“Friendly, Clean, but a little outdated.”

Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Great Hotel, friendly staff, a little outdated. I stayed at this hotel 4 nights on a business trip. The building is clean, just needs an update. The staff members are super friendly. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Whenever passing through escanaba we stay here. Over the past few stays, room prices have increased, cleanliness and attention to detail have decreased. This will be our last stay at this hotel due to the increase of price to $112 even including an AARP discount. The mattresses are in need of replacement. Cleanliness is substandard because we found a glob of hair on the shower wall, which makes us concerned of the overall cleanliness.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Plb1959
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Nice Hotel however it is not within walking distance to restaurants or bars other than those on site. We did go to their bar, Pacino's Pub for dinner which was good except for the shrimp cocktail which did not have much flavor and therefore was overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2014

When I consider overall value, this property is below average. The AAA rate during my stay was $112.00 (plus taxes). This is not a $100.00/night hotel. Based on my 130+ nights/year in a hotel for the past 20 years, this is a $75.00-$80.00/night hotel. Room was clean but dated and nothing spectacular. It did have a microwave and mini fridge however, it had been some time since the fridge had been cleaned. In fact, when I opened the little freezer compartment, there was a meatloaf frozen dinner completely frozen into the freezer. The free breakfast was below the standard that I am used to and there really weren't any healthy options (I ended up eating breakfast out all three mornings during my stay). There was no "free" morning paper, an amenity that I am used to at the other chains I stay at. Wireless internet was fine with adequate speeds most of the time. In the future, I will consider staying in Iron Mountain, which is only around 50 miles away at a much nicer hotel for about 15% less than this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was here on business, this hotel advertised continental breakfast, that service is no longer a part of the stay. There is not a fitness center. The hotel is very dated and loud. What was advertised on the website was not anywhere close to the experience I had. On the bright spot Pacino's is nice, especially the pub area downstairs.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank S L R
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Nice meal in Pacino's. Tuscan Chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce were excellent. Good beer selection. Service a bit spotty. Clean room with great bed. Breakfast was disappointing with over cooked eggs and few choices overall. Surprised they got a Tripadvsor award.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My stay at the hotel was pleasant. The problem that I encountered was that the hotel double charged my card, and then refused to refund me the additional charge and were extremely unpleasant to deal with on the phone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escanaba
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 10 in Escanaba
Terrace Bay Hotel
Terrace Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Gladstone

Been to Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites

Address: 2635 Ludington St, Escanaba, MI 49829-1332 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites)
Location: United States > Michigan > Upper Peninsula > Escanaba
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Price Range: $93 - $138 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites 3*
Welcome to Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites! Looking for a quiet getaway? The Magnuson Grand provides a great night's sleep and much more! Grab a bite to eat and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere at Pacino's, our hotel restaurant. Our property is conveniently located on the west end of Escanaba. We provide the perfect answer for the business traveler, tourist, sportsman, and senior citizen. Located just minutes from the mall, Family Fun Park, cinema, and downtown. Also located only two miles from Ludington Park on Little Bay de Noc, the beach and the greatest walleye fishing in the U.P. Nature is all around us! Our hotel is minutes from the water and hiking/ORV trails. Enjoy a round of golf at one of our five area courses, all located within ten miles of our property. Our friendly staff is here to ensure that you have a wonderful vacation. SORRY, WE DO NOT ACCEPT PETS! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Escanaba