“Food is good but not great.”
Review of New Hellas Greek Restaurant - CLOSED

New Hellas Greek Restaurant
Good for: Large groups
detroit, mich
“Food is good but not great.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This place is open a month and service is fair. The food is typical greek town but not great. I think they need to update their recipes. Some food is bland, others too salty.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank avalonandl

Southfield, Michigan
“Hellas is Back!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

For many years, the Hellas restaurant in the Greek Town district of Detroit was a great place to go for delicious Greek dishes such as Lamb and Rice, Grilled Lamb Chops and Kebabs, Stuffed Grape Leaves, Moussaka, Egg-Lemon Soup, Greek Salads, Rice Pudding, and Flaming Cheese (always served with an "Oopa!") You name it. It was good. Then Hellas closed. Then the building was torn down. Alas, no more Hellas! But now, the New Hellas has opened on Northwestern Highway in Farmington Hills, Michigan. It has the same Hellas sign out front and the same great food inside. Only -- the New Hellas is bigger, with a wide-open layout, and nice rustic decorations. A very warm atmosphere. The kitchen has large windows so that you can watch the chefs at work. When our family dined at New Hellas last weekend, we were delighted with the quality of the soups, salads, meats, and sauces. The service was friendly and prompt. We give the New Hellas our highest recommendation (no, we are not connected in anyway with the restaurant owners or staff, we just like the place). Note: Northwestern Highway is an extension of the Lodge Expressway (M-10), so you can hop onto the Lodge from Downtown Detroit or the Cultural Center and arrive at the New Hellas in about 25 minutes.

4 Thank Richard L
Detroit, Michigan
“Very expensive Saturday lunch with poor service and oversalted food”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Went for lunch on the first Saturday after opening. Restaurant was less than half full. Waited 45 minutes for lunch while other tables were seated and received food before us. Then, when the food came, waitress delivered wrong order to one of us. She made no apology and stated it would take "10 minutes" to remake it. After about 35, the correct order finally came. The pastistio and spinach pie were very good, but the stuffed grape leaves entree was mediocre on a plate mostly filled with white rice and lemon cream sauce. Side rice/vegetables were extermely salty. When the (very expensive) bill came, there was no apology or compensation for our troubles. Will think carefully before trying this again.

2 Thank InMichigan
“This is the best.”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was hesitant on coming to the Hella restaurant because I was afraid it wouldn't lie up to the Hellas name.
The place is beautiful. The warm lighting and real wood was very homely. The paintings were top notch.
I ordered the lamb arnaki. It was so tender and flavorful. I almost had enough for a full dinner worth of leftovers , because the portion size was incredible.
Our server , Mellisa , was genuine and knowledgeable. It was on her recommendation that we tried some Greek wine. It was sumptuous. The service was worth coming back for again.
This is my families new favorite spot.

2 Thank Itsjonny
Michigan
“I really wanted to like this place but. . .”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a great location in an area that needs more mid priced restaurants. I have now been here twice, once for dinner and once for lunch. They have a long way to go if they want to survive.

Dinner was the first weekend they opened. We went early, thinking it would be busy. It wasn't. The bread was not what I remembered from any Greek restaurant I have ever visited - no salt at all. The entrees were ok, not too hot and all vegetables were from a can. The lamb was salty and the rice ok. The wine list was acceptable as to variety and price. The service was just not good. The waiter did take the order, deliver it quickly and then never came back, not even once, until he brought the check.

Lunch on a week day should have been crowded - it wasn't. The menu is different, witih entrees at lunch prices, gyros, soup, salads. My village salad was good and reasonably priced. The bread was getting better (still not great but good). But again, the service was bad (same waiter - should I have said something?). As another reviewer noted, the hostess did nothing, not even acknowledge people coming or going. She was not busy but chatting to another employee.

Yhis place needs work - many little things could be fixed and really improve it. I hope so but doubt I will be back soon.

4 Thank travelfromMichigan