“Oh, my. The house-made hot sauce!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fly Trap
Ranked #3 of 93 Restaurants in Ferndale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Shelby Township, Michigan
“Oh, my. The house-made hot sauce!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Sure, the food is amped-up, scratch made diner food and holds its own. However, I was pleasantly surprised by finding a new favorite hot sauce.

If you are a hot sauce fan, order something with the intention of using it as a hot sauce transportation device. The egg and omelette dishes that come with potatoes are perfect for this.
The green jalapeño sauce is great, but I absolutely loved the red habanero citrus sauce. It is available for take-home.

The place itself is pretty much true to the name. It is just a small diner that is usually crowded, and can get noisy.

• Visited April 2013

“Five words.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Get. The. Mac. And. Cheese.

Caramelized onions, Gouda, bleu cheese backed with a crumble topping....keeps me coming back. The diner atmosphere is very comfortable and it makes you feel like home.

Visited February 2013
“I had high hopes, but based on the wait and poor service I won't be back for a second visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I was really excited to try out the Fly Trap. I had friends traveling from NY, and thought this would be the perfect brunch spot. The food was satisfactory, but there are a lot of great breakfast spots in the Ferndale/Royal Oak area - ones with better service.

If you don't have anywhere to be, and don't mind waiting to be sat and receive your food, this might be the place for you. We had to wait 40 minutes to be sat, which was fine. But our food took even longer to come out. When one of my friends asked how much longer the food would take, because they had a flight to catch, the waitress was unsympathetic and said "Well everyone is waiting, so there's nothing I can do."

Moral of the story is this place had pretty good food, but not a lackluster atmosphere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Ontario, Canada
“Good breakfast, good service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I would rate the Fly Trap between average and very good. We had the basic breakfast - bacon, eggs and toast and it was all good. The restaurant is a little neighbourhood spot that I am sure serves up a consistent breakfast every time so for me that makes it a spot to return to. The servers were freshening up the customer's morning coffee which is always nice and the prices are very reasonable. Next time I will try something for lunch and I am sure it will be good too.

2 Thank Panther67
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Pho Bowl!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Found this little restaurant on an overnight trip to Michigan. We stopped in for a late lunch ~2:00 and the place was packed, which says a lot about the food! My husband and I sat at the bar and both ordered the Lemongrass Pho Bowl. He got his with tofu and I ordered mine with chicken. The flavors were amazing and I was happy to find the dish filled with vegetables. The chicken in it was so tasty too. We did have to wait a little bit for our food to come, but it was totally worth it! Would loved to have tried some of the breakfast items too, but we don't live in the area. Would definitely recommend!

• 5 of 5 bubbles