“Inventive Menu”

Salt of the Earth
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Fennville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Salt of the Earth- rustic American eatery and bakery is located in the heart of southwest Michigan farm and orchard country. We cook from scratch to create our entrees, shared plates, wood oven fired pizzas, creative soups, fresh salads, desserts, and artisan breads. Ingredients are locally sourced, and organic whenever possible. Our full service bar proudly serves Michigan craft beers, hard ciders, spirits, and wines alongside other domestic and international products. Our craft cocktail menu features updated classics and creative house specialties. We are also an entertainment destination presenting the finest roots musicians on the scene at our weekly house concerts. We are proud to offer a high quality experience in a relaxed and casual atmosphere and hope to serve you soon. Join us for Sunday Brunch every Sunday May-November. Cheers!
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Menu is inventive and server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the menu items. We really enjoyed our meal. It seemed a busy evening but we were seated promptly and enjoyed attentive service and didn't feel hurried.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We arrived early since we were warned about the popularity of this place. So, we opted for a very early dinner. It was everything we'd heard. The staff is friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I had the pressed chicken - yummy and moist. We had a side of fries and brussel sprouts (nicely done). Desert was good, nothing outstanding, but fresh. The bread which they make there was fresh and very good. We should have known as we'd seen it sold at a couple of shops. Would recommend and will return when in the area.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We first visited this restaurant several years ago and our first few visits were such a pleasure. Over the years we have seen a gradual decline in our desire to visit this place. The last two times in the area we decided to skip it, but thus time we decided to give it another try. The service was terrible! We were there at 5 pm so were seated immediately. We were not waited on right away, but that was fine. When our waiter came he took our drink order but the drinks did not appear for a very long time. Also, we were not served bread until our salad was served. Bread is a major reason for visiting and it should be out front and center! We waited a VERY long time for the salad but we were half way through when the main course arrived at out table. This was maddening. I really resent it when I'm forced to decide between gobbling down a salad or letting my food get cold. My husband had ordered a steak and there it sat for at least 10 minutes while we ate our salad. I'm a vegan...no meat or dairy..and in the past I've been pleasantly surprised with their willingness to accommodate my diet. Not so anymore. I ordered my Brussels sprouts without bacon, which is a choice on the vegetarian menu. When the waiter brought our food, tboth dishes of Brussels sprouts were on the tray ( one with bacon and one without) and the waiter said, "Oh, I'm pretty sure this is the one without bacon!" We are usually very, very generous tippers , but in good conscious, this guy barely squeaked by with 15%. Really! The food was just okay. I'm very disappointed with this place. Our waiter was John D.

1  Thank Claudette B
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

The service was terrible we waited 2+ hours for a table. The bar staff was great at bring apps and a couple drinks and they were the ones that finally grabbed us a table. The bartender actually ate it since the staff wasn't turning the tables that were left with dishes on them. Once we got a table the food took 1:15 to come out once ordered and the waitress never came back for another round of drinks. The salads came right out but it was another 25 min or so for soups. When the food did show up two of the plates were severely under cooked, not acceptable for pork or beef. We asked for the manager who didn't come over until after the bill was brought out. They discounted the bill for the food but never apologized for the service. We were not the only table that was complaining that night. Other than that the meals that were cooked were very good. I would not drive that far again to wait that long.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I have wanted to eat here ever since I read article in Edible the foodie magazine. I tried some of my friends blt+e sandwich which was amazing. My Sunnyside up eggs were cooked perfectly. My other breakfast partner had the biscuits and gravy which were underwhelming lacking depth of flavor and biscuits were hohum. But back to the sandwich, I will long remember those bites.