“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2010

An interesting anomaly in Ferndale. A restaurant that really does try to travel outside the Thank God It's Franchise cookie cutter.

I've been to this restaurant several times over the last 15 years and haven't had a bad experience. Brunch (good omelettes and crepes, they roast their own coffee beans on site once a week) or dinner (decent wine list), the food is quite good, the service attentive and informative, and the atmosphere, well, different. Satyrs painted on the purple walls and Edith Piaf from the speakers... The restaurant has recently been repainted, which is an improvement, the age was starting to show a little bit.

A nice place to surprise a date or celebrate an anniversary, for about half the price of the Lark Restaurant.

1  Thank Hengest

Reviewed July 11, 2009

Stopped in here in May for lunch one day to give it a try after reading reviews and wanted to sample the menu before I suggested to our supper club. I am glad I did, only to give it a NO GO vote. I ordered the Niçoise salad and just wanted to get up and walk away. The tuna that came with the salad must have been left over from the night before, the tuna was cooked WELL DONE - YUCK! The hard boil eggs on the plate helped to push this salad and restaurant review to the wrong direction... Granted I like a soft boiled egg - but the eggs on the plate were just wrong. The olives were very tiny and more pit than anything else. It was a $20 small salad served for lunch that I would not have even wanted to pay 5.99 for. I know I should have sent it back, but I just did not want to hurt the owners feelings, but I should have. The biscuits that came with jam at lunch also seems to be leftover from the day before. They would have been much better if heated vs. cold and very hard. Overall, I really wanted the meal to be good. I have been to France, both Paris and Lyon and loved the food, but this restaurant, while the host was very nice and attentive - totally missed the mark on quality. I may give it another try - but my lunch visit was just NOT good.

As for the decor of the dinning area - while some may entertain those silk flower arrangements hanging from the ceiling may be pretty - all I could see was dust balls and faded flowers that needed to be ripped out. The various tables and chairs - all unique, was a nice touch, but the dinning area needs serious cleaning & updating.

6  Thank ToddintheRidge
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I had dinner there this evening because I was craving French food and we loved it. The host / owner (not sure) was so lovely and was very attentive. Just sitting, we could smell the aromatics coming from the kitchen. The food was excellent and we were truly satisfied by the time we left. The atmosphere is very cozy, relaxed and a great date restaurant.

I highly recommend The French Gourmet and will definitely be back again!

Reviewed October 20, 2008

For a special occaision or quiet romantic dinner out, this is an excellent place to go. The food is authentic and very good, the atmosphere quiet, relaxed and very pretty. The host excels in making guests feel welcome and like they're about to have a very special evening. There is no rush, and he delights in explaining the menu as well as serving with a flourish. We've been several times, and usually return with friends to share the dining experience. Cal ahead to get the round table in the window under the flower arbor!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Great Breakfast, haven't tried dinner.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook