“Interesting place - in a good way”
Review of House of Ludington

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Escanaba
House of Ludington
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife, son and I (along with another couple) were camping in the UP. After two days, we packed up on the third due to rain. We traveled to Escanaba to escape the rain for some lunch, knowing that camping was not going to happen that night. We stopped downtown at a brew pub, and asked if there were any places nearby (as in downtown, not on the edges of town) to stay, as we found the area to be interesting. We were told of the House of Ludington, which we found to be an odd name since we were nowhere near Ludington.
Anyway, we popped in and reserved two rooms. They were clean and comfortable, but the best part was the dining room/bar area. We didn't eat (as we already had), but there were people there raving about the food. Then, after the kitchen closed, we sat with the owners and had drinks. They were truly unique and wonderful people. We had an absolutely terrific time. Also, the price was terrific, especially since we had already paid for the night camping. All in all we had a great time. I'm sure my son would have liked a pool, but he actually had fun exploring the hotel. It's just a great, old building that is out of the cookie cutter mold that most hotels fit. If you are into history and tradition, this is a wonderful place to stay. Even if you don't stay here but are travelling through, stop and eat and have a few drinks. It's definitely worth it.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PortWashingtonDan
There are newer reviews for House of Ludington

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is a bit quirky, but it's pretty nice and I'd stay here again.

It's really more like a B&B than a hotel, but you don't get breakfast. Expect a B&B style of room, amenities, and interaction with the owners.

Some units in the building are actually apartments, so it's a mixed-use space. Some of the hallways are long and dark, and the wood paneling makes it feel a bit like the hotel from The Shining.

But, it's clean and quiet, great location, and a great view of the water. You can't beat the price and the location. I would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank USA_Super_Traveler
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a night and loved it! It's very unique. It felt like you were staying in someone's very old house. The owners were very warm and friendly and made us feel at home. Everything is old, but very clean and comfortable. It has lots of charm and character. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious. If we were ever in the area again, we would definitely stay there again. If you want something very different than a regular hotel experience, this is your place.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vickie k
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good value and unique, Interesting hotel. Good food and reasonably priced. Very unique decor. Loved it. I was a little nervous because of the mixed reviews but was very pleased with my stay. Would definitely stay here again if ever up in this area again. Great view of the lake. Great location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Made a reservation for April2013 in November 2012. Two weeks prior to reservation called to check on it and the Hotel said sorry we are full and don't have room for you. Never stay at a mom and pop hotel that doesn't use a computer to take reservations!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank todu121
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is definitely a real experience. When we were there the elevator was broken, so we were glad we were only on the second floor. Room was very clean and the hotel has the decor one would expect from the owners' wanting to personalize the facility. The impression we got is that the owners really care about their hotel. We looked in a couple other rooms and each was decorated differently. The dinner was excellent, with a nice variety. The owner was minding the front desk and also waiting tables. Despite being a bit slow, the food was still hot. A person in a wheelchair would have had a serious challenge with our room, even if the elevator were working. I don't know if they have accessible rooms.

If you don't mind an older facility with spotty wifi, this will be a break from the chain hotels on the edge of town. The rates are reasonable - the rooms with a view of the lake are the more expensive rooms. The location is unbeatable if downtown by the lake appeals to you. Breakfast recommendation was spot-on.

Room Tip: Ask the owner for recommendations.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim C
Reviewed September 28, 2012

While I enjoyed my one night stay at House of Ludington it isn’t for everyone… This is a historical hotel that has keys hanging behind the desk. When you check in you get a key to the front door so after hours you can come and go. It reminds me of some of the small hotels I have stayed at in Europe. The restaurant looked inviting but I had already eaten and breakfast is not available (on Sunday anyway). I was lucky that the desk was attended (~7:00 PM) when I arrived without a reservation. The room price was attractive, much lower than expected.
The room was clean and as the note advised it took a little time for the hot water to get to my room. I had a nice view of the lake and a very large room that was clean and safe. Nice place to stay if you want something different and time is your own. There are sitting rooms with books, nice art work with a nautical theme. I was unable to get the Wifi to work. I would stay again and try the restaurant.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a nice view of the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo