“Expanding upon “My worst IHG experience””

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fenton
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Expanding upon “My worst IHG experience””
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am another member of the same family reunion mentioned by a prior reviewer (8/13/12). We chose this property because we consider Holiday Inn Express a reliable brand. We frequently select them when we travel and are Priority Club Members. I second a number of things mentioned in the earlier review but wanted to expand upon the whole WiFi issue and upon the issue with the confusion of our reservation and check-in difficulties.
One family member and I are also business colleagues. While staying at this hotel we were attempting to meet a crucial work deadline. Reliable, fast internet access was essential. As the hours ticked away and we couldn't get on-line, we became more and more concerned. We made numerous calls to the front desk and to a help phone number listed. Each time staff's answer was "well no one else is having any trouble", as if we were crazy and it must be user error. And each time the staff was more and more impatient and cranky with our requests for help. Our family group includes a number of engineers and someone with a doctorate in computer science. So we don't think we are the idiots staff was seeming to indicate we were. We tried numerous devices (various laptops, tablets and iPads) without success. When we finally sorted it out, without the staff's assistance by the way, we tried to report back to the front desk so that maybe in the future it could be sorted out for others more quickly, they blew us off as if we were idiots. They were uninterested in how the problem was resolved, insisting there really was no problem to begin with. The final straw was when the desk staff was very rude to my elderly father about this issue. The customer service was awful.

The other issue was the reservation/check-in process. We had reservations for four rooms. Three of them were under one name and a fourth under another family member's name. We were arriving from various portions of the country so didn't all arrive at the same time. When the first two family groups arrived they were trying to check-in to two of the four rooms. The front desk insisted that there were only 3 rooms in the reservation group. Suspecting she was confused, the family member listed all possible last names she should be looking for. She insisted that no there were only 3 rooms not 4. Unfortunately I was not present yet and I was the one with the confirmation numbers. So for 1/2 a day until I arrived these 5 family members were trying to squeeze into one room. When I arrived and was told what was going on, the desk staff still insisted there were only 3 rooms reserved until we produced our confirmation numbers for the 4 rooms.

Bottom line - we were made to feel as if the staff thought we were crazy. We were only trying to obtain services we had reserved and paid for. We understand that mishaps can occur but when they do customers shouldn't be made to feel as if they are stupid and in the wrong.

1 Thank nbatt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear nbatt,

Thank you for advising us of your dissatisfaction towards our Front Desk service. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you.

I understand why you are disappointed, let me assure you that this is not our usual level of service. Our management has taken note of this and proper action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature will not reoccur in the future.

Again, thank you for your comments which help us identify areas of improvement. We hope to welcome you back to be able to demonstrate to you our true service.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting family. The room was nice with a comfortble bed and pillows also a fridge. It was clean and the the staff was nice. The pool was clean but very cold and the hot tub was not very hot. I stayed in a few hotels on my trip to Michigan and this one was the only one that was super noisy.Could hear the people talking next door and walking around in the room above and when other people turned on there showers it was so loud it was like it was in our room and the room was next to the exit door so I had to listen to people slamming in and out and night in the morning. Breakfeast was good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear MichiganLadybug,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel. I am more than happy that you found the room nice and the bed comfortable. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times and what I like best is that the hotel is spotless - from the rooms to the breakfast area to the lobby area. The staff is friendly and helpful, even when the hotel is full - as it was this trip.
The bathtub fixtures are getting old, but the bath is spotless!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Have seen some of the other reviews of this property and find them surprising. Our room was spacious, very clean and up to date. Wifi worked well and the room had ample towels and toiletries. While we knew that there was a breakfast, we were impressed that pancakes were served rather than the normal waffles. Also the menu was slightly different each day. The area around the motel offers several places to eat, a grocery store and a Wal-Mart all within walking distance.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I love most IHG hotels and prefer to try and stay in that brand whenever I can (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, etc). This was definitely the worst of any of my IHG stays.

We stayed here for a weekend in July for a mini family reunion. All of us that stayed here experienced problems.

