressed out. We had a party of 18 for an office gathering who spent combined better than $600 on food and drinks. We had advised when making the reservations that we would be having an office Christmas party during dinner. Yet almost as soon as the meat was placed on our plates, as is my past experience here, they immediately brought out "to-go" boxes and the rush began to be felt. Now don't get me wrong..they were busy enough and I am sure wanted to get us out the door as quickly as possible, but I feel the kind of money we laid down bought us a few minutes to exchange gifts and such..maybe another drink or two, and not feel rushed out the door. The manager kept hovering expectantly, silently telling us it was time to go. When we apparently did not take the hint she then went so far as to bring out all the new plates and menus and stack them on the table in front of us, then commenced hovering again, only at closer, more obvious proximity. Feeling very uncomfortable, the group decided it must be time to go so we all started to gather our things. This must have satisfied the manager as she turned and finally walked away. I couldn't help but offer a passing comment in her direction about her rude behavior, which I followed up with some additional conversation with her before I left. Her only recourse was to claim it was the holidays and it was a Saturday night and she needed the tables. Despite any of that, there was no excuse for the blaring rudeness in which we were handled. It seems the owner agreed, as he contacted our office the next week to inquire about what had gone down, apologizing for all of it, even feeling so bad as to bring a special treat by for the whole office later in the week to make amends. That is the reason I can still with confidence rate this restaurant very good and suggest you will not be disappointed with the quality of the food and your experience here. I know I will give them another opportunity..hopefully soon!!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is my favorite place in Flint to eat. I have hosted bridal showers, birthday and anniversary partys here and they are so accomadating and very entertaining. We always go with the hibachi grill, and everyone of the meats are fabulous (shrimp, steak, chicken, scallops, and the tuna). It's best to make reservations or you may wait for an hour on weekends. Also, you will be seated with others as the grill table hold up to 10 and they want them full. Be prepared to interact with the chef and others at the table. The chefs love it if you buy them a shot of saki during the meal.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

So my family took me to this restaurant for my B-Day because I had been talking about trying it out and I'm glad that they did! This place is very entertaining, but loud. The food is great and you sure get a lot of it. This is a place you would want to hang out with friends for dinner & drinks, and can be loud because it's that kind of atmosphere.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Authentic and traditional sushi/sashimi not often found away from larger metropolitan areas. 4 of 5 overall

Been to Sagano Japanese Bistro & Steakhouse? Share your experiences!