“Kinda like Grandma's house”

Magnuson Grand Pioneer Inn and Suites
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Duluth, Minnesota
“Kinda like Grandma's house”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife's Grandma's house was built in the '40s. This hotel was built a while ago. Grandma's house has dated furniture from the '80s that still works but is tired. Same at this hotel. Grandma's house has birch doors nicely stained with a high varnish topcoat. Same as this hotel. Grandma's house has a little bit crusty shower with 4" square tiles on the walls. Same as this hotel. Grandma's house has hot water heat. Same as this hotel. Grandma's house has a little sign reminding you to turn off the light. Same as this hotel. Grandma's house smells like Grandma's house. This hotel smells like Grandma's house too. Grandma's house is clean. Really really really clean. Exactly like this hotel. The food at Grandma's house is yummy. The food at this hotel is yummy too. Grandmas house has a bar in the basement. So does this hotel - and the bartenders take care of you just like Grandpa would if he were still with us. I like to stay at Grandmas house. I like to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Burnaby, BC
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After reading other reviews, I first tried a unique historic downtown hotel. But at 6:15 PM on a Sunday it, like much of the downtown was locked up tight.
So I drove on the Best Western. My intuition told me that anyone operating such a large and attractive property would not allow it to be too shabby inside and I was glad to find I was right.
The young lady at the front desk was very friendly and happily answered all my questions, and provided menus of local restaurants and a list of these and their Sunday hours. (Ended up eating in my room which had a larger than average refrigerator and a microwave.)
Because I wanted Wi-Fi, I was upgraded at no charge to a King suite in a wing that had better reception.The room was clean, large and the bed quite comfortable. It was very quiet - in fact the place almost felt deserted. There were no smells or odors whatsoever - until I left some garlic bread in the microwave too long. My bad...
I enjoyed a nice swim in the good-sized indoor pool the next morning. I had it all to myself.
Breakfast in the attached restaurant was a bit better than many typical BW hot breakfasts with the addition of home-fry potatoes. The attendant was very pleasant, informative and quite friendly.

I had NO problems whatsoever with my stay and was extremely happy I chose this hotel.
I might suggest that travellers check their room first and if they don't like it, ask what else is available. And in this small and a bit out-of-the-way town, don't expect all granite counters, but hopefully with the help of the friendly staff you will find a good room that otherwise fits your needs.

Room Tip: Check it out and if not satisfied, ask to see another. Let desk clerk know if you will be using wi-f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was in town on business and my usual Comfort Suites was booked. I have stayed at other Best Westerns so figured I would give this place a chance. The first room I got was one of the worse hotel rooms I have ever been in-very dingy, dark, spartan. I am a diamond member and when I called the desk to ask about an upgrade they seemed surprised. I shouldn't have to ask to get a good room. The one I was moved to was adequate but still not very good. Every time I walked up and down my hall I went by a door that was continually left opened to show a filthy room. I don't know if this was for a long term patron but it was sleezy. I used all of my door locks. I got a coupon for a free breakfast that I was told was for a "continental breakfast" Since that is free anyway at most hotels I didn't bother.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Indian River, Michigan
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent one night here on our way to Wisconsin with our 2 year old granddaughter. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. The room was very clean. We were impressed at how clean the bathroom was. We swam in the sparkling warm water of the indoor pool. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and plan on returning again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We do an annual road trip from Colorado to Michigan at Christmas and always take a different route back to Colorado. We stayed in Escanaba and selected this hotel based on positive reviews on trip adviser. The hotel was clean, quiet, nice room, friendly staff and we had dinner at the attached restaurant. The food there was good and staff nice. We would definitely stay here again if we pass through this way again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I highly reccomend the Pioneer Inn to any traveling sales people or family vacationers as it is a full service motel (pool, resturant & pub) with very friendly and courteous employees who are second to none in providing guest services and the motel is clean, quiet and have been updated regularly.

I have stayed there for 25 years while on business as a sales person with no unpleasant experiences. As a result I and my family have continued to stay at this motel for return trips every summer to play in the Wis/Mich tennis tournament.

Bill S.
Green Bay, Wi

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
North East
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The best western is an OK place to stay, its clean quiet and comfortable. The bar restaurant downstairs is also pretty decent. Reasonable price too. There aren't that many other hotels in town and having stayed at some of the others I think this is the best in town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business