“Great Treat”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Whitford, Auckland
“Great Treat”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Well worth a stop. Delicious pies and lots of vatiety! Inside is interesting with old photo's and items. Friendly service and plentiful parking.

Visited August 2012

Muskegon, Michigan
“Hate to be the bad guy but...”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The loaction is cool, right smack in the middle of orchard country. The decor wanst to be cracker barrel, but more crap in a smaller space and less clean. The menu is horrible. I stopped here with a colleague on the way home from a trip. The staff was not overwhelmed, they just appeared not to care. We waited to sit and like most restaurants they crammed us into teh back room with everyone else even though the other room was open. I ordered an icewater and it arrived with a bug in it whcih they promptly replaced with a bug free water, (once I got their attention). I'm not squeamish so it didn't really freak me out, then i saw where they were getting the ice from, a trough surrounded by what looked like dirty dishes. I fear human cross contamination more than bugs, so this was a big turn off. They have no soft drinks, water, cider or coffee is what the options are if i remember. I really expected a good home cooked menu but it was very limited and poor at that. I had the lackluster chili and got the heck outta there. I will say their apple butter swirled bread is absolutely fantastic, and as I type, I long for it! Everything in the bakery is severely overpriced, once again, gouge the tourists! It's a tourist trap to soak orchard goers for more dough, that's it, that's all. skip it.

• Visited August 2012
Portage, Michigan
“If you haven't been, then go!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The experience is worth the trip. Pies were once made by hand and all the desserts were wonderful. Over the years, the business has changed but if you haven't been there. It is a "do not miss" for apple pie and my favorite the sloppy joe on a homemade bun.

Visited September 2011
Midland, MI
“Comfort Food and Antique Toys”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Crane's is just one of those places that makes you feel instantly at home. Sloppy Joes, BLTs, burgers, tuna melts, and delicious, crunchy, thick chips. No soda pop, no fries. The kind of lunch my mom made for me forty years ago -- only, to be honest, better. The cider is amazing and the pies, as many reviewers have noted, are a find. I have been known to drive two hours for a Crane's pie --pies can also be bought at the bakery attached to the restaurant. (Be careful, they may tell you. It just came out of the oven.) The decor is funky in a good way -- antique baby shoes and toys strung from the walls and ceiling, some odd mannequins dressed in 19th century clothes, old time advertising signs everywhere. A great family place. We like to come here after picking peaches or apples at the orchard next door.

• Visited August 2012
“A Gem in Southwest Michigan”
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We are from Illinois, but come to SW Michigan several times in the summer to go to the beach, pick fruit and enjoy several restaurants. One place we never miss on our visits is Crane's Pie Pantry in Fennville. The restaurant is truly charming. Located in an old barn and decorated with an unusual but charming assortment of antiques and kitch, this quaint restaurant has a wide assortment of delicious soups and sandwiches. Portions are huge, so share or get a half sandwich if you have a small appetite. Our favorite is their homemade veggie burger, the best we've ever eaten. All of their bread is homemade and the Apple cider is great, with free refills. Save room for dessert, because the restaurant is owned by an orchard, with the best fruit pies imaginable. They also have a bakery and you can by whole pies fresh or frozen to go. If it's lunctime or dinnertime and you want to enjoy a casual but delicious meal not too far from the beach, don't miss out on Crane's.