“Excellent pizza, but restaurant hard to find & parking lot is scary”
Review of Papa John's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Papa John's
Ranked #44 of 78 Restaurants in Farmington
Cuisines: Pizza
Detroit, Michigan
“Excellent pizza, but restaurant hard to find & parking lot is scary”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

It's tucked in the SE corner of one of several strip malls on the S side of Grand River. The parking area is too small, and has a weird bubble near the entrance where the lot rises up a couple feet. Not sure what's going on under there, but I'm worried the bubble will collapse and swallow me and my car some day. They seriously need to fix that. Also, the trees above the sidewalk often aren't trimmed properly so you get branches in your face if you walk on the sidewalk. I liked to use the vacant parking lot to the E of theirs, rather than use their crowded and scary lot, but now there's a new building where that lot used to be.

There are no tables inside, this is a pick-up only location with room for maybe 3 customers waiting in line. Fortunately, there's rarely a line, because it's often so hot inside that I feel sorry for the employees, and I'm careful not to arrive early or I would have to stand there and get sweaty or brave the scary lot to go wait in my air conditioned car. The pizza comes with a jalapeno pepper and garlic ranch dressing/dipping sauce. I hate garlic, so ask for honey mustard, instead.

So, you might be wondering why I gave them 4 stars with such negatives. Well, the pizza is quite excellent. The thick crust is more like bread than crust, and the toppings I've tried are all good. For example, they have baby portabella mushrooms instead of the usual mushrooms. They don't have any trans fats laced into their pizza or toppings. The one complaint is that, like most restaurants, the food is too salty. You can control this by avoiding any toppings with excessive sodium, such as ham, pepperoni, sausage, olives, jalapenos, etc., and picking those without salt, like pineapple, or at least low sodium, like grilled chicken. Of course, you can't do much about the salt that comes in the crust, sauce, and cheese, unless you ask for light cheese and sauce, or none at all. I also like to add my own unsalted toppings when I get the pizza home, to dilute the sodium that way. Then, of course, this pizza has lots of carbs, so plan on gaining weight.

The pizza is absurdly expensive if you pay full price, like most pizza chains. It's $17 for a specialty large pizza, $12 for a large cheese pizza and $1.75 for each topping. Fortunately you can get excellent discounts by email, if you join their club, or with the coupon supplements that come in the newspaper (they also wanted me to sign up to receive offers as texts, but I would pay them not to annoy me like that). For example, I now have a newspaper coupon for a large 1 topping pizza for $5 instead of the usual $13.75. That's 63% off. 50% off is their more typical best offer, and they also send out lots of far less generous offers, which I ignore. If you join their club you also accumulate points you can occasionally use to get free pizza, desserts, etc. (Their chocolate chip cookie is interesting, it looks like a small pizza that's been cut into wedges.) You might want to save up those points until they have a special offer for some freebie at a reduced point cost. (I rated them as having a good value, but that's only with the coupons. Without them it's a poor value.)

Their web site works well, even allowing you to specify which half of the pizza to apply a topping to. You can order a pizza at a specified time and pay for it when you pick it up. They email you a confirmation.

• Visited July 2014

Farmington Hills, Michigan
“great pizza”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I love the thick crust pizza. Salads and bread are also excellent. Excellent prepared and good service

Visited May 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great Pizza. Garlic butter dipping sauce is wonderful :-)”
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Great Pizza. Garlic butter dipping sauce is wonderful :-)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook