“Can't Wait to Go Back”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northwestern Highway & 14 Mile Rd
Description: this is a Matt Prentice restaurant
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was recently (10-9-12) the keynote speaker for a meeting held at Morels. It wasn't clear to me that the engagement included dinner, so I had arranged to meet a friend for dinner at another restaurant afterwards. When I arrived at Morels, I learned that the engagement included dinner. Knowing I had plans for later, I had a few bites of salad (delicious!) and half of a roll (heavenly). I took a salmon dish and a piece of cheesecake with me. Later that night I crawled into bed with the cheesecake. It was hands down the best cheesecake I've ever had. It had some sort of nut (love the texture the nuts gave the dessert) in it and a great crust. I put half of the cheesecake in the fridge for another day. The next day I had the salmon. It was outstanding! There was some sort of fluffy sauce on top. I've had salmon in many restaurants. Never had it this good. It had a nice crust on it and was served over some sort of potato dish that was also delicious. Next I went to the fridge to retrieve my cheesecake. My overly efficient housekeeper had thrown it out! I kind of didn't want to speak to her for like a week! Just kidding, but not really. Kudos to the hostess who made me feel very welcome. I will be returning to this restaurant often.

2  Thank MichiganBusinesslady

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I ate at Morels on a Monday night. We were both pleased at the really interesting choices on the menu. The drink menu offers a nice selection of Michigan craft beers, along with other alcoholic beverages. The server indicated that they had just started on their fall dinner menu. The bread basket was outstanding, with four kinds of homemade breads and scones with honey butter. For my main course, I had the griddled duck confit and it was really delicious. The meat was meltingly tender and was served over red cabbage, apples and raisins, and sweet potato spaetzle. The only thing I would change is to have the spaetzle served on the side because it was browned but no longer crisp. My husband had the whitefish and he had the same comment: the potato cakes that were under the fish were tasty but no longer crispy. For dessert, we shared the chocolate pot de creme, which was a rich and delectable ganache-like pudding, beautifully and deliciously garnished. We thought the prices were very reasonable, and the service and ambiance were pleasant.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had dinner with two friends using a Groupon. We had good service and very good food. Three different wines- all delicious. The waitstaff was attentive but not hovering. The meal was appropriately priced as well. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank dinerone1
Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading mixed reviews, we were happy to find a very accomadating staff and very good innovative menu items. An excellent pork belly appetizer followed by the lamb duo. Both highly recommended. We will go back to try other items like the duck confit.

2  Thank Jake95630
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went here with a friend after work on a Monday night. We really like to try new places and were excited for something different. The restaurant wasn't all that crowded, but when I went to ask for a table, the host inquired if I was "a walk-in" in a tone that suggested I had just crawled out from under a rock. I wish we had turned around and left right then.

After being given menus, a waiter whizzed by ten minutes later and told us "he would be right with us." Another 20 minutes later we still hadn't even ordered drinks and had to ask the person pouring water where our waiter was. When the waiter finally arrived, he apologized profusely and we each placed an order for a soup and entree along with drinks. The waiter couldn't answer any of our questions about the food. When I asked for some details about the soup of the day, he responded with, "I don't know....do you want me to go in the kitchen and look at it?" hahahaha When my friend inquired about the sauce on a certain dish, the waiter read the description directly from the menu...like my friend couldn't read. The waiter couldn't tell us whether the sauce was cream-based, tomato, etc.

Too make a long story short, we waited in this place for over 2 hours. From the time our soup arrived, it was another hour wait for our entrees. The waiter kept apologizing over and over again for the wait and blaming the kitchen. By the time our entrees finally did arrive, we weren't even hungry anymore and didn't enjoy the food. We just wanted to leave.

Bottom Line: If you're going to present your restaurant as an upscale establishment - THEN ACT LIKE ONE. This was my first and last time at Morels.

1  Thank Cavallina48390