Let's start with the only good (and the only reason I gave 2 stars instead of 1). The rooms are pretty large. I was a lot of space for me and my husband, and my sister's family (2 adults and 2 children) did not feel cramped. The beds were comfortable and we had a good night’s sleep even though I could hear everything going on in the rooms around and above us. The rest of the hotel was definitely below average.

The gym and pool were a joke. The "gym" included 2 treadmills and 1 stationary bike that all looked like they were from 1980. The room itself looked like it was about 6 feet by 8 feet. I don't even think they should be able to list on their website that they have a gym based on this. The pool was also small. Not out of the ordinary for this size hotel, but don't be expecting anything special. My niece and nephew who are 8 and 3 thought the pool was just fine and had a good time, but if you have a large group you won't be able to fit in this pool.

The breakfast was included in our rate and was only okay. The staff was very fast in replenishing everything, but the food itself was below average. If I was traveling with just my husband and me we would have gone out for breakfast after the first day. With as large as a group as we had it was just easier to eat in the hotel, but I wasn't happy about it after the first day. Bland biscuits, greasy bacon, watery gravy, icky.

The biggest complaint I have however is with the staff. We had multiple issues with the staff either messing up our reservation or just plain being rude. We had some issues when we arrived with our 4 different room reservations. After about 20 minutes we finally got everything figured out and at least this staff member was polite. We had issues with the Wi-Fi throughout our stay. Everyone in our group had issues with this. When we would call for help they would not be able to help at all. When we finally figured it out for ourselves we tried to bring the solution to the attention of the front desk so that if another guest had the same issue they could help with the problem. Instead of the staff listening to the solution she was rude, short, and started trying to claim there was no problem. All we wanted to do was help and she was HORRIBLE! Also, I am a Priority Club Platinum Member and there was no mention of my status or acknowledgement that I was even a member of the Priority Club. Normally I at least get a "We want to thank you for being a Priority Club member" and a complementary bottle of water or something. Nothing here.

It is because of the rudeness of the staff that I will not be returning to this hotel if I return to the area, nor can I recommend to anyone traveling to Fenton. Choose anywhere else.

Rochester, Mi
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We've stayed in many HIE and this one was a half-notch below the others. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but just felt a little below well-maintained. Room was clean; linens were fine (all bath towels were damp during our 6-day stay, though); sheets were clean but soft--personal preference is crisp. Mattress was very soft--ended up with a backache. Bring my own pillow because 99% of hotel pillows are way too small and soft for my taste. This was no exception. Easy to hear guests walking in room above. We were out early so wasn't a problem for us. Breakfast person was overwhelmed one morning with supplies to put away and was unable to keep the coffee filled. All other mornings were good. Pool area was large and looked clean. Computer in lobby worked great--quick and easy to use. Didn't have much interaction with hotel staff, so no comment there. Drain in our room ran slow. We forgot to report it, but the cleaning staff should have noticed it and reported it anyway. Lots of food choices nearby and some within walking distance--Lucky's Steakhouse, Big Boy, Mega Coney Island, etc. Overall, this was a better than average stay but not memorable. Seems overpriced for the area, too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We have stayed at this location before and were a little disappointed with atomsphere as the room were looking dated and needed a spruce up. The only reason this time to give it another chance was I had Priority Club Free Night to use.
Upon check in, very promptly looked after and was advised that it was a quiet night with not many reservations. The room we were given was at the end of the hall. Very close to exterior door and therefore easy to unload the vehicle.
A little concerned when we returned from supper to find the parking lot filled up. Not to worry, we never heard anyone all night, not even doors closing. We thought this might be a problem in the morning, but there was seating when we got there. It kept the staff going to keep up but they did a remarkable job. My concern is people who don't have consideration to move back to their room when done breakfast - on group took up 8 spots and sat there for the best part of an hour.
The pool area is great and was well used. We enjoyed the pool area after a long day shopping.
The beds were comfortable, but the pillows are very small. I would like it if hotels did not cut costs and provide full size pillows. This can make or break a stay if you don't get proper rest.
The best part is the Flat Screen TV and the channel selection - absolutely amazing - tons of selection - over 200 channels and HD as well. It was hard to shut the TV off.
Most defintely would stay again !!

Room Tip: Request a room on the Ground Floor close to exterior exit.