“The food sucks”

The Island Grill
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Fair Haven
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a boater and travel to various restaurants with many other boaters on Lake St. Clair.. This was my 3rd time coming to this Restaurant/bar and won't be coming back to Eat! I don't like the Pay at the window for your food then grab a # and sit down and we will bring it to you in a to-go plate. 3 of us had "Burgers" nothing fancy.. they ask you how would you like them cooked.. Medium rare came well done.. all 3 of us have overcooked/well done burgers.. almost like they are not cooking to order then why ask us how we want them cooked? or had extra sitting around on the grill inside that were over-cooked. There are no waitresses on hand to come to your table.. If you don't like your food how do you get your $ back? you have already prepaid to eat it. My one friend had the perch reuben and she said that was okay.. a little diff with a pretzel bun and cole slaw on the top. I was told that the person in charge of the kitchen also had a restaurant that went out of business. If the food keeps going out the way it is or menu items don't change because it's not that impressive I can see this happening to this place which would be a shame with all this $$$ that was put into it to build it. The only good thing about it is the nice colorful key west atmosphere overlooking part of the bay area. The prices are high.. $8 for a liquor drink in a small plastic cup with no happy hour prices on them ever is not good. Or if you want a bucket of beer $14 for domestics of 5 beers.
I would not eat here again unless the cooks have changed and the menu items were updated along with the table side service that your not getting. I would've had a better burger at the Raft which isn't very far by boat from this place. I can count 5 other people that had bad food experience here besides me and my guest on the boat. I hope they take it in consideration to turn things around.
Maybe next year!

2  Thank lovemexico14

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were pretty impressed with the place. The food was excellent, we had the perch reubens and really enjoyed them. We pulled up in the boat and the folks were really helpful getting a slip for us and then welcoming us to the restaurant. I would rather have a server take orders and bring us food and drinks to the table rather than ordering food from the window and drinks from the bar, but only a slight inconvenience. Yes, prices were a little steep, but it is on the water and a very short season for business. The view of the bay is pretty nice too, all in all a pretty nice experience and we will be back.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The food is good, but boaters who are not familiar with this part of the lake are a nuisance for those of us who live/keep boats on the creek. If you come here, remember you are in a navigable waterway with others trying to enjoy themselves. You are not the only ones needing to use the cut into the creek or need to pass by the gas dock. Also, the creek is a NO WAKE zone. The home owners will take your MC numbers and report you to the sheriff's department.

5  Thank A B
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a brand new place that has changed boating in Anchor Bay. We now have a first class, fun and interesting boating destination (or by car) for lunch or dinner and drinks. They have put a lot of money into this place to make it really different - a Key West feel - with a super view of the lake and great boat activity passing below. The upper deck has an incredible view of the lake. Food is very good and interesting, staff is very friendly and responsive. Transient docks for the restaurant are brand new. Lots of boat activity below that is fun to watch while eating/drinking.
Aside from maybe making it too busy for me, I say to you, GO! Have fun at this place.
I love it. Been there four times already this summer, twice by boat.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

yYou have to order your food from the lower level, then you move up stairs and wait for your food to come in a to go container. Condiments are on a separate table not yours. Drinks are overpriced as well as the food, the view is nice but not worth it won't be back.

4  Thank Donald S