“Nice Hotel”

Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Nice Hotel however it is not within walking distance to restaurants or bars other than those on site. We did go to their bar, Pacino's Pub for dinner which was good except for the shrimp cocktail which did not have much flavor and therefore was overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites

Reviewed August 15, 2014

When I consider overall value, this property is below average. The AAA rate during my stay was $112.00 (plus taxes). This is not a $100.00/night hotel. Based on my 130+ nights/year in a hotel for the past 20 years, this is a $75.00-$80.00/night hotel. Room was clean but dated and nothing spectacular. It did have a microwave and mini fridge however, it had been some time since the fridge had been cleaned. In fact, when I opened the little freezer compartment, there was a meatloaf frozen dinner completely frozen into the freezer. The free breakfast was below the standard that I am used to and there really weren't any healthy options (I ended up eating breakfast out all three mornings during my stay). There was no "free" morning paper, an amenity that I am used to at the other chains I stay at. Wireless internet was fine with adequate speeds most of the time. In the future, I will consider staying in Iron Mountain, which is only around 50 miles away at a much nicer hotel for about 15% less than this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I was here on business, this hotel advertised continental breakfast, that service is no longer a part of the stay. There is not a fitness center. The hotel is very dated and loud. What was advertised on the website was not anywhere close to the experience I had. On the bright spot Pacino's is nice, especially the pub area downstairs.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank S L R
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Nice meal in Pacino's. Tuscan Chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce were excellent. Good beer selection. Service a bit spotty. Clean room with great bed. Breakfast was disappointing with over cooked eggs and few choices overall. Surprised they got a Tripadvsor award.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My stay at the hotel was pleasant. The problem that I encountered was that the hotel double charged my card, and then refused to refund me the additional charge and were extremely unpleasant to deal with on the phone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was not the quality that I expect from Best Western. The Double Queen room was very small and much better suited as a Queen single. Definitely could use an update in furniture and mattresses !!! We were there for the NTA National convention checking in the day BEFORE it started . The room should have been cleaned better....there was dust and some dead bugs on the ledge by the air conditioner. The carpet needed cleaning . The breakfast was also not the quality I expected....scrambled eggs were tasteless.....sausage links were only warm .....no toast ( who doesn't have Toast!!!) .....we only ate there one morning and went elsewhere the second morning. We would not have stayed for the second night but every place was booked full because of the convention. My reviews are usually not this critical but if I ever went back to to that area I would chose some place different. Best Western asked me for a review and believe me they GOT ONE!!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon E
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This hotel was very clean, beds were comfortable. The breakfast was tasty. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We used the pool to let off steam after the day in the car with kids. We stayed one night on our way through the area but ended up spending the day sightseeing.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Travelers also viewed these Escanaba hotels
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 10 in Escanaba
Hiawatha Motel
Hiawatha Motel
#4 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites

Address: 2635 Ludington St, Escanaba, MI 49829-1332 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn & Suites)
Location: United States > Michigan > Upper Peninsula > Escanaba
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Price Range: $102 - $151 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites 3*
Welcome to Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites! Looking for a quiet getaway? The Magnuson Grand provides a great night's sleep and much more! Grab a bite to eat and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere at Pacino's, our hotel restaurant. Our property is conveniently located on the west end of Escanaba. We provide the perfect answer for the business traveler, tourist, sportsman, and senior citizen. Located just minutes from the mall, Family Fun Park, cinema, and downtown. Also located only two miles from Ludington Park on Little Bay de Noc, the beach and the greatest walleye fishing in the U.P. Nature is all around us! Our hotel is minutes from the water and hiking/ORV trails. Enjoy a round of golf at one of our five area courses, all located within ten miles of our property. Our friendly staff is here to ensure that you have a wonderful vacation. SORRY, WE DO NOT ACCEPT PETS! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Escanaba