“Craft brews n darn good food”
Review of One-Eyed Betty's

One-Eyed Betty's
Ranked #2 of 96 Restaurants in Ferndale
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
LaSalle Ontario
“Craft brews n darn good food”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Went to this bistro on the recommendations of a couple of locals with a mutual passion for food and drink. Their suggestion could not been more "spot on"! For those of us searching for a unique pint, O.E.B's has probably 50 taps, in most styles of beer! The food also did not disappoint. I had the oyster and shrimp po-boy with onion rings, and I would not hesitate to order the dish again. The oyster was barely cooked, (as it should be) the sandwich was substantial, and the onion rings were the best that I have ever eaten. By that I mean that the breading was super-crisp, the onion was thick, and when you bit into a ring the entire onion did not eject itself from the batter and slap you on the chin. Trust me they're damn good rings. A hip and youngish crowd. A bright and funky vibe. I look forward to returning to see my new girlfriend Betty when the weather warms up!

Royal Oak, Michigan
“Eh it was ok.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Interesting choices on the menu. Donuts were sub-par, rather like the Dutch Girl Donuts down the street. I tried the gumbo, it was rather bland, but my chicken entree had way too much heat, but the potatoes were nice. I had to pick out every seeded peppers, they were not red or green pepper as I had thought from reading the menu. Probably should re-word the menu to read "hot peppers" instead of just peppers perhaps? Roasted brussel sprouts were good in the balsamic vinegar, but still like the leafy flakes better at the Social in Birmingham better. They should really break down the head of the brussel sprout to make it more crunchy all over.

Brighton
“Burgers + Beer = Yum!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Came out to watch my Brother Rollie Tussing play a gig here - otherwise wouldn't have driven this far. But besides the fact that the music was great (biased for certain); I had the best hamburger that I have had in forever! Cooked to order with awesome french fries. There were 5 of us and we had great service as well. The beer selection here is the largest that I have ever seen with a taste for everybody. We tried the brussel sprouts and they were good; different; probley wouldn't get those again. But, we would definitely drive the 50 minute drive for the best burgers, beer and music. I really enjoyed everything about One-eyed Betty's.
PS - even though we had an hour wait to get a table, there was plenty of standing room and a Server made sure that you were well taken care of before you got seated.

Detroit, MI
“Awesome Beer, but needs better acoustics”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a place to go with friends to drink good beers. If you are into craft beers or have never yet found one you like, this is the place to go to. There are a lot of great beers on tap and the beer menu changes weekly. I went there on a Friday and then on a Sunday and found a lot of beers had been switched out. I usually like to go for the samplers to get a wide variety of beers.

The food was pretty good, but a tad pricy. I prefer to eat somewhere beforehand and then come here for the party. Some of the appetizers are really good such as the crispy brussels sprouts. The only issue I have with the place is that the acoustics are not the best. It is hard to have a conversation, especially if they have a live band. If you see someone setting up for music, treat the place like any music hall because it will be loud. You will not be able to hear the person in front of you and communication will be reduced to pointing and hand gestures.

• Visited January 2013
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Loved the Flanders Salad!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I wanted to try One Eyed Betty’s because I read they have bouillabaisse on the menu. While the soup is no longer a menu item, there was plenty to choose from. We shared a Flanders Salad, roasted zucchini, onions, carrots and yellow squash; tossed with fresh arugula, light dressing and goat cheese. Delicious! Based on the success of the Flanders Salad, I would assuredly return to try their beet and apple salad, the hot spinach salad or maybe the crispy Brussels sprouts in balsamic.

We also shared a Betty’s Burger—beef patty with bacon, sharp cheddar, garlic aioli, greens, tomato and onion. Very tasty. Given the choice of fries or onion rings with the burger, we picked the onion rings. These are fat onion rings with a bit too much batter for me but I know some people like this kind of onion ring.

Service is great. The restaurant has a converted-warehouse-in-a-college-town kind of feel to it where hoodies, flannel shirts and knitted caps are totally comfortable. Wooden tables are set up to seat two, four or six and in busy conditions, a party of two might find themselves sharing with another couple. We did and it worked out fine. The high ceilings make it slightly difficult to have whispered conversations but the place wasn’t overly noisy with the Saturday lunch crowd. Several TVs hang over the bar area and pinball machines are available up in front.

One Eyed Betty’s is into beer (an amazing variety) whiskey (again, an amazing selection), and pork in a great way. How about Bacon with a side of Bacon? Lunch for two without tip was 28.00. The place has an intriguing people watching vibe, making waiting for your food fun.

I’d love to return for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They have Scotch Eggs on the menu. I’ll have to go back to try one.

I saw from other reviews that One Eyed Betty’s can get quite busy with waits to get in. We were seated immediately so this could be sporadic. I read about cold coffee. Mine was hot, delicious and replenished. I don’t want to praise the place too much for fear of making it a little too popular but it is great and assuredly worth a visit.

And the bouillabaisse? The soup intrigued me when reading about Marseille, France, where it is a specialty prepared in restaurants only with advance notice. And then who can forget Fleur Delacour saying to Ron Weasley “Could you please pass the bouillabaisse?” Who knows? Maybe Betty's will bring it back some day.

• Visited January 2013