“A pleasant place...a couple problems”

Holiday Inn Farmington Hills/Novi
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Farmington Hills
New Ulm, MN
“A pleasant place...a couple problems”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Reserved 2 suites for a group of 7 guys on a quest to experience the Final Four in Detroit. The hotel was attractively decorated and we were well received. They graciously allowed us to check in early, but told us that they did not and would not have the rooms with 2 doubles/queens as requested. We had reserved for 7 and ended up with a King and a sofa in each...far less than ideal.

The room was clean...beds were comfortable...everything worked appropriately. We appreciated the fridge/microwave, free coffee/cocoa, and newspaper.

One morning, we saw a significant number of ants in the pool area...not a big deal but not a good thing either. Otherwise, our experience was quite good and I'd book and stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlumniGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 13, 2008

This is a great hotel. The rooms are modern and comfortable. The living area has a couch, tv, fridge and desk. The bedroom area has another tv and a king bed. The bathroom had a lot of counter space and a really nice Moen shower head. Everything was very clean and modern.
The hotel has some nice amenities. There is a restaurant and ball room on the main floor. There is also a small bar/pub off the lobby. The gym is small but well equipped. The indoor pool area is nice with tables, vending machines, and an attached hot tub. The lobby is nicely decorated with several comfy chairs and couches, big-screen tv, coffee/cocoa machine, computers, and books.
The staff of the hotel were very helpful and friendly. It is also in a good location right off the freeway. There are a couple dining establishments around there and if you go just 1 more exit there are more. Overall we had a very pleasurable stay here and wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jeth
MIDWEST
Reviewed April 29, 2008

From the time we entered the hotel, until the time we checked out, we were impressed. It's clean, modern, and up to date. The lobby has lots of couches and chairs, a free fancy (capuccino, chocolate, latte) coffee machine, and pleasant atmosphere. The type of room we reserved was exactly what they had for us. The suite door enters into a small sitting room. The sitting room has a couch that is also a pull-out bed; a tv, a few popular magazines, a writing desk. The bathroom was clean, good size. The bedroom is a good size for the type of hotel. Bed was very comfortable. Lots of pillows. Another tv. Many more tv cable stations than most hotels provide. We asked for, and were given, a quiet room away from most foot traffic and elevator traffic. The swimming pool looks smaller than the hotel website's photograph. Plenty of chairs to sit around in while the kids played in the pool. The restaurant food was great, enough variety, well-prepared, acceptable price. Waitress was pleasant, brought us what we asked for quickly, checked on us often enough. I'd stay here again.

• Liked — Clean, spacious rooms. Pleasant desk clerk. Somewhat luxurious for the price and type of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Lilygal
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My occupation has me traveling every week. Therefore, I stay in a different hotel every week. Overall, this is a nice place with many 'perks': Large Rooms, Free Drink & Breakfast Coupons, Swimming Pool, Free Coffee in the lobby, etc. I'd book this site again.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Allways_On_The_Road
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 25, 2007

Stay here if you like...

elevators that did not work for three consecutive days and staying on the third floor.

unsupervised kids running, screaming and slamming doors.

a below average restaurants with rediculous pricing and a required tip fixed into your check before you get it (and without telling you.)

no decent parking in an unsafe lot and neighborhood.

locals who are obviously not staying here dropping their kids off to "play in the hotel."

keys that do not seem to work very well.

an oblivious front desk staff.

and no included extra amenities!

Otherwise, stay in Auburn Hills at the Staybridge Suites!

• Liked — Close to mall
  • Disliked — Far from being a decent hotel
  • Stayed February 2004, traveled on business
7 Thank NaptownTraveler
Columbus, OH
Reviewed December 5, 2006

The hotel has been renovated recently. It is clean and fairly reasonable at around $100 a night. It is located in an older commercial area of Farmington but there is newer shopping restaurants, etc in a couple of miles. I would recommend staying here if you are looking for a clean reasonable hotel in Farmington.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Northwest Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband, myself and our two daughters (13 and 24) stayed at this hotel for three nights in mid-May 2006. We had a two-double-bed suite and my uncle stayed down the hall in a king suite. We were there for my father's funeral, so it was a stressful situation at best. I was very pleased overall with our stay at this hotel. We made our suite our "home-away-from-home." We would stay again.

Lobby: Clean and impressive.

Restaurant and Lounge: I never ate at the restaurant. My husband had the continental breakfast once. He said it was fine. One evening I asked the front desk clerk where the lounge was and never really got an answer. He mumbled something about the restaurant. I didn't see a cocktail lounge and I looked for it.

Suite: We really liked the "suite" arrangement. My uncle was staying in another room and he would come and visit. It was nice to have a living room and not be visiting on beds. Since we were staying three nights, we used the refrigerator for some beverages, sandwich items and leftovers, and did use the microwave. We found that set-up to be wonderful. The size of the refrigerator was a pleasant surprise as well. It was larger than expected and could hold two-liter bottles on the door.

Beds: Lots of pillows. The first night our older daughter slept on the sofa bed. She said it was very uncomfortable. The mattress was thin and no springs. My husband said our double bed was uncomfortable but I found it fine.

Room furnishings: There was an issue with the window not closing all the way, but since I like a little fresh air, I didn't see this as a problem. The furnishings in the room were appropriate for this type of hotel and functional. We had two TV's and again, the living room was great. One night I stayed up later than the rest of the family and sat in the living room, had a drink and a snack and watched TV while the rest of them slept. Again, loved having a suite.

TV: No Cable. I am glad I had TIVO'd a show at home because it was showing and I would have missed it. Lots of news stations...not a whole lot else.

WiFi: My husband got on his laptop without any problems.

Housekeeping: There were four of us. We had two glasses. You don't get clean ones. They just leave the dirty ones there. We also did not have enough styrofoam cups the first day for coffee. I had brought some from home, thankfully, or only one of us would have been able to have coffee. I made a call to the front desk and eveything was much better on "Day 2." Lots of towels throughout our stay. Room was clean. Coffee. Lots of toiletries.

Pool and Exercise Room: The exercise room was very nice. My only observation was that if I were much taller, I would have had a problem with the treadmills because the ceiling was so low. Also, no TV. I remember commenting to myself, "A TV would have been nice." They had a water cooler. Nice. Towels at the pool, again, nice. The pool was clean, the temperture was great and the spa was soothing. No complaints there. I enjoyed the pool and spa very much. My only observation there was that there was not a restroom of any kind in that facility. To use a restroom you had to go in the hall and use the one off the lobby. Not great with wet suits.

Overall impression: I would stay there again. The suite set-up was great. There are enough restaurants close enough that the restaurant issue did not come into play. They offer room service breakfast which is great for the business traveler. We considered ordering on our last day but we just didn't make it happen. I would recommend this hotel for families using this as a place to stay for travel but not as a destination. For families looking for a place to spend the weekend, find a Holidome. This hotel is great for the business traveler. VERY convenient to the expressways.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank sailwithme56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington Hills
Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit Farmington Hills
Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit F...
#1 of 12 in Farmington Hills
Radisson Hotel Detroit-Farmington Hills
Radisson Hotel Detroit-Farmingto...
#4 of 12 in Farmington Hills
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Farmington Hills
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detro...
#3 of 12 in Farmington Hills
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Novi
Red Roof Inn Farmington Hills
Red Roof Inn Farmington Hills
#5 of 12 in Farmington Hills
Courtyard Detroit Novi

Been to Holiday Inn Farmington Hills/Novi? Share your experiences!